Art of the Cut: Prey

Started by ace3g, Sep 17, 2022, 01:41:22 PM

Author
Art of the Cut: Prey (Read 993 times)

ace3g

ace3g

https://aotc.borisfx.com/art-of-the-cut/prey

Angela Catanzaro, ACE, on editing on the newest Predator film, the power of silence, and why she likes being on the mix stage.

QuoteAngela, it was great talking to you the last time we talked, and I'm so glad we're getting a chance to talk again about this. This was a really interesting film because so much of the filmmaking was wordless. It's really cinema because there's so little dialogue. Talk to me about the challenges of editing that.

It was challenging in some ways, but honestly, that is one of the main things that drew me to the project because anytime I have the opportunity to tell a story visually with sound or with music, I'm always looking for those moments. I think dialogue is great, but any time you can eliminate it, you can simplify it. I think for the audience, there's a level of appreciation and enjoyment when there are no words involved.

TC

TC

Quote from: ace3g on Sep 17, 2022, 01:41:22 PMhttps://aotc.borisfx.com/art-of-the-cut/prey

Angela Catanzaro, ACE, on editing on the newest Predator film, the power of silence, and why she likes being on the mix stage.

QuoteAngela, it was great talking to you the last time we talked, and I'm so glad we're getting a chance to talk again about this. This was a really interesting film because so much of the filmmaking was wordless. It's really cinema because there's so little dialogue. Talk to me about the challenges of editing that.

It was challenging in some ways, but honestly, that is one of the main things that drew me to the project because anytime I have the opportunity to tell a story visually with sound or with music, I'm always looking for those moments. I think dialogue is great, but any time you can eliminate it, you can simplify it. I think for the audience, there's a level of appreciation and enjoyment when there are no words involved.

Ah yes, the David Mamet school of thought.

It's really a way of distinguishing film storytelling from that of a play. Traditional thought is that films are all about the visual, plays are all about the dialogue.

But films come in all shapes and sizes, from the silent movies of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton etc, to the movies of Quentin Tarantino and Aaron Sorkin which many audiences will tell you are chiefly characterised by great dialogue (and I don't think they're wrong).

But from an editor's point of view, action sequences give you some fantastic opportunities to piece together a scene that is far more than the mere sum of its parts, so I understand where she's coming from.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed