What would be a proper title for the third (and maybe last) prequel?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, May 12, 2018, 11:12:20 PM

Author
What would be a proper title for the third (and maybe last) prequel? (Read 12,371 times)

Corporal Hicks

Please have that discussion respectfully, gents. There's no need to resort to insulting each other and thank you for appologising Chris.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on May 27, 2018, 07:04:48 PM
I don't have reliable sources like a quote from Ridley Scott or from someone else, but it's quite possible that the production designers took influences from various ancient civilizations around the world and not only of ancient European cultures:

Didn't Scott mention something about the architectural influences in Covenant's director's commentary? Or was that from an interview? Think he mentioned the Pantheon in Rome. One of the journalists who visited the art department during production also mentioned he saw photographs of  Ouarzazate, Morocco and Jerusalem.

The Old One

The Old One

I much prefer Paradise Lost to Covenant, as in the end it's certainly more of a film with the focus on David as the sympathetic devil mixed with Frankenstein.

Than it is about any Covenant, feels like the film's title to me is a symptom of how creatively comprised it is.

I hope the same can't be said for the next entry.

Wweyland

Just name it after the main ship again.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on May 27, 2018, 07:04:48 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on May 27, 2018, 09:43:05 AM
Their city does have some graeco-roman elements, but if you look closely there are also statues that look like eastern Buddha statues.
Also, their language is supposed to be related to ancient Sumerian or something IIRC.

I don't have reliable sources like a quote from Ridley Scott or from someone else, but it's quite possible that the production designers took influences from various ancient civilizations around the world and not only of ancient European cultures:

*insert wall of nice pictures*
Yep that's my impression too.

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 29, 2018, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: tleilaxu on May 27, 2018, 09:43:05 AMHow about trying to think for yourself instead of being a virtue-signalling braindead SJW?

Ouch. I will take "braindead SJW" on the chin, but to say that I was virtue signalling is missing the point. Ancient alien ideas are damaging, particularly versions of them as explicit as the ones presented in the Alien prequels, and I think that it is important to call out these ideas for what they are. It isn't 'virtuous' to point out racism, it's rational.

All that said, I see that my post came off as a personal attack and I unreservedly apologise for that.
How exactly are they damaging besides just being dumb? I'm talking about this specific instance that seems to draw inspiration from a wide range of cultures. The Engineers we see in Covenant look more like Buddhist monks than idealized white supremacy style ancient graeco romans.

Enoch

ChrisPachi

Quote from: tleilaxu on May 29, 2018, 10:07:52 PMHow exactly are they damaging besides just being dumb? I'm talking about this specific instance that seems to draw inspiration from a wide range of cultures.

And in doing so claims that all of those cultures originated from pale-skinned space giants. It's white supremacy fantasy writ large, and it isn't satire.

Local Trouble

Is it more insulting than the Star Wars trilogy?

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 31, 2018, 12:45:14 PMAnd in doing so claims that all of those cultures originated from pale-skinned space giants. It's white supremacy fantasy writ large, and it isn't satire.

So if they'd be green it would've been ok?

Personally I think they're more albino-ish than white.

OpenMaw

It's stupid because we know it didn't happen.

It's not even a "what if?" or "it could happen." Just no. It didn't.

Plus, again, all the implications for the series n the whole that the engineers are our makers and the aliens are tied into that which makes them tied into us. Smaller smaller smaller...

tleilaxu

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 31, 2018, 12:45:14 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on May 29, 2018, 10:07:52 PMHow exactly are they damaging besides just being dumb? I'm talking about this specific instance that seems to draw inspiration from a wide range of cultures.

And in doing so claims that all of those cultures originated from pale-skinned space giants. It's white supremacy fantasy writ large, and it isn't satire.
How is it white supremacy to claim that ALL cultures originated from unpigmented white giants, unless you specifically interpret the Engineers as symbolizing white Europeans? You might be racially prejudiced here my man.

SM

Did they have features that looked, say, African or East Asian?

Baron Von Marlon

The ones in Prometheus looked like perfect specimens but I still think they're like stereotype soldiers or something. Tall, buffed beefcakes. Like shaved, muscled marines. Similar to the sacrificial Engineer. In ancient human sacrifice rituals they often picked healthy, good looking youths in the prime of their life.
Now compare them to the regular ones and the elders. They might be white, albino or whatever. But they certainly don't look like perfect beings.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed