Ridley Scott on AvP

Started by Darkness, Jul 31, 2007, 07:19:42 AM

Author
Ridley Scott on AvP (Read 12,508 times)

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

I don't quite remember that shot, but it seems like it'd be creepy.

Something in AvP that I found moderately interestng: the frozen queen being broken free by drone.

I thought the queen fight at teh end was one of the few "better" moments until the stupid ace in the hole: lets tie a big ol' pot to it!

redalert51

redalert51

From what I have read on other sites and blogs recently, he is being rather coy.
Before AVP both though, he and John Cameron where very critical virtually
saying the concept would be a stinker.

crypto84

crypto84

For Aliens there could be a possibility that Ridley Scott may be a tiny bit jealous of the fact that Aliens was more successful (alot of directors of many franchises are like that if they weren't involved with the sequels) but I think it was successful cause it was really different to the first film and it did stick with Scott's vision most of the time. I personally don't compare the first two films cause to me the first one isn't better than the second and the second wasn't better than the first. In the case of AvP I imagine that but Scott and Cameron were surprised that AvP was a success in some ways cause when it was released in other countries after it came out in the US so the reviews were already there for those countries and people still went to see it, not to mention that it did sell millions of copies on DVD and video.

Quote from: redalert51 on Sep 18, 2007, 01:39:28 AM
From what I have read on other sites and blogs recently, he is being rather coy.

I guess they have to blame Dark Horse comics since they started the merchandise first, then Fox Interactive for the video games then Fox itself for the film franchise. The AvP franchise is really huge so just imagine the AvP franchise, the Alien Franchise and the Predator franchise are combined. That is at least a billion dollar empire for Fox which still generates a alot of money for the merchandices along with the movie franchises.

crypto84

crypto84

One more thing who the hell is John Cameron?  :-\

:D  :D

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: crypto84 on Sep 18, 2007, 06:19:32 PM
For Aliens there could be a possibility that Ridley Scott may be a tiny bit jealous of the fact that Aliens was more successful (alot of directors of many franchises are like that if they weren't involved with the sequels) but I think it was successful cause it was really different to the first film and it did stick with Scott's vision most of the time. I personally don't compare the first two films cause to me the first one isn't better than the second and the second wasn't better than the first. In the case of AvP I imagine that but Scott and Cameron were surprised that AvP was a success in some ways cause when it was released in other countries after it came out in the US so the reviews were already there for those countries and people still went to see it, not to mention that it did sell millions of copies on DVD and video.

I guess they have to blame Dark Horse comics since they started the merchandise first, then Fox Interactive for the video games then Fox itself for the film franchise. The AvP franchise is really huge so just imagine the AvP franchise, the Alien Franchise and the Predator franchise are combined. That is at least a billion dollar empire for Fox which still generates a alot of money for the merchandices along with the movie franchises.

I don't think Ridley is jealous, both movies were incredibly well done. They both exemplify masterful film making.

Ridley should be pissed, though; both Cameron and the otehr films took an idea he'd nurtured and helped build into something different. After Aliens, it all started to go downhill too, so it's understandable that he's wary of any more stupid Alien movies.

True, though AvP/P/A fans hated AvP it was a sucess economically. It reaped millions.
Also, the reason that the film was evidently a stinker and the comics/games were not s because they were formatted for their specified mediums. The comics followed the standard comic story structure, and in video games its okay to just have hacking and slashing. Translating it into the cinema is a hard task, and the film was decidedly written in a different setting too.

AvP was similiar to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Bakc (any kevin smith fans out there?)
Both films were primarily money makers and fanservice. I dont think either are considereed real films.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Seems Ridley wishes he had a chance at making AVP himself:

Quote from: HicksRidley Scott has once again sounded off on Paul Anderson's AVP. This time he says he wished he had been given the chance to direct it! A bit of a reversal for someone who's, up until this point, felt the AVP franchise shouldn't even exist. Check it out:

British director RIDLEY SCOTT has blasted film bosses of the ALIEN franchise for not allowing him to direct 2004's ALIEN VS PREDATOR. The 69-year-old filmmaker, who took charge of the first of the movies but did not direct any of the sequels, now wishes he had been given the chance to return to the series. He says, "Alien Resurrection would have been the end of chapter one, and then you'd start all over again with chapter two. I could have resurrected Alien in the next chapter."

I could only imagine how different, and better, the film would have been if Scott had been behind the helm. But it is hard to picture him being attached to the Predator franchise, even indirectly though AVP. For the original post checkout Contact Music. Thanks to deezelboy in the forums for the news.

It makes one wonder how it could have turned out...even if he doesn't seem to have an affinity for the Predator, the boon of a return for the Alien makes me sort of sad looking at what we ended up with.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

That sounds more like a desire to direct a new 'Alien' film, than the mixed franchise.

SM

SM

Indeed.  He's talking about Alien - not AvP.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Yeah, the more I read it the more I seems he's talking about Alien 5.

Which I hope to see one day. It could happen!

And like monkeys might fly out of my butt.  ::)

WisePredator

WisePredator

Quote from: echobbase79 on Oct 24, 2007, 09:29:56 AM
And like monkeys might fly out of my butt.  ::)
:D

I'd like to see Alien5 end the Alien Franchise...

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Alien: Resurrection ended Ripley's chapter. I wouldn't mind a sequel that opened a new story for the saga.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed