What’s your dream job?

Started by littlesprout, Sep 20, 2023, 07:30:00 AM

Author
What’s your dream job? (Read 1,379 times)

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

Being an author and an artist.

My family thought I would always go into Veterinarian medicine. I never did. Would be nice if I could just up and quit work and live off my books and art. It is something I am pursuing, but won't be able to quit my day job.

Quote from: littlesprout on Sep 20, 2023, 07:39:38 PMWow these are all very cool ideas. I think it's universal that we as humans don't mind working but the system in place to live in todays society isn't set up for a good work/life balance. Ideally 3-4 days a week to me seems an effective schedule, but realistically with how taxes and finances get broken down it could never happen unless you save up money, invest, own a business, or have passive income where you have more control over your schedule and free time.

It's a shame how to obtain some basic needs in society can force you to alter what you really want to do. But of course as people we are very adaptable and just kind of settle in to the lives we make, even if it's not the one we want.

This is possible for everyone on a 4 day work week. Problem is businesses don't push for this as they don't want to hire extra help.

Pennsylvania has legally passed a law where anyone making over 32 hours a week has to be given a 4-day work week and compensated in pay.

Even where I work. Many people already work that 3 & 4 day work week.

The other issue is people say "three day weekend off". Technically, not everyone can be off Friday-Sunday. The world works on the weekends, so some people will have to be off Monday-Wednesday and work the weekend.

I personally have volunteered to work the weekend so I can off two days off in a row on Monday and Tuesday.

littlesprout

littlesprout

Quote from: Blackdawn on Sep 21, 2023, 11:41:42 PMBeing an author and an artist.

My family thought I would always go into Veterinarian medicine. I never did. Would be nice if I could just up and quit work and live off my books and art. It is something I am pursuing, but won't be able to quit my day job.

Quote from: littlesprout on Sep 20, 2023, 07:39:38 PMWow these are all very cool ideas. I think it's universal that we as humans don't mind working but the system in place to live in todays society isn't set up for a good work/life balance. Ideally 3-4 days a week to me seems an effective schedule, but realistically with how taxes and finances get broken down it could never happen unless you save up money, invest, own a business, or have passive income where you have more control over your schedule and free time.

It's a shame how to obtain some basic needs in society can force you to alter what you really want to do. But of course as people we are very adaptable and just kind of settle in to the lives we make, even if it's not the one we want.

This is possible for everyone on a 4 day work week. Problem is businesses don't push for this as they don't want to hire extra help.

Pennsylvania has legally passed a law where anyone making over 32 hours a week has to be given a 4-day work week and compensated in pay.

Even where I work. Many people already work that 3 & 4 day work week.

The other issue is people say "three day weekend off". Technically, not everyone can be off Friday-Sunday. The world works on the weekends, so some people will have to be off Monday-Wednesday and work the weekend.

I personally have volunteered to work the weekend so I can off two days off in a row on Monday and Tuesday.

I completely relate to this. I'm actually an up and coming pilot in the airline industry - paying my dues at the moment. I sometimes work 6 (FAA only allows 6 straight with a 24hr rest period after) in a row but I could have another 6 day trip after that, as long as it's legal for the company. Days off can be random days of the week or weekend, it's all based on a seniority bid. But I typically work just over half the month maybe more. But each month varies depending on pilot needs and if people leave for other airlines. I know down the road at the bigger airlines I will have a way better quality of life where pay increases significantly as well as time off. But it is nice to have the randomness. Especially waking up at weird times, or flying early mornings or nights and being done at different times. I don't think I can do the typical M-F personally, but I know for some that structure is needed.

As far as my dream job, I do love flying, but I love writing screenplays and directing has always been fascinating to me.

Same with helping people, I would like to get my EMT certification and volunteer.

Alls I know is I don't want to go back to landscaping or working in a restaurant. Those people have my full respect, That was hard work!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 02, 2020, 08:51:35 AMWouldn't a billion quid brighten your mood?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2020, 09:17:10 AMOh God yeah. Quit my job, go do a f**k tonne of training where I wont be constantly interrupted, come back and do something I want.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 02, 2020, 09:30:51 AMWhat, like Bruce Wayne?

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 02, 2020, 05:34:20 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2020, 05:27:24 PMHa. I was thinking more in terms of sql and web development.

You'd get training just so you could get a new job?  Even though you're a billionaire?  :o

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2020, 05:39:26 PMI'd certainly still work. Maybe just part-time, or do it for myself at home. But I'd do something. I can't not do things.

I bet Hicks would still find a way to get no sleep.

SM

SM

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Sep 20, 2023, 07:12:37 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 20, 2023, 07:01:52 PMMy dream job, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UQv2JUZoU

Palaeontology / Paleobiology is really cool! 😃 Do you study it? (or is it more a hobby /interest?) 

He meant he wanted to be the kid.

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

@littlesprout I actually liked landscaping and construction work. It was a summer job when I was a teen. Problem I had with is it's not consistent for a steady income as work depends on the season and weather then if the client doesn't stiff you.
Aside from that, I loved it. Always loved building with my hands.

littlesprout

littlesprout

Quote from: Blackdawn on Sep 22, 2023, 05:14:35 AM@littlesprout I actually liked landscaping and construction work. It was a summer job when I was a teen. Problem I had with is it's not consistent for a steady income as work depends on the season and weather then if the client doesn't stiff you.

Most definitely! My friend owned a business growing up and I used to help out during the summer as well. Aesthetically it was very neat, as well as watching how a product unfolds and comes together. But I'm not sure I was cutout for 5-7 days a week sunrise to sundown, at least being the shovel guy and all. But I did like being outside and learning new things as well!

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

Quote from: littlesprout on Sep 22, 2023, 05:47:49 AM
Quote from: Blackdawn on Sep 22, 2023, 05:14:35 AM@littlesprout I actually liked landscaping and construction work. It was a summer job when I was a teen. Problem I had with is it's not consistent for a steady income as work depends on the season and weather then if the client doesn't stiff you.

Most definitely! My friend owned a business growing up and I used to help out during the summer as well. Aesthetically it was very neat, as well as watching how a product unfolds and comes together. But I'm not sure I was cutout for 5-7 days a week sunrise to sundown, at least being the shovel guy and all. But I did like being outside and learning new things as well!

I was homeschooled and few up on a farm. So I was up at 4-5 am for the farm, some school at home, then my Mom would drop me off wherever the site was and leave.

Winter time was harder as I was up at 3-4 to feed the animals. Winter time involves extra care.

One thing though, I am not a morning person. Been waking between 3-5 am for 30 years. It's not not something you train your brain to do. You're either a morning person or you're not.

littlesprout

littlesprout

that's an incredible story, sounds like you had to put in some hard work. What kind of animals did you guys have? I only ever dealt with cows, chickens, and horses

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 22, 2023, 12:42:05 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 02, 2020, 08:51:35 AMWouldn't a billion quid brighten your mood?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2020, 09:17:10 AMOh God yeah. Quit my job, go do a f**k tonne of training where I wont be constantly interrupted, come back and do something I want.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 02, 2020, 09:30:51 AMWhat, like Bruce Wayne?

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 02, 2020, 05:34:20 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2020, 05:27:24 PMHa. I was thinking more in terms of sql and web development.

You'd get training just so you could get a new job?  Even though you're a billionaire?  :o

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2020, 05:39:26 PMI'd certainly still work. Maybe just part-time, or do it for myself at home. But I'd do something. I can't not do things.

I bet Hicks would still find a way to get no sleep.

This would still be my other option. Or I'd just work on content for the site.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 20, 2023, 07:41:25 PMI would relax... I would sit on my ass all day... I would do nothing.

What about becoming a Turkey driver?

One can aspire to no higher calling than that.

SiL

SiL

I like video editing.

I don't like stressing about people paying their invoices, but I love the work.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 22, 2023, 08:03:52 AMThis would still be my other option. Or I'd just work on content for the site.

You wouldn't flex your billionaire powers to gain some control over the franchise?  Maybe as a licensee?

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

Quote from: littlesprout on Sep 22, 2023, 06:44:25 AMthat's an incredible story, sounds like you had to put in some hard work. What kind of animals did you guys have? I only ever dealt with cows, chickens, and horses

Goats, racoons, snakes, iguanas, rabbits. Various aquatic critters and fowl.

That's why my family thought I would go into Veterinarian medicine.

I think what it is I just like doing dirty work with my hands. While I don't want to be a Veterinarian, I never minded being a Vet tech in helping the Vet with all the dirty work, then cleaning up all the pee, puke and vomit. I was a great stable hand. Loved it.

So, yeah. I like cleaning up poop from animals. Just not the human kind.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed