Why do predators have to be tribal?

Started by gameoverman, Aug 21, 2007, 02:14:20 PM

Lone hunter or tribal hunter?

Loner
Tribal
Author
Why do predators have to be tribal? (Read 2,746 times)

gameoverman

I just hate it how predators these days have to belong to a tribe or group of other predators.  The first predator was always by himself - there was no indication he was part of a tribe.

Then Predator 2 introduced the tribal aspect and it's like every predator has to be tribal now.  Well, this sucks and just demeans the predators.

I'm hoping The Wolf is a lone contractor (businessman  :P ) or something like that instead of all this tribal bs!

Bishop2

Since the Wolf comes to Earth specifically to clean up the mess of the crashed ship, obviously he's not doing it just for kicks.  He's obviously either under orders or doing it for his society.

I love the background on the predators.  I think it was natural.  You don't just have some random dude going around hunting humans and keeping their skulls as trophies because he decided that personally.  At least, not likely.  It's learned behavior.  SOMEBODY taught him that.  And the idea that there's an entire tribe/society of these stone-cold hunters is much more imposing and threatening.

Predboy

I dont even know which one I should pick cause I like the idea of both.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: gameoverman on Aug 21, 2007, 02:14:20 PM
I just hate it how predators these days have to belong to a tribe or group of other predators.  The first predator was always by himself - there was no indication he was part of a tribe.

I understand what you're saying, but he was a part of some clan, gang, tribe...he was dropped off as his brethren went off to another planet..

Then Predator 2 introduced the tribal aspect and it's like every predator has to be tribal now.  Well, this sucks and just demeans the predators.

How does it demean the predators?  What do the comics portray them as?

I'm hoping The Wolf is a lone contractor (businessman  :P ) or something like that instead of all this tribal bs!

I don't think he's a Predator for hire.  There is obviously a pecking order and our Lone Wolf has a job to do.

Corporal Hicks

The original idea for Predator was it'd be a group of intergalactic hunters.

gameoverman

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 21, 2007, 02:20:37 PM
Since the Wolf comes to Earth specifically to clean up the mess of the crashed ship, obviously he's not doing it just for kicks.  He's obviously either under orders or doing it for his society.

Well sorry but I gotta say that I really hate that idea.  Under orders?!  Doing it for his society?!   OMFG that is just so gay..  I mean I just hate that idea, sorry.

QuoteI love the background on the predators.  I think it was natural.  You don't just have some random dude going around hunting humans and keeping their skulls as trophies because he decided that personally.  At least, not likely.  It's learned behavior.  SOMEBODY taught him that.  And the idea that there's an entire tribe/society of these stone-cold hunters is much more imposing and threatening.

Hunters are taught skills, yes.  But often, they go out and do solo hunts.  Once they have the experience.

gameoverman

Quote from: Master Chief on Aug 21, 2007, 03:36:40 PM

I understand what you're saying, but he was a part of some clan, gang, tribe...he was dropped off as his brethren went off to another planet..

Yeah, but we don't know if the ship was on autopilot.

How does it demean the predators?  What do the comics portray them as?

The comics mostly portray them as retarded. 

But seriously...  I want the predator to be like Boba Fett in that he just works alone. 

I don't think he's a Predator for hire.  There is obviously a pecking order and our Lone Wolf has a job to do.

Well, I seriously hope you're wrong.  'Cause they're hunters, not soldiers.  Wolf should be in it for himself.  Know what I mean?

Bishop2

Quote from: gameoverman on Aug 21, 2007, 04:15:59 PM

Well, I seriously hope you're wrong.  'Cause they're hunters, not soldiers.  Wolf should be in it for himself.  Know what I mean?

I think you're going to have to just make peace with the fact that you hate the Predators now.

Master Chief

Quote from: gameoverman on Aug 21, 2007, 04:15:59 PM

I know what you're saying...Have you seen the movie "The Professional"?  I take it you want the Wolf to be like Leon.  Hired by one man to do the cleaning.  Maybe a mafia like Elder watching all and has the Wolf clean up when their kind mess up...something to that effect.

Horhey

Predators are solo when they hunt humans. High ranking Predators are usually solo when they hunt Aliens. Teenage Preds hunt Aliens with a tribe.

Huol

Huol

Tribal... Theres something about high tech, yet barbaric space hunters which i find awesome.

Caledonia

Quote from: Huol on Aug 21, 2007, 05:21:42 PM
Tribal... Theres something about high tech, yet barbaric space hunters which i find awesome.

Damn straight. The Predators may be part of a tribe but when hunting humans they can do it alone and that's what's seen in both movies. You never see any of the other Predators interfere, that's AVP territory.

Aeus

Aeus

I like the solo idea.

Fitzley

Of course gameoverman wants them to be loners, that fits with his personal/political philosophy.  :P

Though, I am not sure what I like better, the loner concept is good, but there has to be some sort of society or else how did they develop technology and space travel? It could be down to personal choice, some prefer to go it alone, others form hunting parties.

They at least travel in groups, the predator ship flies by Earth in the first one to deposit that predator, I assume that other predators were on board heading to other hunting locations and that at some point he was going to get picked up.

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Tribal crap is all hogwash, as far as "tribes" go.  The preds are an advanced species, in any advance species there are groups of different kinds, and different individuals.

Some hunt alone, some like to hunt with their pals, or on "charters" if you will.  You know, like when a bunch of strangers meet on a safari or fishing trip...

The hunt is not a general reflection of their society at large, although it is possible it represents a significant portion of it, or some form of recreation enjoyed by a large segment of the population.

That said, these interstellar safaris are probably only enjoyed by the upper-crust, just as large populations around the globe enjoy recreational hunting, but only a select few can afford the 50k dollars it takes to get an elephant permit.

Fitz is talking something half-sensical.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed