Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 92,402 times)

Magegg

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 27, 2014, 06:37:07 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Jun 27, 2014, 06:35:43 PM
If it only recognizes the first movie, it's still not a reboot.

I never said it was a reboot in the first place.
Fine.

Take for example Superman Returns. It acknowledges I guess Superman I and Superman II only. Still a sequel. But it was also a (purposed) relaunch of the franchise.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 27, 2014, 06:38:20 PM
Take for example Superman Returns. It acknowledges I guess Superman I and Superman II only. Still a sequel. But it was also a (purposed) relaunch of the franchise.

I prefer to think of PREDATORS more to the Predator franchise what Halloween: H20 is to the Halloween franchise.

Magegg

I don't really understand the comparison but OK.

KiramidHead

Yeah, but Predators doesn't outright contradict the previous movies the way H20 did.

Spooky Baz

Quote from: Sully on Jun 27, 2014, 06:18:31 PM
This pedantic reboot definition has ran its course.  More than half of the thread is devoted to it.

It's a sequel.

I'd go further than that and say outright that it makes no fecking difference whatsoever. I challenge anyone to describe in detail what it would take to differentiate a reboot from a sequel.

As far as I can see, the only thing that connects Predator 2 to its predecessor is a small unnecessary recap of Dutch's adventures and a tiny shot of Anna. If you cut it, the story is completely unaffected. Same with Predators - if you remove one or two lines referring back to the original film, the film still stands.

If these changes had been made in the editing room, and some marketing bod had used the word "reboot", some of you lot would have been picketing Fox studios - despite the fact the films would be damned near identical.

Point is, there is no through-line with the Predator movies, so in this case a reboot = sequel.

Magegg

Quote from: Spooky Baz on Jun 27, 2014, 07:22:55 PMPoint is, there is no through-line with the Predator movies, so in this case a reboot = sequel.
More like sequel = stand-alone movie.

T Dog

Spooky Baz

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 27, 2014, 07:26:41 PM
Quote from: Spooky Baz on Jun 27, 2014, 07:22:55 PMPoint is, there is no through-line with the Predator movies, so in this case a reboot = sequel.
More like sequel = stand-alone movie.

Nah... more like what I actually said. But thanks.

Lemonade

Spooky Baz is right.

All right guys. From here on out, no more reboot/sequel controversy talk. It's getting pretty ridiculous and annoying, and it making this section of this great website unsavory to go on.

Instead, talk about what kinds of things you want in the inventive new Predator sequel.

Spooky Baz

I think I'd like to see a back-to-basics approach to the creature itself. It seemed to me that the producers took the cliched "bigger and better" approach to the sequels. You know what I mean?

Predator 2 production meeting:

"Hey guys, Arnie's opted out to do Terminator 2! What are we going to do to get asses on seats?"
"A Predator with a huge arsenal?"
"Knives and stabbing weapons?"
"Cool."

Predators meeting:

"Two words. Super. Predator."
"Yes boss."

They should really cut that crap out. We don't need spears or bigger, badder monsters to hold our attention. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 27, 2014, 08:23:50 PM
Instead, talk about what kinds of things you want in the inventive new Predator sequel.

Agreed.

Focus on one Predator, preferably a member of the original species. None of that Super Predator Bullshit. No dogs, no falcons.. Have this Predator be an exceptionally dangerous tracker who has trained his senses.

Obviously a new protagonist would be warranted, make said new protagonist the focal point of the movie. Little to references of previous encounters from the previous movies, but if Arnold has to be in the movie-- have him serve a cameo role as a mentor or an advisory liaison.

Set the movie back on Earth, there are many types of environments aside from the jungle, urban city, Antarctic and Mid-western town. You could do wonders with a desert setting in a place like the middle east. Or you could have something set in a mountain type of environment, or if you want to go even more unusual.. go subterranean.

And if it has to be an alien planet, then set the movie in the future where humans are trying to colonize an alien environment with a security force, or have a situation where off-world explorers or military (not Colonial Marines) crash land on an alien world that has it's own dangerous and indigenous life forms which are just as a threat to the humans as is the Predator.

Mike

I would like to see a sequel to Predator 1 2 and Predators tie it all together. Except for AVP.

Mike

BTW Super Predator is the code name for the different clan because they think they are Superior to the traditional clan. Robert has expressed that many times. They do look different to diffriensate them from the other ones. Because they think they are superior makes them want to be stronger and better killers than the classics. Which would explain why there not as tall, yet, from what we seen but there huge in muscle tone. The more derived name for these Preds is just Berserker Preds as they don't follow the honor code.

Magegg

Magegg

I want the river ghost to re-appear.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 27, 2014, 08:23:50 PM
Spooky Baz is right.

All right guys. From here on out, no more reboot/sequel controversy talk. It's getting pretty ridiculous and annoying, and it making this section of this great website unsavory to go on.

But then when people do say what they want you essentially tell them to shut up...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed