Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 849,484 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
X-Men 2
The Unborn (2009)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 13, 2017, 10:52:24 AMBig Hero 6
This was amazing. Im catching up on all these Disney films I missed first time round and this one was great. Although i did guess the villain reveal about 10 minutes in lol.

I'm not normally one for kids' movies, but even I loved that one.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Revenge of the Ninja

This was great fun, with that closing rooftop fight kicking so much ass it was unreal. Not much to say apart from that, but it was fun seeing future Ninja Warrior contestant (and Godzilla: Final Wars co-star) Kane Kosugi as a little kid fighting people three times his size. XD

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 09, 2017, 09:51:42 PM
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Um, what the hell did I just watch? It started out pretty well, but the constant chatter about the nature of dolls and a doll's soul got grating after a while, and the solution to the big mystery is crammed into about two minutes right at the end.

A mess.. but a very pretty mess.

Both films by Oshii feel like a "greatest hits" of the manga. Taking setpieces, plots and dialogue and blending them together.

Scorpio

Scorpio

X-Men:  The Last Stand

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Ninja III: The Domination

I don't know what just happened, why it happened, or if any of it made any sort of sense, but that was one hell of a crazy trip. I mean, the arcade game in her apartment is evil... I think. :laugh: Also, this just might me pick for most awkward romance / unsexy sex scene. I mean, V8?  :-X

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 13, 2017, 11:52:56 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 09, 2017, 09:51:42 PM
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Um, what the hell did I just watch? It started out pretty well, but the constant chatter about the nature of dolls and a doll's soul got grating after a while, and the solution to the big mystery is crammed into about two minutes right at the end.

A mess.. but a very pretty mess.

Both films by Oshii feel like a "greatest hits" of the manga. Taking setpieces, plots and dialogue and blending them together.

I read the first volume of the manga a while back. I started in volume two, but it just didn't feel right.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Cutthroat Island

This film has a legendary reputation for absolutely tanking and killing off pirate movies for the best part of a decade (until they made the first Pirates of the Caribbean)... but the honest truth is, it's just not that bad. It's overblown, but no more so than the big-budget blockbusters that have followed it, and is just a really entertaining flick that ticks all the necessary pirate boxes. The only reason it bombed so badly is because they spent so much money making it - in the days before CGI, they actually had to build a bunch of full-size pirate galleons for the production.

The flipside of that expense is the budget really shows on screen; this is one hell of a spectacular film. And it ends with what has to be one of the greatest explosions in cinematic history, when they fill one of the huge galleons with a shitton of explosives and blow it up for real.

Oh yeah, this movie is also one of the few to contain a stunt that I just cannot understand how they did it no matter how many times I see it - namely when Geena Davis' character crashes out of a window, rolls down a roof and drops perfectly into the driver's seat of a stagecoach racing underneath the building... all in one single, uninterrupted take. Damn that's an impressive scene.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Fast and Furious 8
As over the top as was expected, but a fantastic film anyway. So good call backs to earlier films and cant wait for a ninth

Selma
Such a powerful film. Some excellent performances. Hard to believe this was in my parents lifetime

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 15, 2017, 12:14:11 PMFast and Furious 8
As over the top as was expected, but a fantastic film anyway. So good call backs to earlier films and cant wait for a ninth

I gotta confess... despite myself, I actually really enjoy these films. I feel like a lot of the people who bitch about them being stupid are completely missing the fact they're just the modern equivalent of the kind of over-the-top, ridiculous action movies guys like Arnie and Stallone used to make in the 80s and 90s. Sure they're stupid, but isn't that part of the fun? I don't watch Commando because it's a serious character study, I watch it because it's an escapist riot.

Seeing the new one Tuesday, looking forward to it. How does it rate compared to the last few?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I still can't believe they went with that title. :laugh:

Scorpio

Scorpio

Spider-man (2002)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 14, 2017, 01:24:35 AM
I read the first volume of the manga a while back. I started in volume two, but it just didn't feel right.

I did read volume 2. Not a fan of that one. That one's just Shirow jerking off to all his world building skills.

Vol. 1.5 though... gets a thumbs up. Lots of fun.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 16, 2017, 11:06:22 AM
I don't watch Commando because it's a serious character study.

It is a serious character study of being awesome.  ;D

Saw Logan at the cinema and thought it was really great.

Also finally watched the "new" Mad Max - which was absolutely fantastic.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 16, 2017, 11:06:22 AM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 15, 2017, 12:14:11 PMFast and Furious 8

I gotta confess... despite myself, I actually really enjoy these films. I feel like a lot of the people who bitch about them being stupid are completely missing the fact they're just the modern equivalent of the kind of over-the-top, ridiculous action movies guys like Arnie and Stallone used to make in the 80s and 90s. Sure they're stupid, but isn't that part of the fun? I don't watch Commando because it's a serious character study, I watch it because it's an escapist riot.

Seeing the new one Tuesday, looking forward to it. How does it rate compared to the last few?

Exactly. As seen in the trailers, only these kind of movies can you have the Rock push away a torpedo with his bare hands lol.

Its a great switch your brain off film. Not as good as 7, but better than 5/6

Power Rangers (2017)
Nostalgia overload. This was nicely done and oddly respectful to the history, even though its a reboot. Although I didn't like the designs of a couple of the Zords. It was difficult to tell what they were meant to be, even though I knew what they were lol. Elizabeth Banks chews that scenery for all its worth, but it works with Rita. Having Bryan Cranston is a nice touch considering his links to the original series and there are a couple of geeky cameos as well

Ghost in the Shell (2017)
Visually stunning and the story is simplified enough, while still being respectful to the various source materials. Its a great bit of world building and having Takeshi Kitano is always worthwhile. I'd love a sequel, but its doubtful sadly

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 18, 2017, 11:20:02 AMIts a great switch your brain off film. Not as good as 7, but better than 5/6

It's funny you should say that, because I still think Fast Five is by far the best in the series.

Maybe it was because it was just such a huge surprise, coming off the back of three honestly quite forgettable, unimaginative sequels before it... It was such a shock to suddenly have this enormous explosion of insanity with what felt like the budget of all the previous movies combined and doubled backing it up, and just about every character from all the previous entries returning to make it this big ensemble piece. I never would've guessed that what was at that point quite a low-key series, following on from a cult remake of Point Break where cars replaced surfboards, could so instantaneously become this enormous, blockbuster action spectacular.

Plus I honestly think the final safe-dragging chase around Rio at the end is one of the best action sequences of the last decade, and none of the films since have matched it (although, my God have they tried :laugh:).

God damn, that sudden rant brought back some memories of the first time I saw that film in the cinema lol. Honestly not sure I've ever been so pleasantly surprised by a movie.

But yeah, looking forward to the new one :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed