Poll: Which Alien origin theory do you prefer?

Started by happypred, Mar 16, 2008, 03:04:01 PM

Which Alien origin theory do you prefer?

Bioweapons designed by the Pilot/Jockey race
55 (64%)
Natural evolution on their homeworld (sort of like in Female War)
31 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author
Poll: Which Alien origin theory do you prefer? (Read 26,813 times)

stephen

So a blending of the two ideas?

The aliens have evolved naturally and the space jockey's tried to use them as a bioweapon much like Weyland Yutani tried to do.

And Mal - the theory that the space jockey's used the aliens as a bioweapon doesn't automatically point to another alien species. They could be using the aliens as a bioweapon against their own species.

Much like Weyland Yutani - they were trying to get the alien for their bioweapons division but they weren't fighting another alien species.

maledoro

Quote from: stephen on Apr 22, 2008, 11:17:56 PM
So a blending of the two ideas?

The aliens have evolved naturally and the space jockey's tried to use them as a bioweapon much like Weyland Yutani tried to do.
I guess I was brought up on the backstory which ended up in the Alien novelization where the Jockeys had discovered them on that world on a regular mission of exploration.

Quote from: stephen on Apr 22, 2008, 11:17:56 PM
And Mal - the theory that the space jockey's used the aliens as a bioweapon doesn't automatically point to another alien species. They could be using the aliens as a bioweapon against their own species.
No, it doesn't directly point into the direction of other species, but thanks to Dark Horse it sure got there in a hurry.
;)

stephen

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 22, 2008, 11:28:21 PM
I guess I was brought up on the backstory which ended up in the Alien novelization where the Jockeys had discovered them on that world on a regular mission of exploration.

That backstory never ever sat well with me at all.  If that was the case then there is absolutely no need for the space jockey.  The space jockey ends up being a big nothing with that backstory.

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 22, 2008, 11:28:21 PMNo, it doesn't directly point into the direction of other species, but thanks to Dark Horse it sure got there in a hurry. ;)

Yeah well, I don't consider it canon.

megachu17

ha, or maybe the jockys made them as pets and well, carnage insuedk, "here kitty, kitty..." ^_^

maledoro

Quote from: stephen on Apr 22, 2008, 11:32:18 PM
That backstory never ever sat well with me at all.  If that was the case then there is absolutely no need for the space jockey.  The space jockey ends up being a big nothing with that backstory.
Which was the intention all along. The Jockey wasn't created for prequels or sequels that involved it or its race. The story needed a reason for the Nostromo to land there. The Jockey was a visual bonus.

Quote from: stephen on Apr 22, 2008, 11:32:18 PM
Yeah well, I don't consider it canon.
I don't consider anything from the comics or video games to be canon. But, again, thanks to them, the Alien universe is no longer the isolated and claustrophobic place that Brandywine had invisioned. It's now being populated by other sentient beings. The crossover of the Preddies didn't help much, either.

happypred

Well in the AvP universe it's pretty routine for the predators to breed the aliens as prey, of course accidents happen but that's inevitable when dealing with organisms as deadly as xenomorphs...
If the predators can do it, I don't see why the Jockeys, an even more advanced race, couldn't have "harnessed" the aliens to some extent. In fact I like the "Jockeys as creators" theory best.

stephen

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 23, 2008, 02:08:25 AM
Which was the intention all along. The Jockey wasn't created for prequels or sequels that involved it or its race. The story needed a reason for the Nostromo to land there. The Jockey was a visual bonus.

This would still go against your idea that the alien universe would become too "star trekky" in that there's a whole bunch of alien species running around out there.

I still don't like that idea as a backstory.

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 23, 2008, 02:08:25 AMI don't consider anything from the comics or video games to be canon. But, again, thanks to them, the Alien universe is no longer the isolated and claustrophobic place that Brandywine had invisioned. It's now being populated by other sentient beings. The crossover of the Preddies didn't help much, either.

Yeah well, I can ignore those other things :)

maledoro

Quote from: stephen on Apr 23, 2008, 04:06:27 AM
This would still go against your idea that the alien universe would become too "star trekky" in that there's a whole bunch of alien species running around out there.
No shit.

I still don't like that idea as a backstory.
The idea that the derelict is nothing more than a plot device isn't a backstory. That was the producers' intention.

Yeah well, I can ignore those other things
That's fine, but the "Runner" and "Praetorian" crowd can't.

Private Hudson

Both, in a way. I always felt that the Jockeys were fighting some unknown race and made the aliens for weapons. Then, the careless Jockey Transporter crashed the ship onto LV 426, unleashing the xeno's onto the planet, thus making them evolve, and thrive on LV 426.

stephen

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 23, 2008, 10:06:52 AMNo shit.

So you don't like either?

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 23, 2008, 10:06:52 AMThe idea that the derelict is nothing more than a plot device isn't a backstory. That was the producers' intention.

Either way, I don't like it.

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 23, 2008, 10:06:52 AMThat's fine, but the "Runner" and "Praetorian" crowd can't.

Yeah well, let them.

maledoro

Quote from: Private Hudson on Apr 24, 2008, 01:44:23 AM
Both, in a way. I always felt that the Jockeys were fighting some unknown race and made the aliens for weapons. Then, the careless Jockey Transporter crashed the ship onto LV 426, unleashing the xeno's onto the planet, thus making them evolve, and thrive on LV 426.
I don't mind people having feelings and opinions, but I just wish that they would have something to base them on. There is no evidence that the Jockeys had created the aliens; that the ship had crashed; or even that the aliens had evolved. Nevermind that they had thrived on LV-426 in that scenario.

Quote from: stephen on Apr 24, 2008, 04:34:51 AM
How do you get that?

Whether you or I or anybody else likes it doesn't enter into it.

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 23, 2008, 10:06:52 AMThat's fine, but the "Runner" and "Praetorian" crowd can't.
Yeah well, let them.
"Let them"? Hell, I want them to ignore what's in the Dark Horse comics and video games.

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 24, 2008, 10:43:15 AM
Quote from: Private Hudson on Apr 24, 2008, 01:44:23 AM
I don't mind people having feelings and opinions, but I just wish that they would have something to base them on. There is no evidence that the Jockeys had created the aliens; that the ship had crashed; or even that the aliens had evolved. Nevermind that they had thrived on LV-426 in that scenario.

How do you get that?

Whether you or I or anybody else likes it doesn't enter into it.

Yeah well, let them.
"Let them"? Hell, I want them to ignore what's in the Dark Horse comics and video games.

Why? I can understand some of the comics are stupid but not all of them.

DiabloGuapo

Here it goes. I think the aliens are bio-weapons created by the Space Jockies. Just look at their designs, they both have that bio-mecanical look. They created them to wipe populations of entire world by spreading like a virus. They made them to be the perfect organism by being able to adapt to any environment and being superior to their hosts. Their entire body is designed for war. A strong exoskeleton, incredible strength and speed, highly acidic blood, razor sharp claws and diamond hard teeth, and a second mouth that is perfect for biting prey through the head. The problem is that they were too adaptable. The Space Jockies planned on them dieing out soon after killing their enemies, but they continued to survive by hibernating. What killed off the Space Jockies is when they used their own weapons against each other. With no way to control them or a way to stop the spreading, they were all killed.

Alienseseses

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 22, 2008, 06:28:33 PM
Quote from: Alienseseses on Apr 22, 2008, 02:20:53 PM
I don't think they lie on planets. I think it was like the Nostromo thing. They found the aliens in a crashed ship. Perhaps the jockies found them on another ship.
The derelict didn't look like it had crashed. Either way, if you choose nature (such as I do), they would have to originate on some planet.

1) It looked liek it crashed thousands of years ago and collected dust.
2) Maybe they started somewhere, but I don't think they have a home any more. They might be descendants of, like, the first sentient organism, or maybe, I don't know, they came from the very edge of the universe. They both sound stupid, but I want it to be creepier than just "Let's go blow up the alien homeworld, that will end everything" or "There's a big alien planet somewhere." No, they own the universe.

AvPvTerminator

AvPvTerminator

Here is one of mine:

I think the eggs in the derelict, the derelict itself, and the jockey are all part of each other. The derelict ship is actually the last phase in the xenomorph life cycle. When they've conquered an entire planet, and its one big hive, part of the hive grows into a derelict (eggs included). It would break off, and fly to a random planet (inhabited or not), thus spreading the seed.

The "ships" aren't always wish-bone shaped, like the one on Acheron. The shape doesn't matter.

How theses things can fly, I have one idea, but its a stretch. There was this one forum member (forget who) who was talking a while ago about how maybe the aliens can manipulate dark matter, letting them "float" for small distances, explaining their incomprehensible agility. (Scaling walls, ceilings, ect.) If individual aliens can float for small distances, the a derelict could soar. Maybe that's how. I really just don't know.

And the Jockie, again doesn't really fit in with the theory but I'll think of something.

Another point: If the jockie and derelict are one and the same, it makes sense for the Jalien to be friggin monstorous like it is in that one pic. (You know, that scene that never got filmed with Lamert and Kane and Ash walking beneath it?)

I got couple more, I'll post 'em later. Every ones bitchin at me to get off the comp.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed