Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 92,400 times)

Space Sweeper

Quote from: 85 on Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-rebooting-predator-shane-black-714598

http://predatorpongleague.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/hawkins3.jpg

Quote"Black will write the treatment for the project, then will hand over scripting duties to Fred Dekker, his university chum with whom he wrote 1987's Monster Squad. Black will oversee the writing and is also attached to direct."

Spoonman101

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 25, 2014, 12:20:32 AM

Predator 2's ending and, to some extent, Predators (I liked the ideas of the hounds and stickman, and the concept of the planet, even the 'super Predators'-- the execution was a pretty lacking on most counts, but the ideas were very interesting in concept) did a pretty good job expanding that world, but I can't really imagine how much more they can

Yeah, what really is there to hate about Predators? It rehashed materials and had potential to be so much better? That's silly, its Predator, how much potential can it honestly have?  Why can't fans be happy that directors and writers are willing to put time and effort in these films and produce it for you.

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
Ok. Where did I say that the new predator film should be anything like a marvel movie? Do you always put words in people's mouths? That's like you saying I said predator 2 has the format of elm street 5.

Somewhere between you calling your father to tell him the good news and Terminator 2 box office

Spooky Baz

My first post here, so hello folks.

My attitude to this rather leftfield announcement is pretty positive. Black's reputation as an exceptional screenwriter is well-earned IMO - the man knows how to tell stories. I wasn't totally blown away by IM3 TBH, but I reckon that was always going to be a bit Black-lite given that Marvel no doubt impose a house-style (mouse-style?) on their output. Predator shouldn't have too many cares on that front I wouldn't have thought, and at least Black now has a few action setpieces under his belt.

I'm not too concerned about the reboot word being bandied about either; in real terms, what difference would it actually make? I guarantee they will not go out of their way to contradict what has gone before. Why would they? All this talk of reboots will just be marketing flummery brought about to distance this project from the sequel and spin-offs that are generally perceived as mediocre.

With that in mind, and the fact that they have brought Shane Black on board (and not Zack Snyder or Brett Ratner or whoever), makes me think that this is a statement of intent; that Fox recognise the reputation of the franchise has taken a bit of a dip of late, and to get people back on board, they need to produce a quality product. And then a cheap sequel directed by Brett Ratner.

I'm taking the fact that I read this news while watching Hawkins' death scene to be a good omen. Seriously, I'm a bit freaked out by how coincidental that actually, is considering I haven't watched Predator in ages.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 25, 2014, 12:46:43 AM
Yeah, what really is there to hate about Predators? It rehashed materials and had potential to be so much better? That's silly, its Predator, how much potential can it honestly have?  Why can't fans be happy that directors and writers are willing to put time and effort in these films and produce it for you.

That's not really how it works. There's money involved on both sides. They want our money. They should deliver something that will be worth the value of that money. Stan Winston always explained it the best way. You want to give the audience elements of the familiar, but also go beyond what was there in the original.

The biggest failing for Predators is that it's too much of the familiar and not enough of it's own ideas. The new ideas are just a little on the lackluster side in terms of their execution. One example, I think everybody pretty much feels this way on(not that I claim to speak for everyone, I know not everyone feels this way) would be the usage of the classic Predator. They made such a big deal about "the classic style Predator" returning, and it's there for about five minutes total, get's it's ass handed to it, and barely served any purpose. The fight scene had little creativity. We've never seen Predators fighting each other in one of the films. There was so much you could do with that alone. They hunt us with cunning and sadistic execution, but it amounted to a couple of animals bashing into each other for a couple minutes.

Just throwing out an idea, what if instead of the classic being released at the end, it had gotten free during the initial battle in the camp, and the movie suddenly became the story of the original predator, the super preds, and the humans in a three way battle for survival? The supers having to split their efforts to deal with both, and the humans playing the two Predator groups against each other? That would have been stepping further away from simply "group of tough guys fighting predators" the result also might give the Noland character a little more to do in the story also. At one point he recollects that he killed "two I think" what if those were the classic Predators hunting partners? Again, fleshing out the narrative and making things be less than just pieces of the plot to carry it forward. That's where Predators was weak. It was ultimately a 'well made' movie, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

RakaiThwei

Been reading on many sites, especially Bloody-Disgusting and Comicvine on the comments saying that this movie is likely going to be PG-13.. Seriously, what the f**k? The reboot was just announced today. There is no conclusive evidence that the movie is being aimed for a PG-13 rating, people. Calm yourselves down.

DJ Pu$$yface

DJ Pu$$yface

I'm okay with this.  ;D Don't be color by numbers though, something a little different. I'll just be happy to see Predator back on the big screen, this just came out of nowhere!

Aspie

I demand an explanation Fox Studios.

Inverse Effect

You know what they should do? Reboot the series with a new predator movie, but have no Predators in it. Kinda like prometheus ;p

MudButt

lupita nyong'o better have a role in this

Magegg

Quote from: MudButt on Jun 25, 2014, 03:43:17 AM
lupita nyong'o better have a role in this
As a Predatoress?

MudButt

no because they'll be in Africa and they need a native prisoner like in the first one

Magegg

Quote from: MudButt on Jun 25, 2014, 04:17:06 AM
no because they'll be in Africa and they need a native prisoner like in the first one
Is that announced?

MudButt

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 25, 2014, 04:22:33 AM
Quote from: MudButt on Jun 25, 2014, 04:17:06 AM
Is that announced?

in my mind yes

Magegg

Hope the movie will be called Predatorses.

Hubbs

Hubbs

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-rebooting-predator-shane-black-714598

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/06/iron-man-3s-shane-black-tapped-for-predator-reboot/

*Sigh!* OK OK, look I don't wanna come on here and moan like a bitch, I really don't, but yet again Hollywood gives me a reason.

Firstly...didn't Predator get rebooted already by R Rodriguez? yeah I know it was his version but lets be honest it was a reboot.

What is the point of this? really I mean it...what is the fudging point of rebooting one of the greatest flipping sci-fi horror action flicks ever made?! I don't care who is writing it, THERE IS NO POINT IN THIS ESCAPADE.

1. The AvP films were poor, why not reboot those and make them as they should of been, in other words for adults and not like a cheap videogame fight sequence. I'm sure there could be an awesome AvP film with some proper effort and decent input from the likes of Black. I'm totally all for a reboot of this franchise as it rocks...or could rock, it deserves another chance.

2. I'm still waiting on news for Predators 2, which as I already said in my view is a Predator reboot. I would like to see that franchise carry on for another movie.

3. Instead of doing this pointless reboot of a classic, why not make PREDATOR 3!!!!! For f*ck's sake I'm willing to bet everyone would much prefer a sequel to the original franchise.

Here's a thought, seeing as Arnie is still desperate to make everyone believe he is still young and badass why not offer him Predator 3. While we're at it lets get Glover back too, old man Dutch and old man Harrigan back to fight the Preds. Now wouldn't that be kickass eh, no need for a stupid reboot that will bomb, lets utilise Arnie while we still can and while he's up for it. Sounds like the perfect retro reboot sequel to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed