Alien Syndrome out now!

Started by War Wager, Aug 09, 2007, 09:00:30 PM

Author
Alien Syndrome out now! (Read 3,391 times)

War Wager

War Wager

There is a new Alien game, Alien Syndrome, out now for the PSP. Theres two pages about it in the PSP Official Guide (same as the Survival of the Fittest feature) Its an RPG style game that pits you against thousends of blood-thirsty Aliens, on board what appears to be a huge space ship. It's very loosely based on the films, but it is H.R. Gigers creatures you're fighting. Heres some of what the magazine had to say: 

ALIEN SYNDROME
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream In Frustration
- Publisher: Sega - Developer: Totally Games - Price: £34.99 - Release: Out Now

Here's something we don't usually admit to: the Alien film series scared the living crap out of us. OK, Resurrection was depressing, but the rest were scary. But we needn't have fretted. Alien Syndrome abandons the dripping menace of the films and replaces it with non-stop xenomorph-fragging action. And aside from the settings, which look eerily like most of the sets from Aliens, and a handful of enemies this game bares little resemblance to Ridley Scott's movies. But this doesnt come as that much of a suprise, because it's virtually impossible to create a sense of heart-racing atmosphere and creeping terror on a screen smaller than a four-finger Kit Kat.

Alien Syndrome takes no prisoners. This is a seriously tough game, and it never lets up, so you're constantly fighting for your life - desperately scouring the levels for health packs, trying to keep the endless hordes of creatures at bay with the limited ammo you've managed to scavange. Don't get us wrong, we love a challange, but the constantly respawing enemies mean that eventually you're forced to give up the fight and just start sprinting to get to the next checkpoint.

Having two players blasting away makes the game feel less frustrating: and this makes us think that the campaign mode is more geared towards muiltiplayer than lone-wolf gaming. So, if you fancy delving into the world of Alien Syndrome, we recommend either a) taking a friend with you (perhaps the same one that held your hand and told you not to be such a big wuss when Dallas went into the air vents), or b) developing the patience of a saint. Whichever one you find easier.

Verdict: 7
Plenty of potential, but held back by small flaws and sadistic difficulty.

Pros: Non-stop action and some great RPG elements. Fantastic co-op mode.
Cons: Can be massively frustrating and insanley difficult in places. 

darkbladepred

darkbladepred

Sounds like one of those games you percieve as awesome, but can't get past the first stage...

Six-String-Samurai

i'm confused is it actually a game based on alien or a game that has some similarities to alien  ???

War Wager

War Wager

It isn't based on a specific film, its just a military woman on a space ship fighting Aliens. Which is fine with me, just as long it's the Aliens we know, which it is... plus theres pics of the Alien Alien on the review page in the magazine.  ;)

Six-String-Samurai

Quote from: War Wager on Aug 09, 2007, 09:56:00 PM
plus theres pics of the Alien Alien on the review page in the magazine.  ;)

i saw the alien i just couldn't see it in any of the screen shots  :)

automirage04

automirage04

Can anyone link some screens of this game?

War Wager

War Wager

The screenshots are pretty poor, but you can make out the ridge-headed Aliens in the top shot. Under it it says, Acid House: It's clearly linked to Alien, but only in a loose way. Just like the fourth film...

It looks like they've also thrown in a few other random muilti-coloured space monsters, but I'd say it is an Alien game.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

...This game doesn't have anything to do with Aliens.

automirage04

automirage04

I shecked out the trailer for this game and i don't think it has anything to do with the Aliens fanchise.

It may have been losely inspired by some of the creatures in the series, but even thats stretching it a bit imo.

War Wager

War Wager

You know what, I think you guys are right. The Official Guide magazine sure makes it sound as it is an Alien game. They talk about the movies and theres even pics of the Alien from the first one...  :P

Sorry guys my mistake...

SM

SM

This is an update of the old arcade game I spent so much money on in the 1980's.  It's clearly influenced by Alien and Aliens, but isn't officially attached to the franchise.

And what's more the original was fecking awesome and this looks just as sweet.  Pity I don't have a PSP...

"The time bomb is set!"  :D

SPEC. AGENT KEYES

SPEC. AGENT KEYES

Quote from: War Wager on Aug 09, 2007, 09:00:30 PM
There is a new Alien game, Alien Syndrome, out now for the PSP. Theres two pages about it in the PSP Official Guide (same as the Survival of the Fittest feature) Its an RPG style game that pits you against thousends of blood-thirsty Aliens, on board what appears to be a huge space ship. It's very loosely based on the films, but it is H.R. Gigers creatures you're fighting. Heres some of what the magazine had to say: 

ALIEN SYNDROME
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream In Frustration
- Publisher: Sega - Developer: Totally Games - Price: £34.99 - Release: Out Now

Here's something we don't usually admit to: the Alien film series scared the living crap out of us. OK, Resurrection was depressing, but the rest were scary. But we needn't have fretted. Alien Syndrome abandons the dripping menace of the films and replaces it with non-stop xenomorph-fragging action. And aside from the settings, which look eerily like most of the sets from Aliens, and a handful of enemies this game bares little resemblance to Ridley Scott's movies. But this doesnt come as that much of a suprise, because it's virtually impossible to create a sense of heart-racing atmosphere and creeping terror on a screen smaller than a four-finger Kit Kat.

Alien Syndrome takes no prisoners. This is a seriously tough game, and it never lets up, so you're constantly fighting for your life - desperately scouring the levels for health packs, trying to keep the endless hordes of creatures at bay with the limited ammo you've managed to scavange. Don't get us wrong, we love a challange, but the constantly respawing enemies mean that eventually you're forced to give up the fight and just start sprinting to get to the next checkpoint.

Having two players blasting away makes the game feel less frustrating: and this makes us think that the campaign mode is more geared towards muiltiplayer than lone-wolf gaming. So, if you fancy delving into the world of Alien Syndrome, we recommend either a) taking a friend with you (perhaps the same one that held your hand and told you not to be such a big wuss when Dallas went into the air vents), or b) developing the patience of a saint. Whichever one you find easier.

Verdict: 7
Plenty of potential, but held back by small flaws and sadistic difficulty.

Pros: Non-stop action and some great RPG elements. Fantastic co-op mode.
Cons: Can be massively frustrating and insanley difficult in places. 
well guess what reviewer. every minute for the marines in ALIENS was difficult so don't think everything is easy. would u be there dying in second for not knowing how to use the gun properly or would u be playing it as a PSP handheld game? he's gotta point, cant be really hard so u cant play it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed