Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 855,928 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Yeah, general consensus is that 1 and 5 are comfortably the best of the series. Hu just basically made all the points about 5 (except Rock. He's become the series' biggest star now really).

With the original film, it may be a rip-off of Point Break, but I'd argue that it's the more enjoyable film despite the lack of Reeves/Swayze tier star wattage. Arguably taps into a richer subculture, great pace, fun action, and you never hear this talked about but it's fantastically filmed. Some of the shots are stunning and there's a real sense that you're seeing something a bit different and a little special.

(Plus the occasional gratuitous arse shot.)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yeah, when I went back and watched them all  few years back, 5 really took me by surprise. The others weren't terrible (well, maybe 4 was), but Fast Five just went insane. And the Rock was awesome as a crazier version of Sam Gerard. I was actually disappointed in 6 when he just normal Rock in it. And I still haven't seen 7...

Samurai Cop - Rifftrax Live

The perfect bad movie. "The chief's gonna burn me, he's gonna burn my ass!" "He's gonna burn it- charcoal black." "It is black." *high five*

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Fast & Furious 8, as it's apparently known here in the UK

Really enjoyed it. Still hasn't displaced Five as my favourite, but it was another hefty dose of mental fun. I thought Statham was far better utilised in this than the previous one, where he honestly felt kinda wasted despite playing the main villain, and Helen Mirren as his mum was a riot; I love it when usually respectable actors do something like this just for the lulz. Great to see Kurt Russell with a bigger role too, as I'm a big fan of his.

Paul Walker was sorely missed, and Scott Eastwood as his pseudo-replacement didn't really work (mostly because he mysteriously vanished for virtually all of the final action sequence) although he certainly looked the part and I hope he gets more to do in the future. Damn he looks like his dad.

Anyone else think the gang forgave Statham for killing Han a little too easily?

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 19, 2017, 10:30:06 AM

Really enjoyed it. Still hasn't displaced Five as my favourite, but it was another hefty dose of mental fun. I thought Statham was far better utilised in this than the previous one, where he honestly felt kinda wasted despite playing the main villain, and Helen Mirren as his mum was a riot; I love it when usually respectable actors do something like this just for the lulz. Great to see Kurt Russell with a bigger role too, as I'm a big fan of his.

Paul Walker was sorely missed, and Scott Eastwood as his pseudo-replacement didn't really work (mostly because he mysteriously vanished for virtually all of the final action sequence) although he certainly looked the part and I hope he gets more to do in the future. Damn he looks like his dad.

Yes, teaming up with him and not kicking his ass for Han seemed a little too easy in my opinion, but I really enjoyed it myself and it's the last film I've seen as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Like how they easily forgave The Rock for being a crazy bastard in 5? :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

What was there to forgive Hobbs for? They'd all broken the law and it was his job to hunt them down.

He didn't murder one of them just to antagonise the rest.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 19, 2017, 10:30:06 AM

I would say that them forgiving him is not a problem. At the end of the day, being the bad guy here was a point of view. Statham was after Dom and the others because they "crippled" his brother.  The stuff that our heroes get up to throughout the series is illegal so to some they would be the bad guys.

They were forced into working together and then the revelation that the Shaw could make Cypher the one responsible for his brother being in the position to get hurt help the scenario and then Dom gets the best possible truce present from him
Spoiler
in the form of rescuing his son
[close]
. I would be very thankful for that.

I felt they rectconned Statham's character pretty well here.

It's Fast and Furious at the end of the day so if all the action can be that unrealistic then why can't the drama? Lol.

Mirrem was great and so was Russell. Love the Rock. Beast.

I would say this is the best since 5, which is the series best.

Russ

Russ

Finally... Sicario. Despite being a bit tenuous in places, I really enjoyed it for its stone-cold badassery and great performances.

Scorpio

Scorpio

The Wolverine (2013) - 6/10

Godzilla (2014) - 4/10

----------------------------------------

Rings (2017)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Seven
The lust killing is still one of the most disturbing scenes ever, and you see nothing.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Prometheus

Watching it again in preparation for the Engineers episode. I like it well enough, but there are enough annoying bits to knock it down a few pegs for me.

Also, Dune Productions? I suppose the black goo is hyper-concentrated spice, then. :laugh:

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (Extended Edition)

Still my favorite of the trilogy, as the hopeless and frailty atmosphere is evident and runs well with the book (which of course is still tops). The extra scenes and tidbits really make a difference in this movie, but it seems the following two films' extra scenes don't make that big of a difference imo. Overall, one of my favorite all time films.

10/10

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Apr 28, 2017, 02:49:14 AM
The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (Extended Edition)

Still my favorite of the trilogy, as the hopeless and frailty atmosphere is evident and runs well with the book (which of course is still tops). The extra scenes and tidbits really make a difference in this movie, but it seems the following two films' extra scenes don't make that big of a difference imo. Overall, one of my favorite all time films.

10/10

I think a number of the added bits in Two Towers add a lot, like the expanded Rohan scenes and Faramir's flashback, as well as monologue over the dead Haradrim warrior. Return also has Saruman's death scene and the Mouth of Sauron. The extended Paths of the Dead was less than great, though, and felt like the old Peter Jackson came through a tad too much.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

It's been so long since I seen the regular cut of TTT, but yeah, some of the mentioned parts certainly do make a difference. My favorite may have been The Ring Of Barahir part. Fellowship still has my vote for best overall atmosphere and scenery.

Scorpio

Scorpio

The LOTR trilogy really needed to focus on Frodo and his quest.  All the rest is filler.  I thought this when reading the books as well. 

Latest movies I watched:

When A Stranger Calls (2006) - actually a fairly good remake
The Ward (2010) - underrated, a decent John Carpenter film

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed