Ridley Scott on AvP

Started by Darkness, Jul 31, 2007, 07:19:42 AM

Author
Ridley Scott on AvP (Read 12,510 times)

Horhey

Horhey

Quote from: SiL on Aug 20, 2007, 08:19:46 PM
But he did indeed say the Cameron turned the Alien into an insect. Damned if I could find the quote, though ...

Ok, but what was it supposed to be before? "A f**kin lizard"? :P

A.Nightmare

A.Nightmare

It does have an exoskeleton like an insect....so Cameron elaborated with the species...and expanded on it...in part 3 they put lips on it and made it a dog ( and yes, I know Scott did say that the Alien conforms to it's host) and in 4, they made the alien sexual...which is what Giger always have in mind with his artwork...but the point that I am making is that when a director or writer gets a hold of the story, they are going to add their style and ideas....we may hate it can all...but it their vision....

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Top-Knot on Aug 20, 2007, 08:25:24 PM
Ok, but what was it supposed to be before? "A f**kin lizard"? :P
No, a f**king alien ;)

QuoteIt does have an exoskeleton like an insect....
That's never shown.

A.Nightmare

A.Nightmare

Well...it kinda is if you see the costume without the use of special effects...it has a skeletal design...you cant deny that....

SiL

SiL

Skeletal design doesn't mean it has an exoskeleton.

Fury161

Fury161

when it is kinda implied that they have an exoskeleton when u c them die

Huol

Huol

Quote from: Horhey on Aug 20, 2007, 04:33:54 PM
Quote from: Huol on Aug 19, 2007, 10:00:15 AM
Quote from: Fury161 on Aug 15, 2007, 12:56:25 AM
i thought the introducing the queen added another level 2 scott's vision
Scott didn't like the queen or the hive.
He said something like:
"He turned my monster into an insect."

Thats silly. What the hell was it before? How could he not like the Queen?
You havn't watched alien?
The alien was not a mere insect like Aliens and all the sequels show it to be.
It was a monster. It wasn't a worker bee, it was a biomechanical, perverse monster.

Urizen

Urizen

if it's not an insect like bio-mech. organism, why did it act like one in Alien?
so they compared it to a bee in Aliens, that doesn't mean a thing. besides, i'd say it's more like an ant.

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

Quote from: Its Game Time on Jul 31, 2007, 11:23:39 PM
I personally dont think avp screwed up the franchise, yeah the movie wasnt the best but it didnt screw up the franchise.

agreed

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

It didn't screw up the franchise but it totally messed with it.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Something no one seems to understand about "screwed up the series"

A lot of tools here (not everyone, A.Nightmare and SM) seem to think that the story and art direction are why the directors are so pissed. Its about the style of movie, and the respect of the film community.

Before: "The Alien series is an intense horror sereis"
Now: "Yeah, they started good, but now....."

Face it, the series is living in its past, as well as Predator, which unfortunately only has one good film to dwell on.

AvP is ruining the Alien franchise in ways not done yet by A3 or Res. Yes, those two f**ked up the story canon, but at least they kept the franchise true to its purpose: to be scary. The Aliens were still icons of fear and suspence, and even a little mystery. They were genetically horrifying and incomprehensible on many levels. They were alien to the audience. And yes, Aliens may have more action than Alien, but it was still horror/suspence to its core.

AvP has taken away the horror. Was anyone scared? No. My sister, being very squeamish, was freaked out by everything the original movies had to offer (even Alien Res and A3!) But even she smiled at AvP's lame suspense.

It changed the whole genre of the franchise, even that of Predator. It made Aliens action creatures. They were weak, stupid, and more semblant (in behavior) to the Arachnids of a very dissappointing Starship Troopers. The Aliens were always fully exposed on camera, never hidden, never sneaking. They simply ran around flayling arms and screaming.

AvP took the Aliens out of Horror, and then took the horror out of Aliens.

Darth_Spud

Darth_Spud

Quote from: The_Kuff on Sep 11, 2007, 11:16:48 PM

A lot of tools here (not everyone, A.Nightmare and SM) seem to think that the story and art direction are why the directors are so pissed. Its about the style of movie, and the respect of the film community.

Face it, the series is living in its past, as well as Predator, which unfortunately only has one good film to dwell on.

AvP is ruining the Alien franchise in ways not done yet by A3 or Res. Yes, those two f**ked up the story canon, but at least they kept the franchise true to its purpose: to be scary. The Aliens were still icons of fear and suspence, and even a little mystery. They were genetically horrifying and incomprehensible on many levels. They were alien to the audience. And yes, Aliens may have more action than Alien, but it was still horror/suspence to its core.

AvP has taken away the horror. Was anyone scared? No. My sister, being very squeamish, was freaked out by everything the original movies had to offer (even Alien Res and A3!) But even she smiled at AvP's lame suspense.

It changed the whole genre of the franchise, even that of Predator. It made Aliens action creatures. They were weak, stupid, and more semblant (in behavior) to the Arachnids of a very dissappointing Starship Troopers. The Aliens were always fully exposed on camera, never hidden, never sneaking. They simply ran around flayling arms and screaming.

Extremely well said!

Except the part where you say "the series is living in its past, as well as Predator, which unfortunately only has one good film to dwell on"

I personally loved Predator 2

A.Nightmare

A.Nightmare

Well said bro...I agree that the Curiously and the Mystery of the creature has been completely exposed. We were more frightened when we couldn't see where the alien was coming from or what the whole creature looked like...that was all left up to our imagination. Like Cameron said, "the Inherent Fear of the Unknown", we are truly scared of we can not see.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: A.Nightmare on Sep 14, 2007, 07:46:08 PM
Well said bro...I agree that the Curiously and the Mystery of the creature has been completely exposed. We were more frightened when we couldn't see where the alien was coming from or what the whole creature looked like...that was all left up to our imagination. Like Cameron said, "the Inherent Fear of the Unknown", we are truly scared of we can not see.

oh absolutely. Even in Aliens, they were only seen for a second here, or a flash there. Most of them was still hidden or shadowed.

Quote from: Darth_Spud on Sep 14, 2007, 07:40:48 PM

Extremely well said!

Except the part where you say "the series is living in its past, as well as Predator, which unfortunately only has one good film to dwell on"

I personally loved Predator 2

Sorry! It was poorly rated is what I meant, and was only okay. It still wasn't nearly as scary.
On the same key, I liked Alien Res, but I realize that as a movie it was terrible!!!!!

Jukebox Joe

Jukebox Joe

Quote from: The_Kuff on Sep 11, 2007, 11:16:48 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. The best shot of the alien in AvP was when you could just see it's head coming out of the darkness. The rest just looked stupid.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed