Which director from the Alien series is the best overall as a filmmaker?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 23, 2017, 06:15:44 PM

Which director from the Alien series is the best overall as a filmmaker?

Ridley Scott
James Cameron
David Fincher
Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Author
Which director from the Alien series is the best overall as a filmmaker? (Read 5,869 times)

SM

Aren't we only allowed to make one choice?

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2017, 05:03:36 AM

Yeah, But that response was for SIL.

SiL

Quote from: Chronicle on Jul 02, 2017, 05:02:17 AM
Ok, SIL. Really? That still doesn't remove the fact that Fincher and Jeunet have made some REMARKABLE films.
So has Cameron. He's made some of the most influential movies ever made. He's consistently raised the bar for filmmaking technologies and broken new ground in how stories can be told cinematically. That people might actually enjoy his films -- yes, more than the others -- is hardly remarkable.

QuoteCameron is indeed a very good filmmaker but don't idolize him and make him the GOD of movies.
How did you get idolatry and deification out of me saying he's good at what he does and that people enjoy his films ???

Quote from: Chronicle on Jul 02, 2017, 05:06:31 AM

I voted for Jeunet...

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SiL on Jul 02, 2017, 05:07:51 AM
Quote from: Chronicle on Jul 02, 2017, 05:02:17 AM
Ok, SIL. Really? That still doesn't remove the fact that Fincher and Jeunet have made some REMARKABLE films.
So has Cameron. He's made some of the most influential movies ever made. He's consistently raised the bar for filmmaking technologies and broken new ground in how stories can be told cinematically. That people might actually enjoy his films -- yes, more than the others -- is hardly remarkable.

QuoteCameron is indeed a very good filmmaker but don't idolize him and make him the GOD of movies.
How did you get idolatry and deification out of me saying he's good at what he does and that people enjoy his films ???

Quote from: Chronicle on Jul 02, 2017, 05:06:31 AM

I voted for Jeunet...

Well, how was I suppose to know you voted for Jeunet? Plus, from your response up top you SURE sounded like a true Cameron voter..no offense and I don't need any little funny little quips or side remarks that make you feel or look better. You really are well respected and well enough of a nice guy not to do that stuff. I'm just saying, Cameron collectively voted all too often.

SiL

Quote from: Chronicle on Jul 02, 2017, 05:13:12 AM
Well, how was I suppose to know you voted for Jeunet?
I said it on the first page. And if that was too far back you could have asked, instead of making an assumption and then, bizarrely, accusing me of idolizing or making Cameron a "GOD" of filmmaking just because I said people might actually just enjoy his stuff, not his reputation.

QuoteI'm just saying, Cameron collectively voted all too often.
By people who genuinely enjoy his films. He's literally made two of the highest grossing movies of all time, it's safe to say there might be a lot of people who think he's a good filmmaker.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SiL on Jul 02, 2017, 05:29:13 AM
I said it on the first page. And if that was too far back you could have asked, instead of making an assumption and then, bizarrely, accusing me of idolizing or making Cameron a "GOD" of filmmaking just because I said people might actually just enjoy his stuff, not his reputation.

By people who genuinely enjoy his films. He's literally made two of the highest grossing movies of all time, it's safe to say there might be a lot of people who think he's a good filmmaker.

Ok, I realize that and you have made a good point. I apologize for reacting the way I did. I should of saw your Jeunet post earlier on page 1. My fault :-\

Quote from: SiL on Jul 02, 2017, 05:29:13 AM

So may I ask you than SIL, what drew you to vote for Jeunet? Good choice by the way.

Gash

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 25, 2017, 09:01:08 PM
Sir Ridley Scott is the best between them. By Far. No competition.

James Cameron is the most Overrated here and in the real world.

Agree.

Scott has made enough great films in many genres to be considered the best film maker out of the ALIEN series.

Fincher has made a few classics, I'd place him second probably.

Then Jeunet, Resurrection aside can't fault much of his output.

Cameron's made a couple of classics and a whole bunch of awful rubbish. I'll actually happily watch Piranha 2 Flying Killers over most of what he's done - it's a fun cheapo that probably works because it is what it is and it's not overblown like practically everything else he's made since. Terrible dialogue of course, but it fits with the tone being practically a parody, unfortunately the quality of the dialogue in his later films hasn't improved whist the budgets have soared. Terminator 2 is his most competent film - but, technicalities aside, it's all down hill from there.

SiL

He didn't write Piranha 2 and directed all of one or two shots of the finished film.

PsyKore

I voted James Cameron because he made The Terminator. The greatest film of ALL TIME.

I don't think of the others as anything less though. I endlessly love Alien, and Ridley Scott's films always fascinate me. Fincher's are consistently great and intriguing and his movie, The Game, will always be my favourite of his.

JPJ is the only one I don't know much about, sorry. But maybe I should check some of his work out at some point.

Gash

Quote from: SiL on Jul 02, 2017, 10:12:21 AM
He didn't write Piranha 2 and directed all of one or two shots of the finished film.

Oh well, there you go, that's why it's his best then. Somebody else made it.

SM

Is that all?  I thought he directed pretty much the whole thing then they took it off him during post.

SiL

Nah, he was kicked off before they even finished and the producer did the rest, which was apparently his MO (something to do with securing financing incentives). Cameron had to sneak into the editing to see that they were at least using some of what he'd done, as their rationale for firing him was that his material 'wasn't working', which made him doubt himself as a director.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 28, 2017, 01:25:49 AM
Quote from: Laz on Jun 27, 2017, 06:25:02 PM
Cameron by a landslide for me. I only recently (within the last year or two) caught Xenogenesis, his debut short, and the level of talent on display even then was remarkable. When I think of what I want out of a movie - enjoyment, spectacle, heart, cohesive storytelling - he's the one that shows the greatest amount of ability in each category. Not only this, but looking at his filmography (as director alone) reveals not only three of my favorite films (the first two Terminators and Aliens), but also significant works for film as a whole.

Fincher is second but there's a considerable gap. Alien 3 turned out as good as it did through his vision but its faults, though not on Fincher's shoulders, are still there. Se7en, Fight Club, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are my favorites of his, but stuff like Zodiac, Gone Girl, and Social Network either bore or aggravate me. His is a very distinct visual style, too, but that has its benefits and its drawbacks.

#3 is Scott. I have no problem saying he peaked early with Alien and Blade Runner, and even less saying I don't enjoy much of his work at all. Black Hawk Down feels like Ridley trying to do a "mature" take on the technique du jour (quick cuts, drain the color in post, focus on the situation and not characters), Robin Hood is an embarrassment, Gladiator is overrated, White Squall and 1492 are subpar even compared to Lloyd Kaufman's output...but hey, at least Alien and Blade Runner are legitimately great.

Just missing the medals is Jeunet, and that's only because City of Lost Children is amazing.

#5 is the Brothers Strause, with an even wider gap than between Cameron and Fincher. Say what you will about AVPR or Skyline, but at least there feels like a true attempt at doing something somewhat original within genre tropes. Plus? They do some solid VFX work.

#6, worst of the bunch, is clearly Paul WS Anderson. Forget about AVP for a second and remember that his only decent movies were either based on a popular video game with limited lore (Mortal Kombat) or a blend of iconic horror themes of yesteryear (Event Horizon). The RE series is garbage, his Death Race remake was mediocre and bland compared to the outrageous camp of the Corman original, his Three Musketeers is one of the worst takes on the story...just homogeneous crap all around designed to appease the lowest common denominator and make sure his wife keeps a steady paycheck.

I disagree 100%.

James Cameron peaked 31 years ago. His finests still are THE TERMINATOR(1984) and ALIENS(1986). TERMINATOR 2 is a family friendly version of his greatest film ever.

Sir Ridley Scott got better with age. Actors and actresses said it. The perfect performances in ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER were lucky because he almost never talked to the actors and actresses. I prefer his later work. I love THELMA & LOUISE, GLADIATOR, BLACK HAWK DOWN, THE MARTIAN, AMERICAN GANGSTER, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN: DIRECTOR'S CUT, PROMETHEUS, THE COUNSELOR and ALIEN: COVENANT.

But did you liked 1492, White Squall, GI Jane, Hannibal, Matchstick Men, A Good Year, Body Of Lies, Robin Hood ? Because they weren't that good... And there is a fair amount of them...

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2017, 11:09:35 AM

Is that all?  I thought he directed pretty much the whole thing then they took it off him during post.

Yep, he only shot the morgue scene and one more on the water during the day. The rest was directed by the producer. Cameron was already a second director on this very film who got the same deal - hired, then immediately fired (first one was Miller Drake). They just needed an american sounding name to distribute it in US

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 02, 2017, 04:18:03 PM
Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 28, 2017, 01:25:49 AM
Quote from: Laz on Jun 27, 2017, 06:25:02 PM
Cameron by a landslide for me. I only recently (within the last year or two) caught Xenogenesis, his debut short, and the level of talent on display even then was remarkable. When I think of what I want out of a movie - enjoyment, spectacle, heart, cohesive storytelling - he's the one that shows the greatest amount of ability in each category. Not only this, but looking at his filmography (as director alone) reveals not only three of my favorite films (the first two Terminators and Aliens), but also significant works for film as a whole.

Fincher is second but there's a considerable gap. Alien 3 turned out as good as it did through his vision but its faults, though not on Fincher's shoulders, are still there. Se7en, Fight Club, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are my favorites of his, but stuff like Zodiac, Gone Girl, and Social Network either bore or aggravate me. His is a very distinct visual style, too, but that has its benefits and its drawbacks.

#3 is Scott. I have no problem saying he peaked early with Alien and Blade Runner, and even less saying I don't enjoy much of his work at all. Black Hawk Down feels like Ridley trying to do a "mature" take on the technique du jour (quick cuts, drain the color in post, focus on the situation and not characters), Robin Hood is an embarrassment, Gladiator is overrated, White Squall and 1492 are subpar even compared to Lloyd Kaufman's output...but hey, at least Alien and Blade Runner are legitimately great.

Just missing the medals is Jeunet, and that's only because City of Lost Children is amazing.

#5 is the Brothers Strause, with an even wider gap than between Cameron and Fincher. Say what you will about AVPR or Skyline, but at least there feels like a true attempt at doing something somewhat original within genre tropes. Plus? They do some solid VFX work.

#6, worst of the bunch, is clearly Paul WS Anderson. Forget about AVP for a second and remember that his only decent movies were either based on a popular video game with limited lore (Mortal Kombat) or a blend of iconic horror themes of yesteryear (Event Horizon). The RE series is garbage, his Death Race remake was mediocre and bland compared to the outrageous camp of the Corman original, his Three Musketeers is one of the worst takes on the story...just homogeneous crap all around designed to appease the lowest common denominator and make sure his wife keeps a steady paycheck.

I disagree 100%.

James Cameron peaked 31 years ago. His finests still are THE TERMINATOR(1984) and ALIENS(1986). TERMINATOR 2 is a family friendly version of his greatest film ever.

Sir Ridley Scott got better with age. Actors and actresses said it. The perfect performances in ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER were lucky because he almost never talked to the actors and actresses. I prefer his later work. I love THELMA & LOUISE, GLADIATOR, BLACK HAWK DOWN, THE MARTIAN, AMERICAN GANGSTER, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN: DIRECTOR'S CUT, PROMETHEUS, THE COUNSELOR and ALIEN: COVENANT.

But did you liked 1492, White Squall, GI Jane, Hannibal, Matchstick Men, A Good Year, Body Of Lies, Robin Hood ? Because they weren't that good... And there is a fair amount of them...

I love almost all of them.

I only dislike ROBIN HOOD and G.I. JANE. Those 2 are his worst films ever.

I adore HANNIBAL. Very Underrated. I love 1492, WHITE SQUALL, MATCHSTICK MEN, A GOOD YEAR and BODY OF LIES. 1492 has Perfect Cinematography.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed