David Fincher talks Alien 3 (briefly) in this month's issue of Empire Magazine

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Oct 07, 2023, 12:59:15 PM

Author
David Fincher talks Alien 3 (briefly) in this month's issue of Empire Magazine (Read 15,728 times)

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: SiL on Oct 12, 2023, 04:37:11 AMSure, it's very atmospheric. But it's not hard to see why most people would prefer to feel like something is actually happening.

Alien is rightfully considered the slowest of the films, but everything leading up to the chest burster, though taking its time, is a constantly unravelling mystery.

"Where are we? Why are we awake? What will we find? What is that dead alien? What's down that hole? What came out of the egg? What will happen to Kane now? Why is Ash so weird?"

We know all of the answers in Alien3 40 minutes before everyone else. It would've worked better - although been much more of a risk - if the Alien wasn't seen in any form until it grabbed Clemens. Then there'd at least be some sort of real tension.

As much as I love Alien 3, this is an issue that I actually do have with the film. The lack of mystery and build up. Imo, it probably would've been more interesting if the Alien came from the planet rather than the Sulaco.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I think it not appearing until Clemens dies, might be taking it over board, but I do think cutting every scene with the creature before and after the funeral until then would indeed be an inarguably vast improvement.

Despite some amazing looking stuff, in the Boggs and Rains attack scene, it is especially superfluous. I feel similarly about the death of Murphy but even more so.

But certainly I would sooner lose all of that than Clemens discovering Ripley on the beach, and the Assembly opening in general.

Do you keep Murphy looking at Spike or not in this case? Or the scene with Babe but remove the Facehugger shot? Or maybe keep both, create a situation where, you are left guessing which animal actually got impregnated until the funeral. The chestburster scene I would be most reluctant to lose. That and yes the Alien being captured subplot, even if it would be best to trim some scenes after that, particularly the one with Ripley and Dillon in the cell before Morse comes along you can lose entirely.

I am truthfully much more precious about all the additional little characters moments in the Special Edition than any of the big stuff aside from the alternate opening.

Spoiler
I also think we are better without Vincent's many scenes of characterisation and identification by David, painful but it's necessary.
[close]

xShadowFoxX

How much more interesting would it be if Boggs and Rain inadvertently found an Alien egg deep within the complex?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Not at all frankly, just confused, and the "with us all the way" just before Golic shows up, raving mad you lose which definitely installs a real sense of dread.

SM

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Oct 12, 2023, 07:29:03 AMHow much more interesting would it be if Boggs and Rain inadvertently found an Alien egg deep within the complex?

Would've sped things up because the characters would have proof there was an Alien running around rather than spending another 20 minutes telling Ripley to be quiet.

BlueMarsalis79

I much prefer your suggestion, by a mile.

xShadowFoxX

I don't know, because I really don't like the egg in the Sulaco because that's pretty contrived. And that sense of dread would still be there provided it's done correctly, because towards the end, it turns more comical and the lack of suspense does kind of grade on one.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I have no idea what you mean exactly, the suggestion means removing that scene as well, it being on board the Sulaco's not contrived it is totally plausible, the manner it's on board as we view it is the issue.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 12, 2023, 07:55:15 AMI have no idea what you mean exactly, his suggestion means removing that scene as well, it being on board the Sulaco's not contrived, the manner it's on board as we view it is the issue.

Oh I didn't read that part. My bad. I still don't like it on the Sulaco, regardless. Because watching Alien 3 right after Aliens.. I need a really good fansplaination for that.

BlueMarsalis79

It also really undermines the whole heroic self sacrifice thing if you find this creature everywhere you stumble.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

It's still undermined in the context of Alien Resurrection and any other Alien EU, whether you consider them canon, is up to you. I mean, I say that, and I'm still all for the heroic sacrifice, but there were so many ways that could've been circumvented...

Also gonna add.. really glad ACM isn't canon.

Now I'm just lamenting Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5, as ridiculous as that sounded.

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 12, 2023, 07:20:00 AMI think it not appearing until Clemens dies, might be taking it over board, but I do think cutting every scene with the creature before and after the funeral until then would indeed be an inarguably vast improvement.

Nope, yeet the bambi burster too. The film will be better for it, even if it is a brilliant scene.

The only hint I'd leave is Babe taken into the abattoir (without the reveal of the super facehugger) or Spike's facial wounds. That tells the audience why the Alien looks different. Babe would be better, as there's no obvious signs of an Alien, but Spike does garner more sympathy. Let the audience realise what happened later.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: SiL on Oct 12, 2023, 08:25:55 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 12, 2023, 07:20:00 AMI think it not appearing until Clemens dies, might be taking it over board, but I do think cutting every scene with the creature before and after the funeral until then would indeed be an inarguably vast improvement.

Nope, yeet the bambi burster too. The film will be better for it, even if it is a brilliant scene.

The only hint I'd leave is Babe taken into the abattoir (without the reveal of the super facehugger) or Spike's facial wounds. That tells the audience why the Alien looks different. Babe would be better, as there's no obvious signs of an Alien, but Spike does garner more sympathy. Let the audience realise what happened later.

I'm all for this.

SiL

I just got my hands on the 5.1 audio so I can finally clean the funeral scene up. Might even have a rough edit available if anyone wants to preview it by the end of the month.

xShadowFoxX

Well, now I'm just kind of imagining this pseudo murder mystery with a twist at the end, where Ripley thinks it might be an Alien but isn't quite sure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed