Am I alone ?

Started by Predator@Alien, Dec 06, 2017, 05:46:42 PM

Author
Am I alone ? (Read 15,842 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 25, 2017, 10:01:54 AM
Cool monsters out of a video game? I'm sure Giger would love that description.

The "Engineer" in the above artwork looks a lot less Alien than the Jockey does.  :P

And then there's this one, where he does look more humanoid.
I think the only thing we can't be sure of is his bottom half.

Scorpio

Scorpio

^And those are clearly spacesuits.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm still unsure about whatever point you're trying to make? That the Engineers looked more Alien? That the Space Jockey's looked silly?

Scorpio

Scorpio

I didn't say it, it was said on Furious Gods documentary, from what I remember; to have a skeleton walk around would look silly so they chose not to do that.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They did say that. But that doesn't mean they were right. We've seen plenty of interesting concepts of the Jockey's up and mobile that look fantastic.

Scorpio

Scorpio

All I want to see is that thing walking around, maybe the next one.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 25, 2017, 07:56:36 AM
Those aren't 'alien', just cool looking monsters like out of a video game.

Giger himself designed the Engineers back in 1977:

Been awhile since I've seen the Furious Gods documentary, but IIRC, it was Scott who insisted on the Engineers being humans in suits (against everyone else, basically). This picture might just be a coincidence?

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 25, 2017, 10:20:37 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 25, 2017, 10:01:54 AM
Cool monsters out of a video game? I'm sure Giger would love that description.

The "Engineer" in the above artwork looks a lot less Alien than the Jockey does.  :P

And then there's this one, where he does look more humanoid.
I think the only thing we can't be sure of is his bottom half.

https://alienseries.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/space-jockey-in-giger-hieroglypic.jpg
I love that artwork. It's important to realize that the notion that the space jockey is a strange """lovecraftian""" elephant-man-bear-pig isn't inherent to its portrayal in Alien. We simply didn't know what it was.

SM

SM

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 25, 2017, 06:29:40 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 25, 2017, 07:56:36 AM
Those aren't 'alien', just cool looking monsters like out of a video game.

Giger himself designed the Engineers back in 1977:

Been awhile since I've seen the Furious Gods documentary, but IIRC, it was Scott who insisted on the Engineers being humans in suits (against everyone else, basically). This picture might just be a coincidence?

Coincidence.

The Jockey was originally an extraterrestrial.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Nope.  Clearly a spacesuit.

And that pic I posted before can clearly be seen on the mural in Prometheus:

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 25, 2017, 10:17:07 PM
Nope.  Clearly a spacesuit.
Are you talking about in 'Alien', or in 'Prometheus'? Because the one in 'Alien' explicitly wasn't a spacesuit.

I still like the notion that the Engineers and the Space Jockey aren't the same thing. It's more thematically interesting, and there's ample evidence across both movies to support it.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

What a helluva a reveal that would be.

I've always said of the AVP franchise, if you're going to do a Predalien in an AVP flick, it should scare the Predator as much as a regular alien scares someone like Lambert. It should make them shit their pants.

Imagine that same line of thinking of a Jockey, towering over the last human survivor, confident of it's victory. It hears something from behind, tchk. Turns, and there's this TITAN standing there. The Jockey's mouth agap in terror as the SPACE JOCKEY towers over HIM. It's inhumane form rears back, striking out, crushing the Engineer's midsection like it's made of wet paper.

Scorpio

Scorpio

That wouldn't make any sense and would just be fan service.

The Jockey in the chair looks like bones because Giger's style is organic.  They also discuss this in Furious Gods.  The walls of the ship were made to look organic too.  This was changed in Prometheus to look more mechanical.

But the above painting by Giger is evidence they were supposed to be spacesuits.

Everyone was fooled thinking it is a skeleton because they don't know anything about Giger's art.  They think just because it looks like bones then it must be bones.

(Giger also worked on Prometheus too btw)

Highland

Highland

Sure it could have been a space suit. It wasn't a man inside a space suit though.....

Scorpio

Scorpio

Not a man, no.  A humanoid alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed