Next-Gen Aliens Games?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 11, 2006, 09:42:21 AM

Author
Next-Gen Aliens Games? (Read 8,504 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Sega has inked a deal with 20th Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising for a series of games based on the "Alien" movies.

The publisher, best known for its "Sonic the Hedgehog" video game franchise, is developing multiple next-generation and PC video games set in the "Alien" universe, including a first-person shooter and a role-playing game, with the first product to ship in 2008.

Rob Lightner, vp business development, said Sega is in talks with actors from the films, including Sigourney Weaver and Lance Henriksen, to reprise their movie roles by providing their likenesses and voice roles for the games.

"We haven't finalized anything at this point, but everything is on the table," Lightner said. "It's important for everyone to understand the difference here: We're taking licensing to the next level with this franchise."

Mike Gallo, senior producer of the "Alien" games at Sega, said the new games will not follow the strict story lines of any of the four films in the series but instead will provide a new experience by drawing from the history and lore that is the foundation of the films.

"We'll go out of our way to tie the games into the films in unique ways," he said. "We're also looking at all 'Alien' source material for inspiration, in addition to the films. We may incorporate some characters that fans know and love, and we may let gamers find answers to questions that were left unanswered in the movies."

There have been about a dozen "Alien" video games, dating to the Atari 2600 game that came out in 1982 and leading to Glu Mobile's cell phone game "Aliens: Unleashed" from 2003. Gallo said Sega's games will stand out from previous efforts thanks to new technology developed for next-generation machines.

"Alien" (1979) and its three sequels have grossed more than $557 million in worldwide boxoffice and garnered two Oscars.

Elie Dekel, executive vp at 20th Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising, said Fox is keeping the "Alien vs. Predator" franchise, which has a second film in production, apart from this game deal. The "AVP" franchise had a best-selling PC video game franchise from Vivendi Games released before the movie bowed in August 2004. She said that although the first "AVP" film did not have a direct tie-in, there could be a new game for the sequel.

Dekel said that Fox has other catalog properties that could turn into long-term game franchises, naming "Big Trouble in Little China," "The Fly" and "Fantastic Voyage."

In recent months, Sega has done game deals for Paramount's "Charlotte's Web," Marvel Entertainment's "Iron Man" and the "His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass" trilogy of films from New Line.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ia4732eb6ae7c1445aaa927d7aabc41e3

Sounds promising.

The Ultimate Predator

It sure does, Sonic is classic, if they pull off Alien properly, could be amazing.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the RPG. MMORPG?

The Ultimate Predator

Pardon?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. You've never heard of it? Look up Matrix Online, Star Trek Online and Stargate Worlds.

The Ultimate Predator

Oh yes, I know what you mean, the Matrix one is quite famous.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's been caught that Gearbox(Halo for PC/Half-Life for PS2) is going to be creating one game, mostly likely an FPS and that Obsidian(Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic) is going to be doing another one, mostly likely the RPG. Sounds good!

The Ultimate Predator

Sounds bloody good.  :)

Yautja

Yautja

Obsidian was an excellent choice to develop the RPG. Knights of the Old Republic was one of the greatest RPG's ever made. Personally id like to have seen Monolith developing the FPS, but Gearbox seems like a good choice. It seems like things are looking up for Aliens.

The Ultimate Predator

Thats the hope, it should be Aliens to, Predator: Concrete Jungle is meant to be appalling. I'm not that wowed by the trailers for it either, though I might get it at some point.

Yautja

Yautja

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Dec 12, 2006, 02:36:23 PM
Thats the hope, it should be Aliens to, Predator: Concrete Jungle is meant to be appalling. I'm not that wowed by the trailers for it either, though I might get it at some point.

Concrete Jungle is a descent enough game. Its definetly better than what alot of reviews said about the game. The missions in the game are pretty linear, but the game is fun. Theres an excellent CG video at the start of the game also. I'll see if I can find a copy of the video and post it up.

The Ultimate Predator

Thanks, I would like to see it.

Mr. Weyland

Mr. Weyland

Predator CJ is a fun game, but the storyline is so messed up  :'( at one point in time it was gonna be a free-roam game, but FOX told them to hurry up so they sacked the idea.

The Ultimate Predator

Would have been better as free-roam.

carlp06

carlp06

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 11, 2006, 10:10:06 AM
It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the RPG. MMORPG?
I doubt they'll make it MMORPG. It'll be more like star wars KOTR.After all its going to be made by the ones who did KOTR.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed