Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,072,227 times)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Alphaville 8/10

Some spoilers

An intriguing mix of dystopian fiction and film-noir, this movie was certainly interesting to view. Set in the far future, but shot in 1960's Paris with no elaborate sets or backdrops, the movie had a certain quality to it that is hard to describe. It gave the whole thing a very unique feel. The thought of a future in which computers can run our lives and intergalactic travel is possible, but the buildings and guns and clothes have not changed at all, really fits in quite fell with the dystopian society that Jean-Luc Godard was trying to create. As with any noir film, the lighting was sharp and broken, shadows casting off at unusual angles, a cigarette lighter giving the only illumination of a face, and that is something that I just love. In the film, they was explained as being due to and electricity shortage. Lemmy Caution was a great protagonist, I felt. The main thing with him is, he is not a good person. He's a dick to the bell-boy of his hotel, he tells off women wantonly, he shoots many men to death (many in cold blood), and he brutally assaults and runs over a man while stealing a car.

My main complaint with the film is, the story was hard to follow. I didn't know what was going on half the time. I'm still not entirely sure why Caution went to Alphaville, nor why everybody in said city spontaneously started dying. But, I was able to figure out most of it (and Wikipedia should be able to help with the rest), and the basic narrative was a good fusion of dystopian and noir.

I really did enjoy myself while watching this. Looking at it, I could tell that it at least partially inspired Blade Runner.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 23, 2011, 04:29:28 AM
Alphaville 8/10

Some spoilers

An intriguing mix of dystopian fiction and film-noir, this movie was certainly interesting to view. Set in the far future, but shot in 1960's Paris with no elaborate sets or backdrops, the movie had a certain quality to it that is hard to describe. It gave the whole thing a very unique feel. The thought of a future in which computers can run our lives and intergalactic travel is possible, but the buildings and guns and clothes have not changed at all, really fits in quite fell with the dystopian society that Jean-Luc Godard was trying to create. As with any noir film, the lighting was sharp and broken, shadows casting off at unusual angles, a cigarette lighter giving the only illumination of a face, and that is something that I just love. In the film, they was explained as being due to and electricity shortage. Lemmy Caution was a great protagonist, I felt. The main thing with him is, he is not a good person. He's a dick to the bell-boy of his hotel, he tells off women wantonly, he shoots many men to death (many in cold blood), and he brutally assaults and runs over a man while stealing a car.

My main complaint with the film is, the story was hard to follow. I didn't know what was going on half the time. I'm still not entirely sure why Caution went to Alphaville, nor why everybody in said city spontaneously started dying. But, I was able to figure out most of it (and Wikipedia should be able to help with the rest), and the basic narrative was a good fusion of dystopian and noir.

I really did enjoy myself while watching this. Looking at it, I could tell that it at least partially inspired Blade Runner.

If you liked it you should check out his other popular stuff like breathless, band of outsiders, and Le Mepris, all recommended.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

And The Long Tomorrow, which had much more to do with the visual treatment of Blade Runner than Alphaville, despite the similarities in synopsis.

Pn2501

Pn2501

haha no self respecting Englishman would list the french as an inspiration.  :P

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

AVPR – 9/10 (with drunk friends)

During Acen they played AVPR in the hotel on the tv, one of my friends was drunk the other acted like she was high because lack of food and sleep.  It's a million times more amusing when your not completely with it.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Scanners 9/10

This was definitely a Cronenberg film. Disturbing, tense, and with a fair amount of gratuitous gore. In the film, a group of a few hundred individuals (known as Scanners) are able to telepathically scan minds, and even control people. Two of them in particular can do just about any shit they want; throw guys around, start fires, spontaneously and quickly expand body parts (KA-BOOM!), even f**king hack computers. With their mind. The movie starts off with a bang; the infamous head-explosion is in the first few minutes of the film. I must say, it was much more intense and horrific in its full form than that little GIF that I always used to use. From there, the film follows our hero, a Scanner named Cameron Vale (Lack), as he is recruited by ConSec (a weapons and security corporation) in order to track and kill another Scanner, Darryl Revok (Ironside). Revok is an incredibly powerful and dangerous man, responsible for the aforementioned head-explosion. Eventually, Revok and Cameron meet. There are many revelations, and then a good ol' fashioned Scanner fight. I thought that no scene in the film was going to out-gore this. I was wrong. Jesus Christ, was I wrong... Let's just say, exploding eyes are involved, and leave it at that.

The performances in this film were... so-so. Most of the performances were okay, I thought. Nothing exceptional or noteworthy, but nothing terrible either. I felt Patrick McGoohan did a good job as the scientist Paul Ruth, and Michael Ironside was, well, Michael Ironside. In other words, he was completely. I don't think he's an actor, per se; I think he's just like that all the time. Stephen Lack, unfortunately, was not good. At all. I've seen better performances in my drama class. It was almost painful to watch at times, and whenever he spoke, it just took me out of the movie. However, he did have a suitably intense "scan" face.
Spoiler
[close]
So that worked.

Overall, if you like intense, gory works of Canadian cinema, watch this. Or Videodrome.

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on May 23, 2011, 05:35:15 AM
And The Long Tomorrow...

Dan O'Bannon and Moebius? I'm sold.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Bloodrayne: The Third Reich

Boll keeps on churning out his films despite none of them ever doing well and here is the third in the quite poor 'Bloodrayne' franchise adapted from the much better and much sexier computer game. This time its the Nazi's to get a thumping from the sexy vamp and quite unbelievably this film isn't that bad and is considerably better than the hideous second film set in the Wild West.
Its basic all the way through and doesn't really show much in the form of class of course but its a stable film with reasonable bloody fights including some serious slashing going on, the location works for the film and does add a chilly bleak atmosphere, costumes are decent enough (Pare in his black leather Nazi commander uniform with matching black leather hood is actually pretty cool) and the direction isn't all that bad overall, definitely moved up a league from the 'Boll Division' to B-movie status methinks.

If he could just move away from constantly using Michael Pare....

Pn2501

Pn2501

POTC 4 :On Stranger Tides

don't ask me why i watched it, i found it pretty boring, it may as well be the Johnny Drrrepp show, i was expecting a bit more from Ian McShane. oh well

5/10

Water For Elephants

didn't watch it all thank god.
NA

Ghostface

Ghostface

Unthinkable 7/10

Samuel L. doing what he does best. Makes you question what is right when the stakes are high enough.

Quote from: Pn2501 on May 23, 2011, 07:20:50 AM

don't ask me why i watched it, i found it pretty boring, it may as well be the Johnny Drrrepp show, i was expecting a bit more from Ian McShane. oh well

5/10

I haven't seen any of the POTC films. I was planning on watching the first 3 and then check out the new one in 3D. You recken save my cash?

Pn2501

Pn2501

i didn't watch it in 3d, i actually watched it at the drive in.

I can't say i was a massive fan of potc series, altho i do like number one only because its essentially a film version of The Secret of Monkey Island, ahhhh lucas arts.

check out the first couple and go from there.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Pn2501 on May 23, 2011, 05:49:39 AM
haha no self respecting Englishman would list the french as an inspiration.  :P

And yet.

The Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars is the best movie ever made, and Empire is better.

Beyond perfect. Perfect doesn't even begin to describe it.

Aeus

Aeus

You just love it 'cause it's the only film where Boba's a badass.

Spoiler
But yeah it's f**king awesome. I could watch it forever.
[close]

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

Quote from: Ghostface on May 23, 2011, 07:34:54 AM
Unthinkable 7/10

Samuel L. doing what he does best. Makes you question what is right when the stakes are high enough.

Quote from: Pn2501 on May 23, 2011, 07:20:50 AM

5/10

I haven't seen any of the POTC films. I was planning on watching the first 3 and then check out the new one in 3D. You recken save my cash?

Personally I love all the POTC films, I'd say rent the first three and see how you like them and then make a decision from there.

Keg

Keg

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - 7/10

Better than 2 & 3 I'd say but still not as good as the original. I like all of the films but 2 & 3 were too slow, building upto to overly long, overblown action sequences at the end of the movie. The first film was a riot of fun, moving from one little set piece to another and its something the sequels got wrong.

On Stranger Tides still suffers the problem of having too many parties and characters involved, but it moves along at a much better pace, and plays out alot more like the first film.

I'd be happy for a fifth movie to follow on and for Jack to regain the Pearl and then end it there.

Oh and damn I think im in love with the Spanish lass who played the mermaid. Cute as hell.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Aeus on May 23, 2011, 02:00:31 PM
You just love it 'cause it's the only film where Boba's a badass.

Special Edition DVD this time around.

Sigh. Love ya otherwise, Tem.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed