Strange Shapes

Started by Valaquen, Oct 19, 2012, 03:40:59 AM

Author
Strange Shapes (Read 68,825 times)

SM

SM

I've always assumed it did, but it's impossible to tell.

The tracker shows it moving in a straight line shortly before Dallas is taken - which direction it was coming from though is also impossible to tell.

Gates

Gates

That tracker has always been suspect...you don't know whether to believe it's working properly, or if it was sabotaged from the get go...

f**king Ash... ::)

Valaquen

Primordial

Primordial

Quote from: SM on Oct 26, 2012, 12:11:05 AM
The tracker shows it moving in a straight line shortly before Dallas is taken - which direction it was coming from though is also impossible to tell.
The problem with the tracker is that is tries to show 3D movements on a 2D screen.
Once Lambert finds Dallas, it is able to locate him constantly but doesn't seem able to cope with both Dallas and the Alien movements simultaneously, especially if one goes straight and the other one up or down.
Maybe Ash knew it but didn't tell (just assuming).

From Facehugger/Chestbuster :
Quote from: Dan O'Bannon, Something Perfectly Disgusting
But the planetoid was now dead and this civilisation had been gone for a million years. All that remained of it was this pyramid and the spores – which can survive dormant for incredible lengths of time under even the most adverse conditions.
It's funny to see the contrast between facehugger and xeno short lifespan and the million-years (and probably more) lasting spores.
The parasitic wasp's larvas, once they are out of the caterpillar, are protected by it, it is a really disturbing thought.
In nature, cordyceps fungus are also disturbing things, maybe it could give an idea to some writers (or it already did?) :)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: PrimitifAlien on Oct 30, 2012, 10:39:18 AM
It's funny to see the contrast between facehugger and xeno short lifespan and the million-years (and probably more) lasting spores.
The parasitic wasp's larvas, once they are out of the caterpillar, are protected by it, it is a really disturbing thought.
In nature, cordyceps fungus are also disturbing things, maybe it could give an idea to some writers (or it already did?) :)
For O'Bannon the Alien lived for hundreds of years, and retired from its blood lust to become a scholarly creature. For Scott it was "like a butterfly" and only had a short burst of life. Then Cameron made 'em live for who knows how long.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Nice article on Weyland. 

The Ultramorph/Alien background is quite brilliant.  I see you're reaping in some great images from the Blu-ray.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 25, 2012, 03:21:50 PM
Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Oct 25, 2012, 10:03:47 AM
Thanks for the information about the move
I think wordpress is wonderful. Blogger was a nightmare most of the time. You should try it out! And xeno_alpha too.

It could well be the next thing to do

Valaquen

Valaquen

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Excellent, as usual.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Love learning new stuff about a movie I've known all my life.

Only you could do this to me Val.

Primordial

Primordial

Very nice article and I particulary liked the anecdote about Al Matthews' birthday  :)

About Gorman being said by Vasquez 'you always were an asshole, Gorman', how can we interpret it ?
Does she complains that again he wasn't able to save her (and other people in the past) but still feel pleased he tried to rescue her ?
Or am I mistaken ?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Always saw it as a sort of backhanded... compliment? In a strange way. The way the Marines jostle and make fun of one another, there's a sort of familial kinship that Gorman was always excluded from. I don't think it was meant in a harsh way. The last shot of them both makes them look sort of resigned. It's a sad, heroic moment. Not entirely pyrrhic.

SM

SM

The line says "You shouldn't have come back for me, but I'm glad you did."

The "always" bit is a bit confusing (or interesting if you like).  It implies Vasquez has known Gorman longer than we're lead to believe.

Primordial

Primordial

Thanks guys. Definitely a strong moment of the Saga. Especially the four hands wrapped around the bomb.
And it's good to have some mystery around their previous relationship.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I suspect it's a jesting 'always' - maybe they've been on one or two exercises before, but that'd be about it (the Marines don't seem to need an introduction to Gorman, indicating he's not as new as Ripley). She's as surprised as the rest when he mentions how many combat drops he's done.

Especially considering their respective conduct, indicating she's been in the business for a lot longer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed