Just got AvP Classic last night... Forgot how AWFUL this game is.

Started by czar225, Dec 06, 2014, 07:25:31 PM

Author
Just got AvP Classic last night... Forgot how AWFUL this game is. (Read 5,436 times)

czar225

I had this game when it first came out, and last night I bought it on steam. This. Game. Is. FRICKIN AWFUL!!!!!!

The aliens move waaaaay too fast.   They are so damn hard to shoot that you often times can't kill them until they're right in front of you clawing your face off.  It's near impossible to dispatch a group without having the majority of them surrounding you and clawing the **** out of you.  Even on easy.  And no, it's not because I'm a "noob" ;  I've been gaming with keyboard and mouse since the Half Life 1 came out and I am not bad at all in most online shooters. 

Their are quite a few silly arguments that fans of the game use to defend this awful gameplay.  "It makes the game more challenging."  No.  It makes it frustrating.  Not being able to hit enemies, because of their speed and the level design, is FRUSTRATING.  A good game design balances challenge without taking it too far and frustrating gamers. 

"Aliens are supposed to be lightning fast."  Did these fools even see Aliens?  They weren't that fast.  The aliens got all their kills by ambush (or in the case of Vasquez and Gorman, the aliens swarmed them until they ran out of ammo).  Nobody was killed because they couldn't hit an alien before it closed distance.   The fastest you ever see an alien move in the movie is when one of them is jumping from wall to wall when Ripley finds Newt in the hive, and even that one wasn't moving very fast.  And what about the speed of the Marine and Predator?  If you play a multiplayer match, they look like they are sliding around on rocket skates!  It looks retarded. 

"That's just how games were back then.  Today's gamers just CAN'T HANDLE this kind of speed."  I've been gaming on PC since the original Doom was released, and I'm glad those days are over.  The level of detail and realism in modern games would be totally negated if you had realistic looking human characters that zip around on rocket skates.  It also makes proficiency in multiplayer less dependent on tactics and teamwork and more on twitch reflexes. 

So in a nutshell, the game is frustrating and it does a piss-poor job of creating an experience that captures the feel and action of the movies it's based on.

Lol, if you're thinking about buying this game, save you're money and go download the ISO images (and multiplayer patches) for the awesome sequel at the AvP2: Resurrection facebook page.  And give us a like!

aliens13

Go play Aliens Colonial Marines or Call of Duty then.

czar225

Quote from: aliens13 on Dec 06, 2014, 07:47:25 PM
Go play Aliens Colonial Marines or Call of Duty then.

Nah.  I've been playing AvP2 online using the Master Server Patch 2.0. 

Predatorium

Valaquen

Not a big fan myself.

WinterActual

Typical "gamers" in 2014 - bitching about game being hard and not constantly winning  ::)

You are not being able to hit the enemies because of yourself, not because of the game.

The game can be finished in 30 min as marine without much hassle. The aliens are pretty fragile in AvP 1 so the only thing you need is good aim so its up to you. And when you get the smartgun its basically easy mode on.

Olde

czar, you sound like such an AVP2 player... You're used to the speed there, where aliens are slow as balls. They get shot right out of the sky by many of the marine's weapons: pulse grenades, AP shotgun bullets, minigun, smartgun, or the worst, the goddamn sniper rifle. AVP2 downgraded the alien to a class nearly impossible to succeed with (in an SDM, how many people really choose the alien?) And any veteran player of AVP Classic will tell you that the predator is far and away the strongest class. Maybe you just need some catharsis; play the predator campaign and when you get to the aliens, use your pistol. Then you'll see how fragile aliens really are.

Randomizer

I agree using the speargun on the Aliens is a pain in the ass but I don't think it's that hard . I know , Xenomorphs aren't so fast but it's not impossible to kill them . Wait until you get the Plasma Pistol or Smartgun  :laugh: .

I completed the game twice on Hard . In the start it's really difficult (especially if you're not used to shooters like these) but in time you'll master the aiming . I did have problems in AvP2 too with aiming the pulse rifle but in the end I got used to it .

Valaquen

Quote from: WinterActual on Dec 07, 2014, 07:47:53 AM
Typical "gamers" in 2014 - bitching about game being hard and not constantly winning  ::)

I've been gaming since 1991  :P Maybe your comment wasn't directed at me.

WinterActual

WinterActual

It was directed at op. But still, people who started playing in the late 80s or early 90s still happen to forgot what the games were back then and get "soft" with the new age gaming where you have just one AWESOME button that wins the game for ya, where you have auto aim, the enemies are slow as shit, everything is scripted, etc.

Valaquen

Quote from: WinterActual on Dec 07, 2014, 02:32:05 PM
It was directed at op. But still, people who started playing in the late 80s or early 90s still happen to forgot what the games were back then and get "soft" with the new age gaming where you have just one AWESOME button that wins the game for ya, where you have auto aim, the enemies are slow as shit, everything is scripted, etc.

I'm mostly a retro player, I'm not into a lot of the new franchises or games. I'm a curmedgeon in that respect. Please don't assume that I'm some soft old fart because I'm not a big fan of AVP Classic 2000.

czar225

Quote from: WinterActual on Dec 07, 2014, 02:32:05 PM

Did any of you even read my original post?  It's not that it's just frustrating IT LOOKS OFFENSIVELY UNREAL AND MAKES FOR AN AWFUL VIDEOGAME INTERPRETATION OF THE MOVIES!!!!!   You think it looks cool the way the pred and marines slide around in multiplayer?

And no, it's not my fault that I can't kill all the aliens before they get to me when I round a corner and they are all right there.  The design of this game is just crap. 

WinterActual

The AvP games are not interpreting the movies. They are set on different planets.

If the aliens were behind the corner you should have know that already via your motion tracker.

Olde

Quote from: czar225 on Dec 06, 2014, 07:25:31 PM
"Aliens are supposed to be lightning fast."  Did these fools even see Aliens?  They weren't that fast.  The aliens got all their kills by ambush (or in the case of Vasquez and Gorman, the aliens swarmed them until they ran out of ammo).

Quote from: czar225 on Dec 07, 2014, 03:07:22 PM
And no, it's not my fault that I can't kill all the aliens before they get to me when I round a corner and they are all right there.

So first you're complaining that they don't ambush you enough, then you complain that you die because of ambushes. Me thinks you're just not used to this game. You can usually outrun most xeno clumps anyway and if you can't, it's because your reflexes are too slow or you've gone too slow that the game's punishing you for not keeping up on exterminator duty.

Crazy Rich

AvP1 is awesome, beat each campaign on the hardest difficulty, had lots of fun with that game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed