Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,067,911 times)

50/50, pretty great.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Eva on Mar 30, 2012, 06:51:27 PM
Manhunter has all the trademarks of a wellmade Michael Mann film, although it's also clearly a product of its time visually, soundtrackwise and stylistically.

In my opinion it's Mann's finest work. Incredibly imaginative scene construction and photography. Never seen Red Dragon but I can't recommend Manhunter strongly enough, it's by turns chilling and impressive.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Manhunter

I believe most people here know the story. Will Graham, retired FBI profiler, is brought back to help catch a serial killer nicknamed the "Tooth Fairy". He enlists the help of Doctor Hannibal Lecter, a cannibalistic serial killer that Will tracked down and put behind bars.

To be honest, this movie is a bit hit and miss. The things it gets right are really good though. The cinematography is beautiful and well executed. The soundtrack is also really good, from time to time, both beautiful and chilling.

I think William Petersen did an excellent job as Will Graham. This guy really gets inside the head of the people he's after and the consequences of that shows. You get the feeling that it really weighs him down, both past and present. The memory of Lecter haunts him, as well as the unplesant thoughts and feelings his confrontation with the man left behind. Yet there's this strange connection between them and you can't help but wonder if Graham admires him just a little. As for Lecter (in this movie spelled Lector, but nevermind), I think Brian Cox did a great job in that role. It's of course hard to replace the image I have of Hopkins as Lecter when watching this, seeing as how he pretty much perfected the character in the three movies he was in. While Cox never comes across as sophisticated as Hopkins, he gives of this unplesant and creepy vibe I never quite got from Hopkins. His Lecter feels more "real", so to speak. And I love his scenes with Will. Being shot the way they are, in this small white room, they feel much more intimate and personal than they did in Red Dragon. I like that.

What I didn't like was Tom Noonan as Dollarhyde, nor Joan Allen as Reba. Dollarhyde was introduced much later into the movie than in Red Dragon and never really became that terrifying creature that Ralph Fiennes did so well. It's not just compared to Fiennes that I find him lacking, he just never scared me. The scene with Stephen Lang should have been scary, but instead he just looked ridiculous with that stocking over his head and his much to timid acting. Joan Allen wasn't exactly bad, but Reba's relationship with Dollarhyde felt much to rushed and there weren't really any chemistry between them.

While the movies played out fairly well, I didn't care for the ending. The shootout I could live with, I guess, had it not been ruined by that song, which felt very out of place. Dollarhyde came across as a damn Terminator in that scene. No, I didn't care for that at all.

All in all, this is about as good as Red Dragon. Both movies had their strenght and weaknesses. I will gladly give this another watch and overall, I think I prefer Manhunter over Red Dragon. But it's by no means a perfect movie.

7/10

First Blood

First Blood

It's certainly a product of its time, as far as the soundtrack and style in which its shot. I really liked Cox's portrayal as Hannibal. Hopkins, bless him did a fantastic job and made the character his own after those three movies, but Cox wasn't as hammy. I think the term 'real' that you used fits perfectly. The kind of guy that comes off, a bit charming, like in those scenes between Graham and himself, but deep down, there's something very malicious about him.

So, what's the next movie you're going to watch? :laugh:

Shasvre

Shasvre

I was going to watch The Great Escape, but I'll wait until I have someone to see it with.

Suggestions?

First Blood

First Blood

Have you seen Valhalla Rising? It's pretty trippy and by Nicolas Winding Refn who did Drive.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I have not, but I know of it. Might just give it a watch.

Was The Eagle worth seeing, by the way?

severen76

severen76

I just thought I'd chip in and say The Big Lebowski, if you haven't seen it.

Everybody needs to watch it at least once.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 30, 2012, 11:25:16 PM
Was The Eagle worth seeing, by the way?

I didn't particularly care for it. Centurion was so much better, as far as telling the story about the 9th Legion.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: severen76 on Mar 30, 2012, 11:27:58 PMI just thought I'd chip in and say The Big Lebowski, if you haven't seen it.

Everybody needs to watch it at least once.

I've seen it two or three times by now. It's bloody fantastic. :)

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 30, 2012, 11:28:29 PMI didn't particularly care for it. Centurion was so much better, as far as telling the story about the 9th Legion.

It's the Ninth Legion is this one as well? I think I'll keep to Centurion then.

First Blood

First Blood

The Eagle is about a soldier going to find out what happened to the 9th Legion when they went missing, whereas Centurion is a fictional portrayal of what happened to them, as I am sure you can attest to. No one really knows, though where they disappeared to or what happened to them. :)

Have you seen Jackie Brown? Or the Deer Hunter?

Pn2501

Pn2501

Oh god this thread has devolved into @ the movies with assblood & Laughy.  :-\

Cvalda

Cvalda

Jackie Brown is f**king awesome. 8)
But you already knew that.

Quote from: Pn2501 on Mar 30, 2012, 11:37:52 PM
Pn2501, what crawled up your ass and tried eating its way out of your neck today?

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Pn2501 on Mar 30, 2012, 11:37:52 PM

Oh god, no one is forcing you to click on this thread and read it. :-\

severen76

severen76

...did the ninth legion even exist? I thought it was an old myth.

The whole 'I am a soldier of Rome and will not yield' was a pretty bad ass scene.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed