The Cocoon Sequence

Started by Darkness, Dec 14, 2006, 10:40:55 PM

Author
The Cocoon Sequence (Read 28,360 times)

VenomX

VenomX

Hmm well, I agree it's possible and would work something like that yes, but I still don't see it as being an overly simple process. The reason is it would have to adapt to so many forms of alien life if it were to be at all effective, and not just be targeted on human hosts. It's mostly this adaptability that clouds the issue for me I think.

Then again, that's of course the case with the facehuggers embryos as well, so I guess both are essentially equally far-fetched when you look at it more closely. And there's of course nothing that even says it has to work on all hosts either. Maybe they can only do it on life forms that are very similar to us, mammals etc, and we just happened to fall within the lucky range of being convertable/impregnatable. After all, they seem to be able to sit around and wait for a LONG time until a suitable host comes waddling along.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

I was about to make a thread about this, but decided to look and see if there was one first, glad I did. I never particularly liked that scene in the SE, but its there. It kinda fits in with the aliens aswell, that they can survive even without a queen. But why need a queen if they could make their own eggs? well clearly it takes a long time for that mutation to occour, so the alien is at risk during this time, as are those being turned into said eggs; so a queen increases production about 100 fold, or more.

So, my theory, is in the absense of a queen the alien has the ability to do this (well, thay always have, but in the absence they use it).

SM

SM

That's more or less the theory I've had for 20 years.  No Queen = Alien morphing host into egg which will produce a Queen.

Would like to see it incorporated into a future film (they almost used it in Alien3), but sadly I don't think it'll happen.  Be great to see bursters popping, maturing, then turning their former hosts into eggs.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Jan 30, 2007, 10:16:29 PM
That's more or less the theory I've had for 20 years.  No Queen = Alien morphing host into egg which will produce a Queen.

That's pretty much how I think of it too. But I had a more...unlikely theory XD and that was that Kane had come across a rare type of Alien, the one capable of transforming Eggs. Not too likely though.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Its possible, but I tend to keep it simple, the idea of multible strains and types of aliens just...just dont like it. but to each their own.

Snore

Snore

Was anyone freaked out by the look on Brett's face when the scene was cleaned up for the DE?

I mean, back when it was a mere scene, I could barely make out the finer details. But when it was cleaned up, Brett's eyes definitely stood out in a disturbing way.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

nope, never noticed, although Ill be sure to look for it when I watch next.

Meathead320

Meathead320

I too have been of the school of thought that; With no Queen present a lone adult will morph a host organism into a "super facehugger" or "Queen bearing" egg.

They may even make several of them, to guarantee survival of at least one. Survival of the species at all costs.

I know some feel it should be an egg for another adult warrior, but to me, it makes more sense that it would be Queen bearing.

I do not take into account that the Queen was not a concept then. Sure she came later, but she can still fit in with it nicely.

The way I look at it, all aliens are capable of creating the "spore" that grows into an egg by converting existing organic matter in the egg cells.

The Queen is a means of getting eggs in mass quantities.

I think all of the aliens contain the full amount of alien DNA, Queen and all, even in the regular adults.

The rest of the Queen's growth, what makes her develop into a Queen, and essential stops the regular adults from growing into Queens as well, may be as simple as something else is added to them during their egg development to ensure they become a normal adult.

Once in a while, perhaps randomly, or on purpose, the Queen will lay egg that have not been altered, and their phenotype it for another Queen.

When a regular alien makes an egg without the Queen being present, then the egg is guaranteed to be a Queen.

---------This idea actually loosely works with terrestrial ants and bees too. When the Queen dies the workers born to eggs layed after her death, will not be exposed to the Queen's royal jelly, and thus never sterilized, and will then lay eggs for unfertilized, Male bees or ants, so that the genes of that hive can continue by mating with newly hatched Queens-------

I know this is not exactly what I was explaining the Aliens to do, but it does parallel the single adults making Queen eggs idea.

This also means it would be very dumb to infiltrate a hive to just stop the infestation by killing the Queen. Maybe if she gets killed all the adults will scatter and all make new Queens elsewhere, next thing you know hives are popping up everywhere.

Kind of like going over the anthill with the lawnmower.

Bone Crusher

Bone Crusher

Its a waste to turn people into facehuggers should be full grown that way we could still have queen and everything is peachy ;D

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

well, the idea of spores being grown in a way that seems to require some sort of a victim as food, makes me wonder about how many hundreds of dead space jockey type creatures those spores represent the death of, if that was the case.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

This method would destroy twice as many people as the normal way would.

SM

SM

Why?

SiL

SiL

Good question. Just use the host of the burster and turn it into an egg.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

People seem to assume you need a living person for egg morphing.  I'm not really sure why, as Brett was almost certainly a kill.

SM

SM

Quite.

As I said previously.

About 15 months ago on this very page.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed