Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,071,656 times)

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: AvatarIII on Feb 08, 2012, 10:10:54 AM
every single revenge movie ever pretty much.

bahahha what a broad cop out answer, come on now kavinsky isn't that bad  :laugh:

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 08, 2012, 10:13:01 AM

bahahha what a broad cop out answer, come on now kavinsky isn't that bad  :laugh:

i guess it was, but i just don't see why everyone always seems to gush about the movie when it was just "good" there are some really good bits like the opening get-away and Gosling's scenes with Mulligan or Cranston, but anothing thing i didn't like was the Driver's character was inconsistent, at first i thought they were trying to say he was like an autistic savant for driving, which i thought worked, but there are some scenes where he's not like that at all, and it ruins all the other scenes where he is kind of "simple seeming".

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: AvatarIII on Feb 08, 2012, 10:21:45 AM

i guess it was, but i just don't see why everyone always seems to gush about the movie when it was just "good" there are some really good bits like the opening get-away and Gosling's scenes with Mulligan or Cranston, but anothing thing i didn't like was the Driver's character was inconsistent, at first i thought they were trying to say he was like an autistic savant for driving, which i thought worked, but there are some scenes where he's not like that at all, and it ruins all the other scenes where he is kind of "simple seeming".

bhahah sounds like you wanted rainman on wheels. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bahhahahahahaha

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Dead Man's Shoes.  Grim, depressing and amazing!!!

Dark City.  In a word, stunning

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Feb 08, 2012, 10:28:42 AM
Dead Man's Shoes.  Grim, depressing and amazing!!!

Dark City.  In a word, stunning

i love dead man's shoes amazing film.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

It's one of my favourites.  Considine is terrifying

Rioto

Rioto

The Innkeepers - worst movie i have seen in a long long time. BORING as shit! i dont mind movies that build up slow but god this movie did not build up since nothing happend.  waste of time 1.5 / 10

The Signal - what did i ... i mean what the...No seriously what the hell did i watch? this is probably the weirdest movie i have ever seen but pretty cool tho. 7.5 / 10

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 08, 2012, 10:28:27 AM

bhahah sounds like you wanted rainman on wheels. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bahhahahahahaha

that might have been an exaggeration, but there are many levels of autism, "rainman" is at the most severe end of the spectrum, and it goes all the way back to being almost indistinguishable from a normal person, and I honestly thought that's what they were going for, there are hints that he's a bit simple, but then it turns out he's not, and he ends up being someone that's hard to root for.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

It's not anything to do with mental disorder, it's just his profession on every level: to drive. He only talks when he wants to or has to. He'll sit back and listen to what somebody has to say and he'll stare at a girl that he likes as she stares back at him in the same way, but it never got to the point where it was ridiculous.

I mean, come on, the entire last half of the movie? He's a f**king loose canon, he's literally lost his cool.
Spoiler
I mean, come on, the entire last scene where he confronts Shannon about giving his apartment location away? Guy's is at a boiling point. He's scared shitless half the time, yet he manages to be a complete badass because of how aggressively and effectively he faces against the people that keep f**king him over.
[close]

Just because you thought they were going one way with him, and I don't know how or when you got that impression, only to have him go down a deep dark hole doesn't make him inconsistent.

Quote from: AvatarIII on Feb 08, 2012, 10:52:47 AM
he ends up being someone that's hard to root for.
How so? There's nothing unjust about his character's actions, no matter how violent he becomes. It's kill or be killed the whole time, and they thought he was going to be easy. When Nino and his guys start coming up short, they start dropping. There was never meant to be any deep psycological aspect to any of this. He's just an incredibly skilled driver thrown into a total f**kup and having to fight his way out of it with the only goal of protecting the woman that he's come to love and her child. The story can be described as simple; and that doesn't mean 'shitty' or 'cliche'.

they are some good points, and maybe i missed the point of the movie, but just as a joke's not funny if you have to explain it, I don't think explaining the movie is going to make me like it any more retrospectively.

I will address some of your questions on my thoughts now though.
Spoiler
saying he's just a driver, that just makes him sound one dimensional, but he's clearly not one dimensional in the movie, i don't fell that "living to drive" is a good enough explanation for his sometimes-introvert-sometimes-extrovert personality, and yes he's in a f**ked up situation, but that was partially his own fault, for getting involved with organised crime in the first place, yes he thought that the job would mean that the mob would leave Irene's husband and therefore whole family alone, but he's WAY too trusting, aside from his general silence, this was another reason i thought he was supposed to not be normal, he was too trusting with people that shouldn't be trusted.
You also say he never goes too far, it's kill or be killed, but it's not always, in the elevator scene, he could have stopped stamping when the guy stopped moving, knocking him unconscious would have been enough to get away, they could have taken his gun, and I can accept that killing would be acceptable, but he gets carried away, and stamps way too many times, that is not normal. he was clearly not a balanced individual.
[close]

Keg

Keg

Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 07, 2012, 11:41:48 PM
Quote from: Keg on Feb 07, 2012, 01:39:44 PM
Priest

Well, well, well. I actually enjoyed this. Quite a bit too. Nowhere near as bad as what people have led me to believe. I loved the look of the film and the action was pretty good, although there was a couple of cheesy facepalm moments (springboarding of rocks in midair). Suffered from the same problem as Underworld: Awakening in being too short though. Just like that film it could have done with another 15-20 minutes of extra character development to get you more invested in them.

I don't know why but to me it had a Chronicles of Riddick vibe to me and I liked that.

I'd give it a 7/10.

That movie was only like 75 minutes, right? I remember watching it (I enjoyed it somewhat too) and thinking "Wait, what? Shouldn't three be at least another 15 minutes."

Without credits its under 80 minutes yes. 84 minutes with credits. I thought the locations and the sets looked brilliant and the film was very strong visually. Same with Underworld: Awakening I suppose. What's there is decent enough, but there's not enough downtime between the action to really care.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Shadow of a Doubt (1943) - Great film, Hitchcock said that this was one of his favorite films that he directed. While it's not my favorite Hitchcock film, do I think it's a very well made film. The characters and acting were superb, not a single moment where I was bored. I do think they could have handle the ending better but overall 8.5/10!

I have to watch the original Get Carter for my homework project, I hope it's good.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

I hear that is one of the best examples of British cool.
Plus Space had an av and sig set for that a while back so that is quality assurance right there.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

From dusk till dawn.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Feb 08, 2012, 11:47:35 PM
I have to watch the original Get Carter for my homework project, I hope it's good.

It's fantastic.

Quote from: TheMonolith on Feb 09, 2012, 02:04:49 AM
I hear that is one of the best examples of British cool.
Plus Space had an av and sig set for that a while back so that is quality assurance right there.

Right on both counts.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed