Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 134,573 times)

predxeno

I wonder if the writers will ever release a translation guide for this language.

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 27, 2015, 07:06:50 PM
I actually appreciate how the writers have tried to fit Prometheus into the whole AVP universe, we had some pretty awesome things like:

Spoiler
a human-alien hybrid, a black-goo predator, and an upcoming predator vs. engineer fight
[close]

We already had the introduction of "hybrids" in Alien Resurrection so that's not a new idea, and that, along with the other things you mentioned, are about as "awesome" as that four-armed Predator in the Predators comic.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Jan 27, 2015, 08:26:26 PM
We already had the introduction of "hybrids" in Alien Resurrection so that's not a new idea, and that, along with the other things you mentioned, are about as "awesome" as that four-armed Predator in the Predators comic.

Can we forget that abomination?

On the brighter side, for me at least.. most EU material from 2010 has disillusioned me as to whether or not I should take them or not. I mean for me it seems like the new stuff.. most of the new stuff since then has me convinced I don't have to accept them as canon. Thanks to the PREDATORS comics, and of course Colonial Marines.

predxeno

I actually appreciate how the writers have tried to fit Prometheus into the whole AVP universe, we had some pretty awesome things like:

Spoiler
a human-alien hybrid, a black-goo predator, and an upcoming predator vs. engineer fight
[close]

It's nice to see some crossover though, it's a reminder to us, fans, that everything is still in one universe; going into denial about it has never struck me as a very healthy attitude to approach life, no matter how bad the stories were/are.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 27, 2015, 09:47:19 PM
It's nice to see some crossover though, it's a reminder to us, fans, that everything is still in one universe; going into denial about it has never struck me as a very healthy attitude to approach life, no matter how bad the stories were/are.

As much as I liked the AvP films, are you implying those are included too despite the film material (Prometheus in particular) suggesting otherwise?

Visceral_Mass

Spoiler
[close]

What was I going into denial about?

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 27, 2015, 09:51:50 PM

As much as I liked the AvP films, are you implying those are included too despite the film material (Prometheus in particular) suggesting otherwise?

Yes, regardless of what franchise or series we're talking about, there will always be discrepancies.  For example, in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, Luke asks Leia about their biological mother and Leia tells her brother that she has memories of her while growing up however in Episode 3, Padme is revealed to have died shortly after their birth thus providing a clear discrepancy between the films.  We can't nullify Revenge of the Sith (or the entire Prequel Trilogy) because of this, no matter how much some fans want to, the same goes with Prometheus and the AVP films.

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Jan 27, 2015, 10:11:49 PM

Spoiler
[close]

What was I going into denial about?

No, no, I wasn't talking about you.  I was just speaking in general about people I have met over the years.  Sorry, if I accidentally offended you. :(

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 27, 2015, 10:43:40 PM
No, no, I wasn't talking about you.  I was just speaking in general about people I have met over the years.  Sorry, if I accidentally offended you. :(

No worries. You didn't offend me. I was just confused because you quoted me when you said it and I was just trying to figure out where the comment was coming from. :)

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2015, 11:54:17 AMYou're that angry about the story?

I was really disappointed. I was expecting a solid AvP story, not a mutant free-for-all

Quote from: bobby brown on Jan 27, 2015, 01:34:50 PM
I agree, F&S was shit.

AvP F&S is definitely sh*t. The other series are OK.

Aliens was really flat...no tension but still a decent read.
Prometheus and Predator were OK.

AvP F&S <<< AvP Prey (or even AvP Civilised Beasts)
Aliens F&S <<< Aliens Sacrifice
Predator F&S <<< Predator Big Game

Overall, F&S is not great but not terrible.

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Jan 27, 2015, 03:04:09 PM
Prometheus IS a part of the lore now, but that doesn't mean they needed to make it a HUGE part of the current story line for all four titles, especially given how divided the fanbase is over Prometheus.
I don't mind injecting Prometheus into the franchise if it's done well.

The movie was underwhelming. The concepts are still pretty good. Good writers could handle them well in comics. I wasn't that impressed with the writing for F&S

predxeno

I wonder how people compare this series to the previous one, the Three World War series and its Aliens/Predator counterparts?  Is this an upgrade compared to those stories or is this the latest in the downward spiral of slop that many fans claim the franchise is churning up?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

For me, FaS is a major improvement from the '09/'10 series. There were a few things I haven't loved, but overall I've greatly enjoyed the different direction that Prometheus introduced. The TWW event felt like a cheap cash-in on Noguchi nostalgia. People can definitely criticize FaS, but I'm refreshed that DH was bold enough to do some of the things they did with it. It also has some good, strong characters like Elden and Ahab.

If anything, FaS, in terms of writing and sales, has renewed my hope for the comics side of the franchise, whereas TWW seemed to be a nail in the coffin.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 28, 2015, 02:52:21 AM
I wonder how people compare this series to the previous one, the Three World War series and its Aliens/Predator counterparts?  Is this an upgrade compared to those stories or is this the latest in the downward spiral of slop that many fans claim the franchise is churning up?

F&S is definitely much better than Three World War. TWW is garbage. F&S is decent.

EDIT: I have to disagree with Ultra over a significant point. Elden is a terribly exectuted character IMO

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Jan 27, 2015, 04:25:10 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2015, 04:04:28 PM
For writers it must be very exciting as it's inserted some very interesting new narrative toys for them to play with so I can understand them wanting to experiment. And on the whole - judging from the reviews and sale figures - they've done a good job so far.

I think this is where we disagree. I don't think Prometheus really opened up anything new, unique, or interesting for the franchise and by extension the writers, unless you consider tired old tropes from other sci fi franchises "interesting". But, then again, if a fan hasn't been exposed to the tropes, its new and unique to them.

In terms of new for Aliens/vs/Predator/Prometheus. I find there to be very little originality left over-all.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 28, 2015, 02:56:59 AM
For me, FaS is a major improvement from the '09/'10 series. There were a few things I haven't loved, but overall I've greatly enjoyed the different direction that Prometheus introduced. The TWW event felt like a cheap cash-in on Noguchi nostalgia. People can definitely criticize FaS, but I'm refreshed that DH was bold enough to do some of the things they did with it. It also has some good, strong characters like Elden and Ahab.

If anything, FaS, in terms of writing and sales, has renewed my hope for the comics side of the franchise, whereas TWW seemed to be a nail in the coffin.

Indeed. I agree. The 09/10 reboot wanted to be what this one was (has been so far - like I said, I haven't finished the series yet and wont completely judge it until I have). I loved Aliens - I thought it was a great series and Sereda was really cool - but it never went anywhere. Sereda wasn't utilized properly in 3WW, the mystery planet wasn't explored and the Alien appearance wasn't (despite being told we would).

The Predator series was just rubbish. Went nowhere and did nothing.

3WW, I think is let down by the artwork most of all. I loved the premise and the plot. I loved seeing the bigger scale of it - but that artwork. As much as I think it suited the action scenes, it just didn't work for anything else.

Like I've said earlier, I'm enjoying where I am so far. I think Prometheus was a really strong start to the series. We're introduced to Elden (whom I love so far), we've got fantastic art and we've got some strange Engineer (whoses motivations we just don't know).

Aliens I wasn't keen on because I felt it hasn't really contributed. AvP, I'm enjoying but it isn't what is advertised on the tin. It's not focused on the title and that is a problem for people like Happy. However, I don't think they're really going to get the most out of Elden by the conclusion of the series - all his riffing about what he was turning into, the knowledge he has, etc. I don't see it being explored by the end of this - which is what I think could be most interesting for him. I'll pick up the final issue at the weekend.

Predator has also been really strong. Again, good artwork and great writing. Ahab is shaping up to be my favourite Predator character.

But as I keep saying, I reserve complete judgement until after I've read Omega.

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 28, 2015, 08:23:45 AMAvP, I'm enjoying but it isn't what is advertised on the tin. It's not focused on the title and that is a problem for people like Happy.

Not just the title but also Sebela's promises at the panel interview.

Even disregarding the issue of false advertisement, I think the AvP series is weak judging purely by its merits. Elden is a really annoying, repetitive, one-dimensional character IMO

Russ

Quote from: Quarax on Jan 27, 2015, 07:26:56 PM

The font used in Predator dialogue isn't this one.

That doesn't compute *lol* - If it were me, I'd definitely use the existing font and give them actual dialogue. The did this back in the Superman / Batman comics where Kara Zor-El first turns up in that they used the Kryptonian type-face - and of course, there were folk out there that translated it. It was great for the nerd-core fan.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed