The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 237,564 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 27, 2015, 05:21:26 PMThey basically reset the universe in Sea of Sorrows, getting rid of the USM and bringing W-Y and the Marines back.

Yeah, I get that, and I read the last three books. I just find it a little unbelievable that the exact same military unit is still operating more than three centuries later.

TheBATMAN

Ultramorph

True, it feels pretty regressive. That's why I hope the new books change the universe up a bit.

Perfect-Organism

Meh.

Ok, let me elaborate a little so I'm not just taking up bandwidth...

Meh.  Hmpfh.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 27, 2015, 04:46:54 PM
Predator: Incursion has an updated summary over on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Incursion-Rage-War-1/dp/1783296240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438015297&sr=8-1&keywords=tim+lebbon+rage+war&pebp=1438015302135&perid=1N18VP15GBVSP17EX9VE
Spoiler
QuotePredator ships stream into human space in unimaginable numbers. The Colonial Marines, controlled by Weyland-Yutani, respond to the incursion, thus entering

THE RAGE WAR

This terrifying assault by the Yautja cannot go unchallenged, yet the cost of combat is high. Predators are master combatants, and each encounter yields a high body count. Then when Lt. Johnny Mains and his marines—the VoidLarks—enter the fray, they discover an enemy deadlier than any could imagine.

BOOK ONE IN AN EPIC TRILOGY

...that continues in ALIEN: INVASION and concludes in ALIENS VS. PREDATOR: ARMAGEDDON. The universe will forever be changed.
[close]

One thing that jumped out at me
Spoiler
VoidLarks....Larke....
[close]

Probably nothing, but still amusing. Can't wait for this book. I hope it lives up to the promise of changing the universe.

It looks like you and I are the only ones who can't wait for this book, Ultramorph.  :)

What really excited me is that the Yautja are being treated as a formidable force, as they should be. I would love to see how this unfolds and how humans overcome such overwhelming odds. I'm glad that this is a "Predators are invading" rather than "Predator refugees fleeing from something", they are merely making a tactical retreat and kicking the ass of anything that gets in the way of said tactical retreat.

The whole "controlled by W-Y" isn't too surprising, didn't Karl Bishop Weyland pretty much state in the 2010 game that he "owns" the Marines anyway. Weyland-Yutani pretty much owns almost everything in ALIEN, especially if it concerns space.

Who knows just how much control anyway, maybe they influence the Marines but not fully control them. Do not underestimate the power of the almighty dollar, and W-Y literally wipe their asses with money, that's how rich they are.

Corporal Hicks

Just so we're not having to flick onto the link get the synopsis -

Spoiler
Predator ships stream into human space in unimaginable numbers. The Colonial Marines, controlled by Weyland-Yutani, respond to the incursion, thus entering

THE RAGE WAR

This terrifying assault by the Yautja cannot go unchallenged, yet the cost of combat is high. Predators are master combatants, and each encounter yields a high body count. Then when Lt. Johnny Mains and his marines—the VoidLarks—enter the fray, they discover an enemy deadlier than any could imagine.

BOOK ONE IN AN EPIC TRILOGY

...that continues in ALIEN: INVASION and concludes in ALIENS VS. PREDATOR: ARMAGEDDON. The universe will forever be changed.
[close]

I'm looking forward to the series. But meh to the Yautja being involved. It was always implied that W-Y exercise some measure of control over the marines (something that was talked about in River of Pain) but never overtly. That said, with Sea of Sorrows resetting the state of play to something more akin to Aliens...I'm sure there's a chance that the marines may essentially be private military rather than government military.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jul 27, 2015, 10:23:46 PMIt looks like you and I are the only ones who can't wait for this book, Ultramorph.  :)

:) I am actually looking forward to this. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna question a few things about it though. The last three books were all riddled with issues but overall I enjoyed them.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jul 27, 2015, 10:23:46 PMWho knows just how much control anyway, maybe they influence the Marines but not fully control them.

That's what I'm hoping. It worked in Aliens because the company part-owned the colony with the ECA, so they could therefore exert influence on the Marines to get it checked out. I particularly like the idea hinted at in the novelisation and elsewhere that Burke conspired to have Gorman put in charge, hoping that an inexperienced commander would let him have his own way.

But as for W-Y outright owning the Marines... No. It's too Evil Inc.

RakaiThwei

So the Yautja version is still canon then? Great to know but let me get this right.. they're invading but not really invading, but making a tactical retreat into Earth controlled space from.. from other powerful alien force. Am I right about that?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

We can surmise that from the other synopsis', yeah.

Well I suppose it's retreating from a force of Aliens that are controlled by an external force.

RakaiThwei

Alright, good to know before I get started on my shift at work. Not too sure if I wanna read this one. After the last novel reboot back in 2007, a lot of the whole novel universe felt like it lost its weight.

Corporal Hicks

You mean the DH Press novels? Aside from Forever Midnight those were the strongest Predator novels released.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2015, 01:58:26 PM
You mean the DH Press novels? Aside from Forever Midnight those were the strongest Predator novels released.

I was referring specifically to the Hish'qu-Ten mythos novels actually.

I want to read South China Sea and Turnabout.

Also, in this novel.. since the Yautja are at war, will we be seeing multiple clans allied or a Yautja military?

Corporal Hicks

Flesh and Blood also included Hish but a much more refined and movie-like interpretation of them and it was still a very strong novel. The Predator ones kept getting better and better.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 28, 2015, 05:12:34 PM
Also, in this novel.. since the Yautja are at war, will we be seeing multiple clans allied or a Yautja military?

Interesting question! I'd prefer to see the tribal nature but I'm not sure we'll get that.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote:) I am actually looking forward to this. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna question a few things about it though. The last three books were all riddled with issues but overall I enjoyed them.

It's good to question things, Huda.  :) You have a point about how W-Y and the Marines can still exist even after several centuries. I think the real life US Marines were around during WW2 and are still around, no doubt the way they operate went through some changes. I am not too knowledgeable in this, but they did exist for quite a while.

But with the Colonial Marines, things may be different because for all we know, life expectancy could be longer in the ALIEN universe (I would love for them to explore this), by the time of Sea of Sorrows, they had these "body modification" facilities where this W-Y guy who was overweight wanted to go to instead of a gym. If I remember correctly, it could alter your physique to that of a healthy well toned or even muscular man. So no doubt that with improved medical care comes greater life expectancy which could lead to organizations lasting a bit longer too.

Do we have any examples of companies existing for centuries? I know I checked some products that proudly state something like "since 1850" or something along those lines.

Imagine W-Y says "since 2099" on the back of their products in the 26th century.  ;D

QuoteThat's what I'm hoping. It worked in Aliens because the company part-owned the colony with the ECA, so they could therefore exert influence on the Marines to get it checked out. I particularly like the idea hinted at in the novelisation and elsewhere that Burke conspired to have Gorman put in charge, hoping that an inexperienced commander would let him have his own way.

But as for W-Y outright owning the Marines... No. It's too Evil Inc.

That is absolutely true, they did have influence because they co-funded the colony with the government.

I am assuming that W-Y holds a huge monopoly in things related to space exploration including other alien lifeforms. Hopefully the novel explains this. This kinda reminds me of those conspiracy theories about oil companies or the rich one percenters of the world owning the governments. Perhaps in the far future, W-Y asserts some strong influences because remember, in Sea of Sorrows, it is mentioned that W-Y "saved" Earth by cleaning up the mess made by the USM which lead to the public giving lots of support to these corporations.

So they are almost like a government, they have the most powerful asset so far - the hearts of the people.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2015, 06:24:52 PM
Flesh and Blood also included Hish but a much more refined and movie-like interpretation of them and it was still a very strong novel. The Predator ones kept getting better and better.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 28, 2015, 05:12:34 PM

Interesting question! I'd prefer to see the tribal nature but I'm not sure we'll get that.

Those are some very good questions, guys. Maybe we'll see some more Yautja war gear here, like we saw glimpses in AvP Extinction.

RakaiThwei

I know Extinction made mention of a Predator military but considering that we are talking about a culture and clan based society of Hunters and Warriors, wouldn't that make a military somewhat redundant?

I prefer to think that if there is a threat this big, then clans would put aside differences and band together against a common foe.

And we don't know who the Yautja in the new EU are fighting. Engineers? Super Predators? Or something completely new?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed