Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,067,837 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 18, 2011, 01:09:26 PM
I still haven't seen that one...  :-[

Classic Media release it back in 2007, you could find it cheap around $8-$15.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

Alien
The 2003 Directors Cut

What can I say about this film? Fantastic on it's own but Ridley manages to make it even Bette by cherry picking how to put everything in. Every scene has it's power, every scene makes sense and adds to the atmosphere and feel of the movie. To say which version is better, I'd need to watch both right now but I doubt I have the time.

On to the actual review.
Alien is a great movie, let me start by saying that. It's tied for my favorite with Aliens and sometimes falls under to second. Rarely. The beginning, albeit slow, is good. The interaction between characters and set up of concrete character personalities works well. The steady rise and feel of how everyone feels about each other is effective. Right away you can tell, Parker and Brett are close friends and really general assholes. You can tell Dallas is forceful and doesn't like to let his command falter. Ash, Lambert, and Ripley are characterized shortly after. The descent onto the planet is great and it convinces you to think like they do; something that it hopefully continues to convince you to do. When you hear the shield finite the feeling of worry fades away when Dallas waves it off. Then the parts I love about this movie come into play as they reach the Derelict. The reveal of the Jockey still gave me feelings of awe and mystery becaus of that wonderful echoing deep ring that goes through as Kane pulls himself up. Even though I already have seen the movie various times, even though I know what going to happen the feelings are still conveyed. Then when Kane goes into the egg chamber that sense of awe and apprehension that Kane feels transfers over as well. "What the hell is this" indeed. When the egg makes that unsealing noise I still jump a bit, even though I know the noise and I see it coming I still jump a bit. The huggers jumps also freaks me out a bit. From then on you get thy sense of wonderful tension building up. The chest bursting scene albeit definitely creepy didn't scare me. However that barely dulls it's effect as you realize, the crew isn't safe in their own home anymore. After that the tension flares and solidifies with every death of the crew. The never before seen scene where Parker and Lambert get caps for the coolant is wonderfully shot and I like it. When the Aliens shadow shows up against Lambert you can't help but get at least a minor chill. Then the ensuing death as Parker screams for Lambert to run gives you a deep sense of dread. And then no matter how much you shake me, I firmly believe the Alien raped Lambert. That was chilling as well. Immediately after that the scenes of Ripley moving through the hallways are intense and genuinely attention grabbing. The finale is fantastic as always and I gotta say, that egg morphing scene really ties up the minutes we missed in the theatrical version. Man... I love this movie.
15/10
Perfect

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Cap. Fitzgerald on Apr 19, 2011, 03:28:14 AM
And then no matter how much you shake me, I firmly believe the Alien raped Lambert.
Please tell me that was intended.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Spoiler
Alien
The 2003 Directors Cut

What can I say about this film? Fantastic on it's own but Ridley manages to make it even Bette by cherry picking how to put everything in. Every scene has it's power, every scene makes sense and adds to the atmosphere and feel of the movie. To say which version is better, I'd need to watch both right now but I doubt I have the time.

On to the actual review.
Alien is a great movie, let me start by saying that. It's tied for my favorite with Aliens and sometimes falls under to second. Rarely. The beginning, albeit slow, is good. The interaction between characters and set up of concrete character personalities works well. The steady rise and feel of how everyone feels about each other is effective. Right away you can tell, Parker and Brett are close friends and really general assholes. You can tell Dallas is forceful and doesn't like to let his command falter. Ash, Lambert, and Ripley are characterized shortly after. The descent onto the planet is great and it convinces you to think like they do; something that it hopefully continues to convince you to do. When you hear the shield finite the feeling of worry fades away when Dallas waves it off. Then the parts I love about this movie come into play as they reach the Derelict. The reveal of the Jockey still gave me feelings of awe and mystery becaus of that wonderful echoing deep ring that goes through as Kane pulls himself up. Even though I already have seen the movie various times, even though I know what going to happen the feelings are still conveyed. Then when Kane goes into the egg chamber that sense of awe and apprehension that Kane feels transfers over as well. "What the hell is this" indeed. When the egg makes that unsealing noise I still jump a bit, even though I know the noise and I see it coming I still jump a bit. The huggers jumps also freaks me out a bit. From then on you get thy sense of wonderful tension building up. The chest bursting scene albeit definitely creepy didn't scare me. However that barely dulls it's effect as you realize, the crew isn't safe in their own home anymore. After that the tension flares and solidifies with every death of the crew. The never before seen scene where Parker and Lambert get caps for the coolant is wonderfully shot and I like it. When the Aliens shadow shows up against Lambert you can't help but get at least a minor chill. Then the ensuing death as Parker screams for Lambert to run gives you a deep sense of dread. And then no matter how much you shake me, I firmly believe the Alien raped Lambert. That was chilling as well. Immediately after that the scenes of Ripley moving through the hallways are intense and genuinely attention grabbing. The finale is fantastic as always and I gotta say, that egg morphing scene really ties up the minutes we missed in the theatrical version. Man... I love this movie.
15/10
Perfect
[close]

Good review. Personally, my favourite scenes are the Derelict and Ash's Speech. The mystery, the dread, the feeling that there is no hope left... it's palpable.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 19, 2011, 03:34:41 AM
And then no matter how much you shake me, I firmly believe the Alien raped Lambert.
Please tell me that was intended.
:laugh:
Yes.

Daken

Daken

Scream - Every time I watch it I think of Scary Movie an how close the two follow eachother.  :laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 18, 2011, 06:28:19 PM
Those were the transitions from would-be 3D to 2D. Happened in the theater version too, but it was less noticeable.
After some search I came to know that, still, they could've fixed it for the home release. Of course I ain't gonna notice it in an enormous screen, while in a particularly smaller screen I indeed can.
It's no biggie really, just pointed it out. :)

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

The aspect ratio change is because certain sequences were shot in IMAX. And you can tell, for sure. I actually don't mind, the transition to fullscreen makes certain sequences all the more grand.

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Apr 19, 2011, 01:50:50 PM
The aspect ratio change is because certain sequences were shot in IMAX. And you can tell, for sure. I actually don't mind, the transition to fullscreen makes certain sequences all the more grand.

yep this is it, the same thing happened on TDK's Blu Ray

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Toook some getting used to at first, but I don't mind it anymore.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 19, 2011, 02:35:32 PM

Oh jee.
I love that scene. The music is perfect.

And I so found my new desktop.

Keg

Keg

Quote from: AvatarIII on Apr 19, 2011, 01:57:29 PM

yep this is it, the same thing happened on TDK's Blu Ray

I didnt even notice that happened haha. I bet I do next time I watch it now though.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 19, 2011, 02:35:32 PM

Das what I talkin' bout, betches. That and CLU's speech to the Rectified Reich.

And Olivia Wilde's IMAX closeup. Urp.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

When the Wind Blows
I thought The Plague Dogs was depressing. It doesn't even come close to this animated nightmare. Based on the graphic novel by Raymond Briggs (who wrote The Snowman so you know this will be full of laughs and an upbeat tone), an elderly couple in Britain prepare a bomb shelter in case of a nuclear attack. When the attack comes, they remain optimistic that the world will soon get better. One day, they absent mindedly wander outside of their bomb shelter and expose themselves to a lethal dose of fallout. They are in complete denial that they are slowly dying.
Very interesting animation wise. The characters and the outdoors in the country are animated, but the interiors of the house and the sky are live action. Stop motion is used to give the effect of the two moving cups, pillows, etc. This is a very nice and beautiful effect that makes the events seem more real.
The voice acting is top notch, the music is fitting and great (featuring songs by David Bowie and Pink Floyd for the opening and closing credits).
The film starts out beautifully (especially the opening in the country side) and we are forced into an ugly and bleak world after the bomb. There are many disturbing sequences (the couple mistaking the smell of burning flesh for people celebrating the end of the war with cookouts, and mistaking the cries of a dying child for a stray dog) and all add up to a movie that will leave an impression. I feel uncomfortable watching this film. While I don't exactly enjoy it, it does keep popping up. I will always hold it in the highest regard.
Cine-Meter, 9/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed