The Game's Development Story Discussion

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

Author
The Game's Development Story Discussion (Read 102,463 times)

JustaGrunt

I'll be damned - I went through my post history at the Gearbox forums and the entire thread seems to have been erased.  The thread had screen caps of the powerpoint where the Gearbox exec shared his thoughts on the conclusion of the project. 

I'm going to keep on looking, but I'm sure there are others who got a chance to see the Gearbox executive's comments before they were deleted.  Another thing I remember reading was that he wished that they could have focused more on creative a great FPS instead of being a slave to the license.

If anyone remembers these comments, please chime in with your thoughts, as they can be very relevant to the discussion now that we're seeing what the final product looks like and can read more into the types of things he was speaking about. 

ShadowPred

I'll go and look this up now. Be back in a few if I find anything.

thecaffeinatedone

My theory is that everything went downhill when they Replaced Bradley Thompson and David Weddle with whatever schmuck took over.

Xenomorphine

If it was following the project's conclusion, do you remember enough to remember if they were largely happy about the end result and just wanted to tweak it or more along the lines of thinking the product needed a complete rethink?

Predaker

Ask ikarop, he knows. I read all six pages.

JustaGrunt

Just found the deleted thread on Google search and when I go to Gearbox, it tells me how it was removed.  However, I was able to lift the exact quote from the powerpoint notes from the short description that was left behind by Google...

"I would have more game modes and focus less on the license AND MORE ON MAKING A GREAT FPS" - Gearbox designer

Edit:  To me, it came off as largely negative, which can explain why Gearbox not only locked the topic, but deleted it from existence altogether.  It came off as almost if Sega interfered with production and that a lot of limitations were placed on them from what they could do from a creative standpoint.  But, I am really hoping someone saved the screen caps so we can further discuss things further.  And it definitely was following the project's conclusion - I remember him titling the powerpoint as such. 

Xenomorphine

Hmm... Interesting to know, but including more game modes wouldn't really address the gameplay criticisms raised after watching videos. I could be wrong, obviously, but doubt fixing those would've been interfered with by Sega.

Elicas

An actual L4D reskin could have been excellent you know, replace the horde zombies with facehuggers, the special undead with drones. Bingo, swarms of scuttling, terrifying instant face rape death, and if you survive them the ultimate killing machine in the galaxy loving takes you away to a dark hole, where it would like to discuss the finer points of interior feng shui and massage. Possibly.

ShadowPred

Quote from: Robness Monster on Feb 09, 2013, 12:26:55 AM

"focus less on the license AND MORE ON MAKING A GREAT FPS" - Gearbox designer

This right here shows that all Gearbox did was just jerk itself off with all this fanboy talk and shit. They didn't give a damn about the game itself, which is exactly what they should have been focusing on instead of squealing with orgasmic joy about the fact that they got the chance to work on a license that they are fans about. They completely lost their main focus and instead did what they shouldn't have done, which was just drool all over the ALIENS license.

Predaker

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 09, 2013, 12:33:42 AM

This right here shows that all Gearbox did was just jerk itself off with all this fanboy talk and shit. They didn't give a damn about the game itself, which is exactly what they should have been focusing on instead of squealing with orgasmic joy about the fact that they got the chance to work on a license that they are fans about. They completely lost their main focus and instead did what they shouldn't have done, which was just drool all over the ALIENS license.

The person who made that comment worked on the multiplayer, not singleplayer. He helped design four maps. I really suggest you read it all in context first.

Xenomorphine

In fairness, we don't know what being 'focused on the licence' meant. It could have been a criticism about spending too much time crafting the story (regardless of whether it was good/bad) and not enough on developing the actual game.

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 09, 2013, 12:36:18 AM
The person who made that comment worked on the multiplayer, not singleplayer. He helped design four maps. I really suggest you read it all in context first.

Much appreciated for those of us who didn't read it. :)

ShadowPred

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 09, 2013, 12:36:18 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 09, 2013, 12:33:42 AM

Well if I had a link then I would actually be able to read it in proper context.

Predaker

Sorry I can't find it right now, otherwise I would post it. Ikarop posted the link in one of the sticky threads recently.

Elicas

Ikarop will find it, he always does. He like, f**king knows man!

ShadowPred

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 09, 2013, 12:40:09 AM
Sorry I can't find it right now, otherwise I would post it. Ikarop posted the link in one of the sticky threads recently.

Ah, I'll go look for that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed