Predators Budget set at $40m

Started by willyeckaslike, Aug 30, 2009, 10:11:22 PM

Author
Predators Budget set at $40m (Read 14,399 times)

willyeckaslike

willyeckaslike

Coming Attractions has reported that the budget for Predators is set at $40m.

My first though was that this is a bit low, but on reflection I don't think it's too bad.

Robert Rodriguez is the master of big-look-on-a-small-budget film making, and if he's keeping the bulk of the production based at Troublemaker Studios, I reckon he and Nimrod Antal can make the money go a long way.

When films like Avatar are costing upwards of $200m, it'll be interesting to see what a 'low' budget can achieve in the hands of Rodriguez...

Corporal Hicks

Was already announced in the last news article.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1251515442&archive=

QuoteAs we already know, Robert Rodriguez is shooting the majority of Predators at Troublemaker Studios in Texas. They will now reportedly be filming in Hawaii too according to Tim Ryan's Reel Hawaii.

August 20th - Scouts and other execs for the 20th Century Fox's big budget feature Predators have already visited Kauai and the Big Island for possible two weeks of filming beginning in October. Predators' execs seem to be so taken by the Big Island they're scheduled to return next week making it nearly three weeks. The Big Island at this point has the upper hand, sources said....The BIg Island's Gail Pyburn is coordinating local locations scouting...

August 25th - Scouts for 20th Century Fox's $40-million creature feature are back on the Big Island for their third week of scouting Hawaii most of it where a lot of jungles have been looked at. The production would film for 18 days with an October start if the Hawaii portion is a go. That decision is expected to be made very soon...Some Hawaii production execs are being contacted about availability...

In related news, the cinematographer on Predators will be Gyula Pados who did Kontroll, also directed by Nimród Antal. Thanks to Darkoo and Johnny Handsome for the news.

willyeckaslike

Had a look through that discussion and didn't see anyone comment on the budget. My apologies if I missed it :-)

Keith

Keith

I keep wondering if that $40 million includes the money the project will get from the state for filming in Texas. I hope not and I hope they'll get an extra $5 million or so to make the picture look more "epic" on a so-called "small" budget.

SiL

SiL

After seeing what District 9 did with 30 million, I have no worries about this budget.

Hell, the first two Predator movies were lower-budget anyway.

Weasel

Weasel

Quote from: SiL on Sep 01, 2009, 04:46:03 AM
After seeing what District 9 did with 30 million, I have no worries about this budget.

But those were made in the 80's. Pre "everything must have explosions and CGI everywhere!"

Moody

Moody

But back then it was about the same in terms of value...until T2 came of course ::)

Johnny Handsome

QuoteBut those were made in the 80's. Pre "everything must have explosions and CGI everywhere!"
Replace the CGI with Optical Effects and you get exactly what Predator had back then, explosions and lots of VFX.

But i have to say that everything was cheaper these days, Predator couldn't be done for 18 Mil today.

SiL

SiL

I reckon it could, just not with the same actors. The cloaking effect would be so much easier these days, and wouldn't require quite the level of expensive motion-control cameras. Only one suit, no massive explosions after the Guerrilla camp ... yeah, I could see it done, with the right producer. It's a pretty low-key film.

willyeckaslike

District 9 was exactly the film I had in mind when thinking about Predators. What they managed to achieve with $30m is incredible - it looks any but low budget. I am sure that $40m is plenty.

I agree that the original could be made pretty cheaply today - CGI and digital compositing etc would take away a lot of the trial and error and unpredictabilty of the old optical camouflage effects, meaning that while the technology itself may be more costly, the savings in man-hour terms would result in over-all savings on budget.

xenomorph36

xenomorph36

40 milion is not enough but it's a rated r movie what do you expect.

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

I agree. If anything having a lower budget forces the people making the film to work around the smaller budget, which often results in more creative thinking. Look at Cloverfield or District 9. Or even the original Alien and Predator films. And I for one, don't need insane amounts of CGI in my films. Why not use more pratical effects like the original Predator? 

Moody

Moody

Quote from: cloverfan98 on Sep 08, 2009, 08:40:58 PM

I agree. If anything having a lower budget forces the people making the film to work around the smaller budget, which often results in more creative thinking. Look at Cloverfield or District 9. Or even the original Alien and Predator films. And I for one, don't need insane amounts of CGI in my films. Why not use more practical effects like the original Predator? 

Cause they have to do the whole f*cking Predator homeworld, that alone takes allot of practicality away, not that it doesn't look great those green screens but that and the actor's pay will cost the most in this particular film.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Sep 08, 2009, 08:18:00 PM
40 milion is not enough
Who are you to say that?

Moody

Moody

It's enough for RR, but it would be a plus if it were more ofcourse.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed