Shane Black Talks The Predator's Third Act Revisions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 11, 2018, 02:32:37 PM

Author
Shane Black Talks The Predator's Third Act Revisions (Read 21,317 times)

Corporal Hicks

In a new interview with Yahoo! Movies, Shane Black has opened up about quite a few aspects of his time working on The Predator. Black talks plenty about the 3rd act reshoots, how he and Fred Dekker looked for a direction for the film, the focus on disabilities and plenty more.

In regards to the 3rd act, Black goes into more about his decision to remove Edward James Olmos’ character, General Woodhurt, from the film.

Well, the structure remained largely the same. There was a proponent of working with the predators, played by Edward James Olmos, and there was a suggestion that maybe he was trying to recruit the first predator in the movie.

And when we went back we thought that that was one bad guy too many, one character too many in retrospect, and regretfully we removed his role from the movie and just let Sterling K Brown carry it solo.

Cold Iron Studios' Alien Game is a "Massively Multiplayer Online Shooter"

Black also talked a little more about the extent of the reshoots, saying that for the most part it’s the same sequence as originally shot. Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands there was some substancial differences between the original sequences and the new one but it does seem to follow the same basic idea.

Also the Ark site scene, there was a whole different... it was the same set, the same sequence basically, but all set during the day with them attacking the Ark and freeing the kid, and running away with the predator chasing them but it was all daylight. It just... we started to do our effects work, and it looked kind of cheap in a way. It looked... it didn't really feel like a big expensive movie when the predators are just running around in daylight like that.

We could have finished the film like that, honestly we could have, but I just didn't think it would work as well. Thankfully, I have to credit 20th Century Fox, this was a big, fairly expensive deal to turn that back into night time, and they went along with it.

We went up and rebuilt it on a different location, we put the ship back in, restaged the the attack on the ship, and the rescue of the kid, all at night

In regards to his decision to make Aspergers play into the film in a more significant way, Black explained that it was:

Because I think there's a case to be made that people who have what is viewed as a disability are actually the most valuable members of our society. There are those among us who consider schizophrenia to just be another form of existence and not necessarily even... there's one theory that they're seeing something that other people simply don't.

I personally suffer from tourettes disease. I bark and chirp sometimes so I've had to play with that, and I thought I always try to keep a sense of humour about it. It doesn't show up all the time, but when it does it's usually with a girlfriend or something, so I try to keep a sense of humour about it.

Cold Iron Studios' Alien Game is a "Massively Multiplayer Online Shooter"

Black also re-iterates how thankful he is The Predator  has wrapped up, saying that “I'd love to bid goodbye to this thing. As sad it sounds, it's been a long road. If it does well, great, but my lord, it's been seemingly forever.

Keep checking in with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on The Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Samhain13

He should make a comment later on how all those reshoots ended up leading to the ending we got.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I hope that end gets some discussion at some point too.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Hope you can bring someone involved in this movie to one of the podcasts. The one you did with Liam O'Donnell really helped understand the development and prodution of AVPR. Even made me feel some sympathy for the Strauses.

Corporal Hicks

Hopefully. I did reach out to Fred Dekker and he mentioned to RidgeTop at the premiere I'd messaged him but I haven't received a reply.

Tetsujin

It's strange he didn't say anything about APC and Friendly Predators.

Wysps

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 11, 2018, 02:35:28 PM
He should make a comment later on how all those reshoots ended up leading to the ending we got.

Would be very interested to hear about this as well.

His wording makes it appear as if the movie turned out just the way he wanted, so maybe he was in almost total control of the finished product after all? But then again, this quote:

"I'd love to bid goodbye to this thing. As sad it sounds, it's been a long road. If it does well, great, but my lord, it's been seemingly forever."

Sounds like it's coming from a man who has worked very hard, but is incredibly tired and maybe even a little defeated. How much of the movie was him and how much the studio I wonder.

Ultramorph

Between this and some other interviews I've seen, it's clear Black has been exhausted by this movie. Really telling about how rough the production was.

Wweyland

I am interested how the prequel novel factors into the reshoots. It featured Woodhurst but absolutely no indication of friendly Predators or any way they could be used in the prequel story.

BigDaddyJohn

Do you think "that" ending is Black's idea though ? I think it sounds more like a studio exec decision, but it will be hard to know, at least for a while... But i'm sure those 2 days of last minute reshoots are about that ending...

Serpico Jones

So basically Fox didn't want Arnold in the movie because they didn't want to pay his salary and felt he was box office poison. I think that was a mistake.

Huggs

"Because I think there's a case to be made that people who have what is viewed as a disability are actually the most valuable members of our society."

That was poorly worded Shane. Coming from a man who supposedly suffers from a disability, it could be viewed as egotistical and self serving. I'd like to think that no person is more or less valuable than the next. Although those who serve in defense of our nation, and our emergency personnel and police officers who put their lives on the line to protect and save ours every single day might be in the running for that. As we saw 17 years ago today.

Serpico Jones

I don't know what happened to Shane Black on this movie. Dude is usually one of the best screenwriters in Hollywood but he just completely melted down on this.

Original Predator

"I'd love to bid goodbye to this thing. As sad it sounds, it's been a long road. If it does well, great, but my lord, it's been seemingly forever."

LOL.  Sounds like the studio took this thing from him hard and he's exhausted.

MudButt

On a few movie talk podcasts I listen to regularly there have been a few panelists who've heard rumblings about how unhappy he was during this process. Sounds like the studio basically ripped the movie from his hands and had him do these reshoots and cut a bunch of stuff. His next film will definitely not be a big studio film like this again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed