Peter Weyland and David

Started by bambi_burster, Mar 23, 2012, 09:38:56 AM

Author
Peter Weyland and David (Read 10,692 times)

Despicable Dugong

Despicable Dugong

Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 24, 2012, 11:24:36 PM
Wait a minute. Are you suggesting here that decisions made by our brains subconsciously count as us being in control and thus making a choice, just as much as conscious decision making? To me that seems crazy. It's not just semantics and how you define the concept of free will.
  As far as I'm concerned, if I don't consciously decide something, based on the immediate awareness of the possible options and their potential outcomes, then I haven't made a choice. If as one of these famous studies suggests, that the brain already starts sending a signal to start doing something before the person has any sense of desire to do that particular thing, then they have not chosen to do that particular thing.

Ergh im hungover and have to get the chainsaw out in a minute and get to work on the garden. My poor head.  :-\

A nice and accurate summation Ballzanya - pretty much my view on the matter.  :)

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 24, 2012, 11:03:59 PMThe neuro-scientific studies that have been conducted in the recent past, and cited in scientific journals, pose interesting scientific questions as to how the brain operates, but shed little light on the properties of our mind.

What is a 'mind?'

escroto

escroto

You peole have seriously derailed this thread big time.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 24, 2012, 10:36:57 PMSo what I'm arguing, or at least one of the things I'm arguing is that, neither you nor anyone else is in any position to claim that you know that you make decisions based on free will, unrestrained by subconscious factors,  biases, prejudices, genetic predispositions, past experiences, and so on, just because you have a "sense" of making choices and being in control of your actions. Which now leads to a sci-fi related question: If artificial intelligence were possible to engineer, who's to say we couldn't make robots that had the sense of being in control of their own actions, although they were ultimately programmed on some level?
I never said our decisions are based on free will, I thought I formulated it quite simply and pellucidly
Quote from: aliennaire on Mar 24, 2012, 09:19:33 PM
It's no way an illusion, free will enables you with the power to choose and agree or oppose, depending on your choice. I'm not talking about situations when you are obliged to act in certain manner due to laws, conventions, habits, etc, I mean you true reaction, which you always have inside yourself.

For the start, didn't you ever had a feeling, that, while you have made some decision, there was something naggingly uncomfortable, screaming totally against that resolution, but you should have kept on going with what you decided, because that move was rational, prestigious or money-promising?

For the second, let me exemplify with a simple instance, what I imply by free will. Imagine yourself put in an empty white room with no doors, nor windows. You don't rememeber who you are, also you have no idea where you're now, you're just a man, standing at the centre of the empty room. And you're told to sit, what will you do?

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: aliennaire on Mar 25, 2012, 03:25:22 PM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 24, 2012, 10:36:57 PMSo what I'm arguing, or at least one of the things I'm arguing is that, neither you nor anyone else is in any position to claim that you know that you make decisions based on free will, unrestrained by subconscious factors,  biases, prejudices, genetic predispositions, past experiences, and so on, just because you have a "sense" of making choices and being in control of your actions. Which now leads to a sci-fi related question: If artificial intelligence were possible to engineer, who's to say we couldn't make robots that had the sense of being in control of their own actions, although they were ultimately programmed on some level?
I never said our decisions are based on free will, I thought I formulated it quite simply and pellucidly
Quote from: aliennaire on Mar 24, 2012, 09:19:33 PM
It's no way an illusion, free will enables you with the power to choose and agree or oppose, depending on your choice. I'm not talking about situations when you are obliged to act in certain manner due to laws, conventions, habits, etc, I mean you true reaction, which you always have inside yourself.

For the start, didn't you ever had a feeling, that, while you have made some decision, there was something naggingly uncomfortable, screaming totally against that resolution, but you should have kept on going with what you decided, because that move was rational, prestigious or money-promising?

For the second, let me exemplify with a simple instance, what I imply by free will. Imagine yourself put in an empty white room with no doors, nor windows. You don't rememeber who you are, also you have no idea where you're now, you're just a man, standing at the centre of the empty room. And you're told to sit, what will you do?

Um.. subconscious processes causing a person to do something does not count as a decision. To decide, implies you have control of your faculties and are unrestricted in the choices you could possibly make.

Also your little scenario doesn't really make sense. I don't get what you're aiming at with it. But the choices do seem limited even in that hypothetical scenario. Assuming the voice is from another person in the room, or from a loudspeaker in another room you are unaware of and that the person could presumably hear you, you can talk to the person, actually just sit down, or try and leave. However, these "choices" aren't really unrestrained by other factors.
  Presuming that the person with no memory in the room wants to live and is in relatively good mental health, the decision to just sit without question and no hesitation seems astronomically unlikely, so its not as if a person really has the option to do that for all intents and purposes. It may be a possible choice, but if 100% of the time anyone in that situation would never do it, then it's moot as a possible option. So we toss that choice out.
   We're left with talking to the person, or leaving. But since the person doesn't know where they are, I think they would be inclined to gather as much information from the person who told them to sit as they possibly could.  So once again, unless the person was abnormally irrational or clueless, anyone in the same situation would basically have the desire to find out where they are before just mindlessly walking out the door. So we can rule out just sitting, and also just leaving.
   So it seems the person in the room without their memory only had one choice, even if it could break down into minor variations on the conversation etc.

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 24, 2012, 11:54:46 PM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 24, 2012, 11:24:36 PM
Wait a minute. Are you suggesting here that decisions made by our brains subconsciously count as us being in control and thus making a choice, just as much as conscious decision making? To me that seems crazy. It's not just semantics and how you define the concept of free will.
  As far as I'm concerned, if I don't consciously decide something, based on the immediate awareness of the possible options and their potential outcomes, then I haven't made a choice. If as one of these famous studies suggests, that the brain already starts sending a signal to start doing something before the person has any sense of desire to do that particular thing, then they have not chosen to do that particular thing.

I think it become both a question of definition, as well as identification/classification.  I ask you to consider your dreams.  Now, if we don't think too carefully, we tend to dismiss our dreams as more or less random and many times incoherent.  But if you really think deeply about some of your dreams, you realize that often there is a narrative.  Events often occur in your dreams that surprise you, but are still consistent within that particular dream.  What part of your mind is planning how the dream unfolds?  I am not talking about when your dreams fragment, or go of the rails.  But rather the physical continuity of a relatively lucid dream, itself.  If, in your dream, you are being chased by a monster, and suddenly come upon a weapon...it was your subconscious that "thought" to include the weapon.  If you choose to pick up the weapon, and fire back at the monster...that is all occuring at a "sub-conscious" level.  When dreams are vivid, there is a definite sense that some narrative is being planned and played out.  Who is writing that narrative?

Evidently, there is a very real agent that resides deep within our mind, that operates on a sub-conscious level.  You certainly are making "decisions" within your dreams...and these occur at the "sub-conscious" level...so how exactly does that differ from a decision you make in an awake, "conscious" state?

A brief word on the previously referenced neuro-studies on Free Will.  A major difficulty lies in the fact that the subject must identify (by looking at a clock), when they were first aware that they had made a conscious decision to, say, lift their wrist, or push a button.  This requires introspection on the part of the subject, and identification of intentionality.  The subject does not give the researcher direct access to the moment they were first aware of their "intention"...but must tell them afterwards.  They have to recall the position of the clock.

Another problem is determining if the "readiness potential" (identified by neural signature) is always followed by an action.  The subject may show definite neural signs/brain waves indicated they have a readiness potential, but no action results.  There is no way for the researcher to discriminate between the measurement of a given readiness potential, and the subjects intentionality to act or not to act.

Finally, as I emphasized previously, it is not at all apparent or evident that "willful" actions and influences on our behavior operate exclusively on a conscious level.  The aforementioned studies, however, are based specifically on this assumption.  The whole thing falls apart if one allows that the "will" can also operate on unconscious processes...or that our mind may also function with "pre-conscious" intentions.

Well, dreams are fictions created by our brains. Contrary to what some crazy, new-age type whackos might think, we don't leave our body during our sleep, nor can we take control of our dreams, and steer them into a type of "lucid dream" of a fantastic nature(as opposed to the actual concept of dreams that just seem real, which people do have.)
   So the subconscious is the ONLY thing at work during dreams in terms of the divide between subconscious and conscious processes at least. Therefore I seem no room to argue any part of a person's dreams can invoke a "will" on their part. The perception of being in control in a dream, which you aren't aware is in fact a dream, is hardly proof of free will. Since unlike reality, we know for sure dreams are illusions.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 25, 2012, 11:13:07 PM
Well, dreams are fictions created by our brains. Contrary to what some crazy, new-age type whackos might think, we don't leave our body during our sleep, nor can we take control of our dreams, and steer them into a type of "lucid dream" of a fantastic nature(as opposed to the actual concept of dreams that just seem real, which people do have.)
   So the subconscious is the ONLY thing at work during dreams in terms of the divide between subconscious and conscious processes at least. Therefore I seem no room to argue any part of a person's dreams can invoke a "will" on their part. The perception of being in control in a dream, which you aren't aware is in fact a dream, is hardly proof of free will. Since unlike reality, we know for sure dreams are illusions.

First, my good Ballzanya, if you know anything about me from this forum, I am decidedly not a "new-age" whacko.  I am a physicist.  Nor, did I ever intimate that we "leave our body's during our sleep"...so, I am not sure why you would even mention such a thing.

Nevertheless, I respectfully disagree (quite emphatically) that we have no control over our dreams.  I am certain that there are many people, here, on this forum, that would acknowledge that they have "willed" themselves to wake up from a bad dream.  I know that I have.  So, the "line in the sand" that you draw between sub-concious will/intention and, conscious (awake) will/intention...seems to me to be quite unreasonable.  In fact, you seem to be totally denying that we have any sub-conscious will/intention.  Despite the example I just provided;  i.e. that many of us actively perceive we are in a dream-state, despite the fact that we are "un-conscious...as you would define it.  The fact that many of us can actively "will" ourselves to awaken from a sub-conscious dream state, is strong evidence that our "will" operates at levels beyond what one would classify as an "awake and alert", conscious state of mind.   

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 26, 2012, 12:08:52 AM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 25, 2012, 11:13:07 PM

First, my good Ballzanya, if you know anything about me from this forum, I am decidedly not a "new-age" whacko.  I am a physicist.  Nor, did I ever intimate that we "leave our body's during our sleep"...so, I am not sure why you would even mention such a thing.

Nevertheless, I respectfully disagree (quite emphatically) that we have no control over our dreams.  I am certain that there are many people, here, on this forum, that would acknowledge that they have "willed" themselves to wake up from a bad dream.  I know that I have.  So, the "line in the sand" that you draw between sub-concious will/intention and, conscious (awake) will/intention...seems to me to be quite unreasonable.  In fact, you seem to be totally denying that we have any sub-conscious will/intention.  Despite the example I just provided;  i.e. that many of us actively perceive we are in a dream-state, despite the fact that we are "un-conscious...as you would define it.  The fact that many of us can actively "will" ourselves to awaken from a sub-conscious dream state, is strong evidence that our "will" operates at levels beyond what one would classify as an "awake and alert", conscious state of mind.

oh. I didn't imply that you were a whacko.  :laugh:
But some people who fit that description,(people who call in to "coast to coast a.m with George Noory" for instance) and those people do believe that sort of stuff.

I don't know how much stock you put into freudian, psycho analysis,  but it seems like it may be too much, with the idea of "subconscious desires" being invoked. Now some of that may be true, but it hardly seems appropriate to label repressed impulses as desires. Also this is going to lead to a ridiculous discussion about solipsism and drag the movie plot of "Inception' in it, and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.  :D

I must address the "willing yourself awake" stuff though. This suffers from the very same problems that a sense of libertarian free will while in a waking state induces. Just as the perception of a conscious desire on the part of the subject doesn't mean that person actually initiated the sequence of events in a causal chain of cognitive processes, when that person is awake. You simply get a transfer of that problem to a perception of being in control while asleep, regardless if you might be able to recognize you are in a dream.(Which has happened to me before by the way.)

Maybe it helps to frame things this way. Who's to say that subconscious/unconscious processes don't need the consciousness to return to the person for reasons of necessity and thus trigger in the dreaming fantasy-scape, the perception of willing yourself awake when it's needed? I mean, the brain does stuff like this in a somewhat related way, for example if the alarm is going of in real life, sometimes that slips into the dream as a kind of beeping, even if it might not be an alarm clock in your dream. Perhaps when the dreaming process is no longer needed, the brain could induce fearful situations, or even death while in the dream, to wake the person up. But it's not like you'd be describing objective reality, when you simply describe what it felt like from the perspective of being the dreamer, when those things are perceived in a dreaming state.

I guess I could summarize one of the problems with your position, with the fact that the perception of will or being in control is always subject to skepticism, and the difference between waking life, dream, hallucination etc. makes no difference in this regard. Just a mere "feeling" of having initiated something consciously, doesn't mean that it is the real, objective description of what's going on.

Cvalda

Cvalda

This thread should be retitled "College Dorm Level Philosophical Discourse on the Nature of Free Will."

Far out, brah.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 26, 2012, 12:23:39 AM
I don't know how much stock you put into freudian, psycho analysis,  but it seems like it may be too much, with the idea of "subconscious desires" being invoked. Now some of that may be true, but it hardly seems appropriate to label repressed impulses as desires. Also this is going to lead to a ridiculous discussion about solipsism and drag the movie plot of "Inception' in it, and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.  :D

For the record, I hold no stock in Freudian/psycho analysis.  The fact that I bring up the subject of dreams, was simply to try to provide an example of a rich sub-conscious landscape that occurs below the level that most anti-"Free Will" advocates ascribe and limit to a purely "conscious" state.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 26, 2012, 12:45:58 AM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 26, 2012, 12:23:39 AM

For the record, I hold no stock in Freudian/psycho analysis.  The fact that I bring up the subject of dreams, was simply to try to provide an example of a rich sub-conscious landscape that occurs below the level that most anti-"Free Will" advocates ascribe and limit to a purely "conscious" state.

Once again, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you believed in pseudo-science, or outdated theories of actual psychology etc.,  I was just exploring all avenues of potential reasoning for why someone would hold views similar to yours. I don't deny a rich subconscious landscape, but then it seems we simply differ on what we get to call "will". Now if it turns out, we  may have a kind of "will" but if it's subconscious, we aren't aware of it and aren't the rational actors so to speak in such a drama of cognitive experience. So it would therefore not be "free will". No one is arguing that everything is completely random, and that within the subconscious or unconscious processes, that absolutely anything goes without structure, making arbitrary things rise to the level of conscious awareness. (Now I know you didn't say that, and I'm not claiming you believe that, but I must comment on it for the benefit of others reading this discussion, I'm just trying to cover all bases, all creative tangents of imagination etc.)

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Ballzanya on Mar 26, 2012, 12:54:30 AM
Once again, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you believed in pseudo-science, or outdated theories of actual psychology etc.,  I was just exploring all avenues of potential reasoning for why someone would hold views similar to yours. I don't deny a rich subconscious landscape, but then it seems we simply differ on what we get to call "will". Now if it turns out, we  may have a kind of "will" but if it's subconscious, we aren't aware of it and aren't the rational actors so to speak in such a drama of cognitive experience. So it would therefore not be "free will". No one is arguing that everything is completely random, and that within the subconscious or unconscious processes, that absolutely anything goes without structure, making arbitrary things rise to the level of conscious awareness. (Now I know you didn't say that, and I'm not claiming you believe that, but I must comment on it for the benefit of others reading this discussion, I'm just trying to cover all bases, all creative tangents of imagination etc.)

Fair enough.  This issue is extremely complex and fascinating, and we obviously can respectfully "agree to disagree".  I do feel that this issue, i.e. "Cognitive Neuroscience has proven that Free Will is an illusion" is a bit of a canard.  After all, this was NOT the conclusion derived by the foremost cited researcher on the subject, Dr. Benjamin Libet, and throughout his life he cautioned his colleagues from making such a deterministic conclusion:

Quote"It is important to recognize the almost universal experience: that we can
act  in  certain  situation  with  a  free,  independent  choice  and  control  of
whether  to  act.  [...]  This  provides  a  kind  of  prima  facie  evidence  that
conscious  mental  processes  can  cause  some  brain  processes.  Our  own
experimental  findings  showed  that  conscious  free  will  does  not  initiate
the final "act now" process; the initiation of it occurs unconsciously. But
conscious  will  certainly  has  the  potentiality  to  control  the  progress  and
outcome  of  volitional  processes.  Thus,  the  experience  of  independent
choice and of control (of whether and when to act) does have a poten-
tially solid validity as not being an illusion. [...] My conclusion about free
will, one genuinely free in the non-determined sense, is that its existence
is at least as good, if not a better, scientific option than is its denial by
natural law determinist theory.
"
-- Libet, B. (1999). Do we have free will? Journal of Consciousness Studies, 6, No. 8–9: 47–57

HenryEllis

HenryEllis

The Problem is Choice

Cvalda

Cvalda

FYI, it's called the Spoiler tag, and you can use it to hide your giant ugly OT blocks of text and keep the page tidy. Just sayin'.

HenryEllis

HenryEllis

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 26, 2012, 01:44:12 AM
FYI, it's called the Spoiler tag, and you can use it to hide your giant ugly OT blocks of text and keep the page tidy. Just sayin'.

Is there anything else you would like us to improve on oh grand master of Forum etiquette?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Henry Ellis on Mar 26, 2012, 01:52:23 AM
Is that directed at me?
At all of you.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Now now, let's not fight, we're here to discuss an dying old man and his pet robot.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed