Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 238,239 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Henriksen on Jan 28, 2014, 11:40:39 PM
Fair point but I still think Fincher delivered an unsettling and dark film as it was. I don't think Croenenberg would have truly understood the concept, not 100%. What Fincher lacked in experience, he made up with ambition.

Agreed.

Henriksen

Henriksen

Thank you.

Eva

Eva

As I understand it, Fincher had very little involvement with the story and character motifs. Cronenberg would have worked under the same conditions. I don't think their versions of ALIEN3 would have been that different from each other, other than in their visual style and editing, which shares similarities.

Henriksen

Henriksen

Sorry, but when I hear "Alien 3 directed by David Croenenberg" I just have this nightmare image of a person spending two hours slowly turning into an Alien while Geena Davis watches in horror. "I'm saying...I'm an Alien who dreamed he was a man and loved it. But now the dream is over, and the Alien is awake." Pass.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I feel the same way about Vincent Ward.  It would have seemed like the alien and Ripley were intruding on his self-indulgant neo-medieval fantasy.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Henriksen on Jan 29, 2014, 12:09:15 AM
Sorry, but when I hear "Alien 3 directed by David Croenenberg" I just have this nightmare image of a person spending two hours slowly turning into an Alien while Geena Davis watches in horror.

Geena Davis actually suggests a Renny Harlin movie, not a Cronenberg movie, mate. ;)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Eva on Jan 29, 2014, 12:56:20 AM
Sorry, but when I hear "Alien 3 directed by David Croenenberg" I just have this nightmare image of a person spending two hours slowly turning into an Alien while Geena Davis watches in horror.

Geena Davis actually suggests a Renny Harlin movie, not a Cronenberg movie, mate. ;)

I still haven't seen that one. :(

Henriksen

Henriksen

Geena Davis did Croenenberg's remake ofnThe Fly, hence the reference.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

But she married Harlin and then went on to star in his awful pirate movie.

Henriksen

Henriksen

But I wasn't referencing that haha

SiL

SiL

Sorry, but when I hear "Alien 3 directed by David Croenenberg" I just have this nightmare image of a person spending two hours slowly turning into an Alien while Geena Davis watches in horror. "I'm saying...I'm an Alien who dreamed he was a man and loved it. But now the dream is over, and the Alien is awake." Pass.
You know he directed other horror films, yeah?

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 29, 2014, 01:09:03 AM
But she married Harlin and then went on to star in his awful pirate movie.

and in Harlins The Long Kiss Goodnight. And then Harlins career turned to shit and has stayed there ever since. ;)

Henriksen

Henriksen

So? Cameron wasn't a horror director. I'm just saying I like Croenenberg, but I wouldn't be excited to see him as an Alien director.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The Terminator proved Cameron's sci-fi action chops.  I suppose it could even be considered a quasi horror/slasher too.

Henriksen

Henriksen

Don't forget Lance Henriksen and Michael Beihn!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed