Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,008 times)

Spidey3121

Quote from: Snake on May 28, 2017, 09:30:45 PM
Right! If Covenant is the final encore so be it. IMO, when I read some of hate-filled posts of the so-called fans here, comparing it to Resurrection and AVP:R (which were AWFUL!), we don't even deserve another film.

Well, time to 'look forward' to 'Lala Land 2', 'Fast & Furious 9: Tits or gtfo', 'Batman vs Hulk feat. Spiderman' and many more!

So-called fans? Just b/c we don't all share your blind affinity for this film doesn't make anyone less of a fan than you. Also, you're takes are just the worst. La La Land won multiple Oscars. The Fast & Furious franchise is a crowd pleaser. Fast Five is truly great. The MCU films haven't received one rotten score on RT.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 29, 2017, 02:10:54 AM
Right! If Covenant is the final encore so be it. IMO, when I read some of hate-filled posts of the so-called fans here, comparing it to Resurrection and AVP:R (which were AWFUL!), we don't even deserve another film.

Well, time to 'look forward' to 'Lala Land 2', 'Fast & Furious 9: Tits or gtfo', 'Batman vs Hulk feat. Spiderman' and many more!

So-called fans? Just b/c we don't all share your blind affinity for this film doesn't make anyone less of a fan than you. Also, you're takes are just the worst. La La Land won multiple Oscars. The Fast & Furious franchise is a crowd pleaser. Fast Five is truly great. The MCU films haven't received one rotten score on RT.

So?....

BLADE RUNNER was killed by Critics(like those in RT) in 1982. Critics(All of them) are people who NEVER worked in films.

Quote from: Denton Smalls on May 28, 2017, 05:37:47 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 28, 2017, 04:25:57 PM
Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 04:21:34 PM
Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on May 28, 2017, 04:03:32 PM
Good. The movie was terrible. Franchise needs another rest after two crap films back to back. I don't want a third film to finish this garbage, at this point I no longer give a damn about where the aliens came from anymore. Thanks, Ridley.

Yes, thanks Ridley for giving me two films better than the piss poor sequels. (Ok - Alien3 was decent too). Shame the audience is too juvenile to appreciate an expansion of the themes, or too daft to go out and see it for themselves. Such is life. At least the tiresome fan boys are dropping like flies.

I think it's pretty short sighted to blame it on the audience. There are some pretty bad problems in the movies. And alien is turning out to not be the tentpole franchise fox wanted it to be and thought it might be.

The box office results have been horrific to say the least.

I don't like using the abrupt term "this" to express agreement, but, well, this. ^^^

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2017, 05:05:28 PM
Honestly, I don't think Alienkamp would be any better at this point. I wonder if we're getting closer to that ever inevitable and just as unwanted reboot/remake.

Also - https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/28/box-office-alien-covenant-suffers-brutal-71-drop-as-guardians-2-tops-guardians/#67e2795e67e2

71%. Horrific. Do we think this will serve as a humbling experience to Scott, or is he just too old and established to truly care at this point?

Sir Ridley Scott is too old and established to care about this franchise. He is going to leave and Direct 5 other films.

He is already working in ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD with Kevin Spacey and Mark Wahlberg.

He is Directing THE CARTEL in January 2018.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Protozoid on May 29, 2017, 01:24:06 AM
If the aliens are detracting from the story Ridley wants to tell, that is a problem in itself.  Some people still want to see the xenomorphs, sure, but apparently most movie-goers want more out of a movie.

https://www.cinemascore.com/

This is the problem. American audiences largely found Baywatch and Pirates a better film; word of mouth just hasn't been very good. I enjoyed Alien: Covenant but it's by no means an Alien movie like the traditional ones, it's very much a sequel to Prometheus and I bet that's either really turning some people off or confusing them.

0321recon

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 29, 2017, 05:52:40 AM
it's very much a sequel to Prometheus and I bet that's either really turning some people off or confusing them.

It would had cleared some of the confusion by titling the film Paradise like it was originally in 2012 or Alien: Paradise Lost. Though, too late for that now.

Sway

Quote from: DestinyCaptain on May 29, 2017, 12:37:31 AM
Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 10:54:41 PM
Quote from: oduodu on May 28, 2017, 10:50:46 PM
But has he made a movie to please the fans? Are the fans pleased ?

Mostly, according to the fan poll.

I've been a fan since 79, I'm more than pleased with Covenant.

Well, there's the issue. I don't personally know any fans that like it. I also don't personally know any casual viewers that didn't think it wasn't downright stupid. That's about 10 people all together, fans and casuals combined.

This certainly not a scientific number by any stretch of the imagination. However, this is not a good thing in general.  I'm wondering if it's also not sign of where the fan base is.

If they really liked the movie, they'd see it repeatedly and they'd drag loved ones to see it. If casuals really liked it, they'd coax others to see it. The film is just not cutting it with people.

This observation is not a slight on anyone that likes it. I am genuinely glad that these people enjoyed it. It sux when you are exited to see a film and when you finally do, it disappoints you deeply. That's a downer.

I know a total of four people who've seen it, and all feel it was a fantastic film. So yeah, you're "ten friends" do not qualify as a scientific number.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 29, 2017, 02:10:54 AM

Fast and Furious 5 is a piece of shit specifically made to appeal to the less discerning  popcorn munchers...

If the aliens are detracting from the story Ridley wants to tell, that is a problem in itself.  Some people still want to see the xenomorphs, sure, but apparently most movie-goers want more out of a movie.

This is the problem. American audiences largely found Baywatch and Pirates a better film; word of mouth just hasn't been very good. I enjoyed Alien: Covenant but it's by no means an Alien movie like the traditional ones, it's very much a sequel to Prometheus and I bet that's either really turning some people off or confusing them.

I'm just not sure it's that type of movie. It's almost like an arthouse film... quite similar to Alien 3 in that respect. Downbeat, somber, dark. I don't think it's a surprise that audiences would prefer a vastly inferior POC or Baywatch movie over Alien Covenant, but that is by no means refelective of their relative technical merits; AC being the superior one.

900SL

The basic problem with Alien Covenant is that it tries to be all things, and ends up nothing. It fails to resolve issues left over from Prometheus, and instead rehashes old tropes from erarlier films. The more i think about it, the more disillusioned I am with Ridley Scott/The Studio for screwing the pooch on this one.

I'd love to know the back story.

juxtapose

. .baywatch made half of what covenant did on it's opening. .18 mil vs 36 mil. .comparing them in covenant's second weekend is not fair. .

Kane's other son

Kane's other son

Baywatch underperformed. Pirates underperformed in the US. It's a pretty horrible summer for tentpole movies so far. 

Fox overestimated the number of hardcore alien fans. They should have pushed the Prometheus angle, call the movie "Paradise" or something like that, and stick to the August release date.

900SL

Quote from: marrerom on May 28, 2017, 11:54:48 AM
Quote from: irn on May 28, 2017, 11:50:17 AM
What went wrong? Was the marketing focused too strongly towards fans rather than general audiences? Was word of mouth after the week-early European release a drag on the US performance?

It was stupidly released between gotg2 and pirates 5.

It was shit. Gore is not a big draw. The script and plot were borderline idiotic. It wasn't failures in marketing, the whole planet has been bombarded with advance hype. Stop trying to offload the blame elsewhere.

The fault lies with the Studio, and possibly the Director.

FallenDarkAngel

I can't believe that some people here are comparing Baywatch and AC. To think that Baywatch is in its first week while AC is already in its 2nd week. Unfair comparison.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Kane's other son on May 29, 2017, 07:50:26 AM
Fox overestimated the number of hardcore alien fans. They should have pushed the Prometheus angle, call the movie "Paradise" or something like that, and stick to the August release date.

The hardcore Alien fans turned out opening weekend. It didn't live up to the projections but a $15million+ opening day is a decent figure. But the fans are only going to carry a movie so far... Prometheus made over 40% of it's total domestic run in it's opening weekend. Lukewarm word of mouth knocked Prometheus' legs in the end. If you rename Alien: Covenant to  Prometheus 2 and it was met with the very reaction AC has received, I'd imagine it would experience the same results (Probably less because ALIEN will always carry the goodwill of Alien and Aliens)

Kane's other son

Alien and Aliens don't exist in a vacuum. In the next 30 years the franchise gave us the underperforming and (unfairly) maligned Alien 3, the underperforming and pretty much terrible Resurrection, a sub-par Paul W.S. Anderson B-movie and one of the worst pieces of shit slasher movies ever.

Alien is a tainted brand with a shrinking fan base. Fox's previous administration got that and distanced Prometheus from Alien. The new regime got cocky (and stupid listening to fanboys) and went back to the poisoned well for Covenant.

By the way, Prometheus was well-reviewed and liked in the real world.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Kane's other son on May 29, 2017, 09:08:03 AM
By the way, Prometheus was well-reviewed and liked in the real world.

Like I was saying though, it was front-loaded. Prometheus experienced a -73% first friday-to-friday drop like Covenant (obviously waiting on the actual damages) and shares the same dreaded "B" score card on https://www.cinemascore.com/ - the word of mouth among general audiences was real mixed. There is no way of telling if a straight-up Prometheus sequel would have been a success.

monkeylove

"'Pirates' Sinks 'Alien: Covenant' at the Box Office"

QuoteCovenant made an estimated $3 million on Friday, making it a whopping 80% drop from the $15 million the week prior. As Forbes notes, this puts it on track to be one of the ten biggest second-week drops of all time.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3439492/pirates-sink-alien-covenant-box-office/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed