Predator: Hunting Grounds Trial Weekend Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 27, 2020, 07:07:52 PM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds Trial Weekend Thread (Read 22,127 times)

ResolutionBlaze

Sadly I missed my window to play the game as I only heard about it a day before the trial ends.  But I've watched a good amount of gameplay and wanted to put in my two cents about what I've seen.

As I haven't played the game, I can really only give my impressions from a bystander point of view.

Looks like the game is going to be fun playing as both sides.  I'll definitely be playing Predator when I can, but I wouldn't mind playing Fireteam all day if need be.

I'm coming from Dead By Daylight and I desperately needed an Asymmetrical game to retreat to.  Friday the 13th ran into a ton of legal issues and sadly it died down soon after that, so it isn't really a viable alternative anymore.  I hope this will be it, even if it is an Epic exclusive.

One thing about Dead By Daylight I liked is that the perks are unique and have a good amount of variation to how you can play beyond boring stat increases (Even if DbD is terrible at making the perks generally useful).  This game seems to have the latter, which is unfortunate but not a deal breaker.  Just wish they went a little more crazy and unique with perks. 

Like, instead of Lightbender just consuming less energy while cloaked:

- You consume no energy while standing still in cloaked mode, but do not regain any energy.  Movement while cloaked slightly increases your energy consumption.

- Once you stand still and become completely invisible, after moving you can remain completely invisible for an additional two seconds before going back to standard full-movement cloaking.

A perk like this would encourage the Predator to play in a particular fashion, which changes the way he plays without completely altering his fundamental ability.

There are a few perks like this in the game from what I see that does this well: Perks like Height Advantage and Observant encourage the Predator to play in a particular manner without altering any fundamental mechanics.

Perks like this is useful for Fireteams as well.  Instead of Yautja's Bane just giving a boring stat increase against the Predator, it could go something like this:

- When facing against the Predator alone (Your teammates are at least 20m away or more) with a melee weapon out, you deal bonus damage to the Predator and have increased defense against the Predator's melee attacks.  When with your team, you lose your bonus but your team gains bonus ranged damage against the Predator.

This encourages a more lone-wolf style of play that would make it viable while also not abandoning team dynamic.  Like, I'm not an expert at balancing games, I'm just rattling ideas off the top of my head, but the idea is the same: perks could be more fun instead of just being used to max out some stats.

Corporal Hicks

Am actually jumping on now if anyone wants to join in!

Mr bing bong

Mr bing bong

My experience with this game was so disappointing I got a refund. I found the game and movement clunky and the wait times were ridiculous.  ::)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

RidgeTop and I are now live on Stream! If anyone wants to join in and party up, please let us know, and make sure your party audio settings are set to allow to be shared!

Apologies, the last stream crashed when the game died on us. First time that's happened!

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Quote from: Mr bing bong on Mar 29, 2020, 10:29:54 AM
My experience with this game was so disappointing I got a refund. I found the game and movement clunky and the wait times were ridiculous.  ::)

Wait times are like this in most Asymmetrical games.  I would challenge you to find one that DIDN'T have long wait times.

Depth, Dead By Daylight, White Noise 2...

Friday The 13th circumvented this by using a prioritization system but it meant you couldn't queue up as a Jason, just give the system a suggestion that you should be prioritized to be Jason more than those who do not.  It still functioned the same, except you were often forced to play multiple games as the Counselors before even being able to play Jason once.

That's not even mentioning many other factors that go into it.  Wait times are usually just inherent with many Asymmetrical games unless they use randomization like F13th and Deceit.

Doesn't help that its an Epic Exclusive so its not getting as much traffic as it could with releasing on multiple platforms.

Voodoo Magic

With yesterday's tutorial outrage out of the way, relaxed with alcohol, * remember I did purchase a PS4 strictly for this game*, I had a good time with it. I spent a few hours playing during the day, and then a few more at night. I didn't play as the Predator much, but I did help down a few. The gameplay is indeed a lot of fun. I got to partner up with Kailem which was a good time. The man scored himself a minigun!  We came up with the idea to insert bricks of drug smuggler cocaine in different parts of the map, when snorted, enables a timer where you think your impervious to bullets!  Kailem is emailing the Devs about it now...

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo, you wanna jump on Stream with us?

As in play with us on the stream?

RidgeTop

We'll be back on in a few hours. Any of you are welcome to join us if you want to get some last games in.

Trioxin

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 29, 2020, 02:01:55 PM
We'll be back on in a few hours. Any of you are welcome to join us if you want to get some last games in.
I will hop one in about 10- 16 minuets what platform u play on ?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 29, 2020, 12:46:31 PM
Voodoo, you wanna jump on Stream with us?

At 8:30 in the morning as my better half prepared the divorce papers?   :laugh:  I wish!

I should be on in a couple hours. I hope to squeeze in with you guys then (if room).

Corporal Hicks

Sounds good! Looking forward to it mate.

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Enjoying the game immensely! I haven't had the pleasure of playing with Voodoo or Hicks. Still, there are things I hope illffonic fixes before the official release.

Corporal Hicks

Last stream of the weekend!

molasar

I wonder if it is possible to shoot down the chopper. Has anyone tried that as Predator?

PAS Spinelli

The fact the Predator can just rage quit and cancel the match as soon as he loses is f**king stupid.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed