The Witcher (Netflix)

Started by Ingwar, May 17, 2017, 12:17:20 PM

Author
The Witcher (Netflix) (Read 25,314 times)

Highland

Highland

It's pretty tough when the casting specifically asks for that, you'd have to think that was always intended or there's been a push from the company. Is Netflix in the Asian countries?

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Sep 09, 2018, 07:29:36 PM
Well, the author seems to think otherwise :P

https://twitter.com/LHissrich/status/994977654750167040

I absolutely agree with Sapkowski and Lauren about this but unfortunately it doesn't apply to Ciri. She is not some minor unimportant girl. She is one of the main characters, next to Geralt and Yennefer. Imagine Robin Hood, King Arthur or Harry Potter played by non-white guy. Or imagine you're Japanese and you're watching movie about Miyamoto Musashi, legendary Japanese swordsman and philosopher, who is not portrayed by Japanese actor but by White or Black man. How would you feel about that?

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Sep 09, 2018, 08:38:07 PM
It is better to not upset the Polish people, and I'm aware of how important is this particular canon for them. But the thing is that not every single fan was raised in that part of the world. Some are just racist folks. Also, the Witcher is a fantasy world, based on another fantasy from the real world but still a fantasy at the end of the day.  :P

The essence of the character should be more important than his/her physical appearance. Also, Poland was much more diverse in the past: Ethnic minorities in Poland.

I do understand that it's just a fantasy. Ciri, Geralt, Yennefer and others are not Polish, they're not even Eastern European or Anglo-Saxon. Poland and other Eastern European countries and other cultures (for example Celtic one) don't exist in Witcher universe. It's all fiction. But Witcher novels are based upon Slavic/Celtic roots. Then why would you change one of the main character's origin into non-white? What's the point of doing it? Is there some kind of agenda? It's ridiculous.

Highland

Highland

Well yeah there is clearly some sort of agenda if the casting specifically asks for a certain type of person when that character has never appeared as that type of person. Either because the author had that in mind or just the usual Disney bubbles.  I think you probably know the answer.

Could be good still if they nail a good actress, but can't say I don't understand the gripes. Be different if they looked at a lot of actresses THEN chose the best one for the part.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 10, 2018, 07:38:43 AM
I absolutely agree with Sapkowski and Lauren about this but unfortunately it doesn't apply to Ciri. She is not some minor unimportant girl. She is one of the main characters, next to Geralt and Yennefer. Imagine Robin Hood, King Arthur or Harry Potter played by non-white guy. Or imagine you're Japanese and you're watching movie about Miyamoto Musashi, legendary Japanese swordsman and philosopher, who is not portrayed by Japanese actor but by White or Black man. How would you feel about that?

If black panther was played by a white guy, they would all acuse Marvel of racism.

Quote from: Highland on Sep 10, 2018, 10:33:11 AM
Well yeah there is clearly some sort of agenda if the casting specifically asks for a certain type of person when that character has never appeared as that type of person. Either because the author had that in mind or just the usual Disney bubbles.  I think you probably know the answer.

Could be good still if they nail a good actress, but can't say I don't understand the gripes. Be different if they looked at a lot of actresses THEN chose the best one for the part.

Yeah, if they are truly excluding white women of participating in the casting process and trying to make the character have specifically an apperance that it shouldn't have while also knowing the response the fanbase will have... that pattern has repeated enough in several series to see that this is intentional with a agenda behind it.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 10, 2018, 01:06:37 PM
If black panther was played by a white guy, they would all acuse Marvel of racism.

So true, unfortunately.

The Old One

The Old One

It's not unfortunate, both are wrong.

It's intrinsic for Black Panther to be of a specific race.

A more apt comparison is Scarlett Johansson as the Major in GITS.

Master

Master

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Sep 09, 2018, 07:29:36 PM
Well, the author seems to think otherwise :P

https://twitter.com/LHissrich/status/994977654750167040

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Sep 09, 2018, 08:38:07 PM
It is better to not upset the Polish people, and I'm aware of how important is this particular canon for them. But the thing is that not every single fan was raised in that part of the world. Some are just racist folks. Also, the Witcher is a fantasy world, based on another fantasy from the real world but still a fantasy at the end of the day.  :P

The essence of the character should be more important than his/her physical appearance. Also, Poland was much more diverse in the past: Ethnic minorities in Poland.

I do understand that it's just a fantasy. Ciri, Geralt, Yennefer and others are not Polish, they're not even Eastern European or Anglo-Saxon. Poland and other Eastern European countries and other cultures (for example Celtic one) don't exist in Witcher universe. It's all fiction. But Witcher novels are based upon Slavic/Celtic roots. Then why would you change one of the main character's origin into non-white? What's the point of doing it? Is there some kind of agenda? It's ridiculous.

Actually, they do :laugh:  But not exactly in the world Geralt live in.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Yeah, you're right. But it's just a bonus situation :).

Master

Master

;)

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 10, 2018, 01:06:37 PM

Yeah, if they are truly excluding white women of participating in the casting process and trying to make the character have specifically an apperance that it shouldn't have while also knowing the response the fanbase will have... that pattern has repeated enough in several series to see that this is intentional with a agenda behind it.

It works two fold for them, it upsets the main line fans, but....... I've mentioned this in other threads -

Think of a way to drum up hits on your announcement and get lots of people talking about your knew product. How would you do this? Change a persons sexuality. Change a persons culture. Watch your twitter hits fly.

Free marketing. That's your agenda.

Ingwar

Ingwar

You're right, people will talk about it but only in negative way. This agenda will ruin the series. Witcher is a cult following not only in Poland, but in Central and Eastern Europe as well. Fan love books and games and changing main character skin colour already have pissed thousands of fans. Just check twitter. People are furious as hell. What kind of marketing is this? It's nonsense. I don't get it.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 11, 2018, 01:52:01 AM
You're right, people will talk about it but only in negative way. This agenda will ruin the series. Witcher is a cult following not only in Poland, but in Central and Eastern Europe as well. Fan love books and games and changing main character skin colour already have pissed thousands of fans. Just check twitter. People are furious as hell. What kind of marketing is this? It's nonsense. I don't get it.

Because the old saying is still true. There's no such thing as bad press.

Ingwar

Ingwar

They focusing of marketing instead of being respectful to the source materiel. Yes, fans are talking about it right now but not because they're happy but because they got mental. Make a good series that fans will like and enjoy and you will receive positive outcome. Doing what they're doing will make things worse. Mark my words.

Besides, what kind of marketing its this? Who's the target? Ordinary Netflix users? They don't even know what's happening because they're not Witcher fans. It doesn't apply to them. And if it doesn't apply then Netflix won't profit on them. Simple. Then why would you make Witcher fandom angry? Or any fandom in general? People will boycott this. You know how it ended up with Solo. Netflix underestimate die-hard fans and they're gonna pay for it unless they will change their casting decision.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 11, 2018, 10:10:47 AM
Netflix underestimate die-hard fans and they're gonna pay for it unless they will change their casting decision.

If the series is good and generates a buzz, the die hard fans won't mean dick. Just like they didn't with Resident Evil. Die hard fans hated those movies, but they made a billion dollars and more.

Diversity and political correctness are things now - they're often annoying but showbiz is notoriously left wing... and no writer or show can be seen to be ignoring those quotas. As has been said: diversity = good. It's been a long time coming and it's extremely positive.  Forced diversity = bad.

Also, as Highland says, it's free marketing and there's no such thing as bad press. Like the massive shit-storm over the stunt-casting of black actors in Troy: Fall of a City. Anyone that thinks making Achilles a black dude wasn't a calculated decision is deluding themselves. But you know what - it worked. People talked about it and I'm betting it made some of them watch the show just to see what all the fuss was about. 

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 11, 2018, 10:10:47 AM
They focusing of marketing instead of being respectful to the source materiel. Yes, fans are talking about it right now but not because they're happy but because they got mental. Make a good series that fans will like and enjoy and you will receive positive outcome. Doing what they're doing will make things worse. Mark my words.

Besides, what kind of marketing its this? Who's the target? Ordinary Netflix users? They don't even know what's happening because they're not Witcher fans. It doesn't apply to them. And if it doesn't apply then Netflix won't profit on them. Simple. Then why would you make Witcher fandom angry? Or any fandom in general? People will boycott this. You know how it ended up with Solo. Netflix underestimate die-hard fans and they're gonna pay for it unless they will change their casting decision.

There is no target. The idea is simply to gather as much attention to the product as possible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed