~ Giger Alien Head Comparison ~

Started by Joda, Jul 04, 2013, 02:57:37 PM

Author
~ Giger Alien Head Comparison ~ (Read 2,883 times)

Joda

Joda

Does anyone here know who is responsible for creating the original of the photo posted below? (I've added a new column on the right with the AMT, Revoltech, and Halcyon Aliens.) I'd really love to give them credit. And thank them profusely. They did a great job and it's a very good way to spot the differences in various re-creations of the Original Alien.

Thanks guys, and there's always room for improvement!  ;D

DerelictShip

Man, I never realized how clear the aliens dome was, must have been all that fog/mist they surrounded the head in the movie with

TITANOSAUR

Wow, its interesting looking at this, you can see with each attempt they still couldn't capture the correct poportions or size, however, the look is obviously there, the design is there. thats not to say any of them are bad, Not at all. they all look good. I guess my issue is that I'm an Accuratcy nut, anyways. these are still awesome figures. and the original is something noone can ever successfully and 100% duplicate.

Raiden

Raiden

They look the same to me as are are monster bug and cannon fodder

Joda

Joda

Quote from: TITANOSAUR on Jul 06, 2013, 11:50:22 AM
Wow, its interesting looking at this, you can see with each attempt they still couldn't capture the correct poportions or size, however, the look is obviously there, the design is there. thats not to say any of them are bad, Not at all. they all look good. I guess my issue is that I'm an Accuratcy nut, anyways. these are still awesome figures. and the original is something noone can ever successfully and 100% duplicate.

It's funny, isn't it. You wouldn't think it'd be so hard, but either the sculptors of these pieces aren't quite as fanatical as the fans, or there's just something about Giger's sculpt that's very, very hard to duplicate. But yeah, so many variations but none of them are entirely accurate. It's a bit fun to see all the different interpretations, though!

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

What is that Sega Alien? I'm familiar with all the others.

Sabres21768

I actually took several of those pics and the were later put together for the comparisons.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 06, 2013, 05:14:09 PM

The Sega Alien was originally a crane machine prize in Japan. It's actually a great piece.

Sexy Poot

Sexy Poot

The Kenner version looks most accurate to me. Anyone else think so?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jul 06, 2013, 06:19:24 PM
I actually took several of those pics and the were later put together for the comparisons.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 06, 2013, 05:14:09 PM

The Sega Alien was originally a crane machine prize in Japan. It's actually a great piece.

Wow, that's really kickass, especially for something out of a crane machine.

Also I noticed that the one labeled "Hasbro" (from the AvP 2-pack) is technically a Kenner figure as well, as Hasbro hadn't absorbed Kenner at that point.

Quote from: Sexy Poot on Jul 06, 2013, 08:40:31 PM
The Kenner version looks most accurate to me. Anyone else think so?
Ehhhh.... they all have their pros and cons. It's like they all nail one aspect, and screw up another. Like one might have the right jawline, or the right slope to the front of the dome, or the right placement of the pipes on the side of the head, or the right shoulder ridges, or the right teeth, but none of them have *everything*. If I were to pick one... I'd almost say the Medicom one (but even that one has problems).

Sexy Poot

Sexy Poot

Looking back I have to say that if the Sega mixed with the kenner itd be perfect.

Joda

Joda

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jul 06, 2013, 06:19:24 PM

Awesome! Partial thanks to you for your contributions, then!  ;D

As for the Kenner - it is one of the better ones, and one of the first, along with the MPC Model Kit. It's been said that Giger himself didn't think it was too bad - they managed to get the proportions and everything fairly correct.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I wasn't aware Giger had ever commented on any of the action figures or model kits.

Hudson

Hudson

That Alien is a CRANE MACHINE PRIZE!? Holy shit! We have plush basketballs as crane machine prizes in America...  :o

And wow...I never realized how garbage the McFarlane Alien is until looking at that picture.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed