Started by BA79, Dec 02, 2016, 12:47:42 AM

Which do you prefer? A:TV or A:DC?

Aliens theatrical version
15 (31.9%)
Aliens director's cut
32 (68.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author
Aliens theatrical version vs Aliens: Director's cut (Read 12,664 times)

windebieste

That entire deleted scene carries a lot of weight as Ripley is about to enter the inquest.  She's normally a calm individual, but Burke's news of Amanda's death brings an additional emotional burden she is not prepared to deal with at that moment.

Ripley's outburst during the inquest is evident as anomalous to her personality and its the events that precede that scene are critical to understanding her behaviour.  She's more unhinged and unprepared for the trial with this information that had only been handed to her minutes prior to the inquest. 

This is important because Ripley was aware of what she was about to endure; but the news of her daughter's death completely undermined her otherwise steady composure in stressful situations. 

It's an important scene, as are all the out takes that have been restored to the Director's Cut.

-Windebieste.

SM

Considering the film worked perfectly without them I'm don't believe any are especially important.

They build on what is already present.  They don't add anything new.

windebieste

They add more than just plot elements.  They add context.  ...Ripley enters the inquest in an already distressed state and the result is not favourable for her.  ...we are given a brief peek into the lives of the colonists and learn how they first encounter the Alien.  We witness Newt's family in its entirety, including her brother who can surmise suffered a grisly demise  ...The aliens figure out a full frontal attack is not going to work.  They're smart, though.  So an alternate route through the ceiling space is used instead.

This is all value adding ways other than just a parred down plot.  These scenes all add additional meaning to the story by filling in gaps that were edited out of the Theatrical Cut. 

Take this into consideration then.  'ALIENS' works perfectly without the entire fight scene at the end.  Just have Ripley and co escape the nuclear detonation of the Atmosphere Processor, land and have them enter the hypersleep having just escaped a very close call on LV-426.  THE END.

Arguably, you could edit out Ripley's  Boss fight with the Queen in its entirety because that encounter does not affect the outcome or path of the story or character development in any way and doesn't change a thing if it was omitted.  I guess you would support its removal as well? 

-Windebieste.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 03, 2016, 02:30:52 AM
They add more than just plot elements.  They add context.  ...Ripley enters the inquest in an already distressed state and the result is not favourable for her.  ...we are given a brief peek into the lives of the colonists and learn how they first encounter the Alien.  We witness Newt's family in its entirety, including her brother who can surmise suffered a grisly demise  ...The aliens figure out a full frontal attack is not going to work.  They're smart, though.  So an alternate route through the ceiling space is used instead.

This is all value adding ways other than just a parred down plot.  These scenes all add additional meaning to the story by filling in gaps that were edited out of the Theatrical Cut. 

Take this into consideration then.  'ALIENS' works perfectly without the entire fight scene at the end.  Just have Ripley and co escape the nuclear detonation of the Atmosphere Processor, land and have them enter the hypersleep having just escaped a very close call on LV-426.  THE END.

Arguably, you could edit out Ripley's  Boss fight with the Queen in its entirety because that encounter does not affect the outcome or path of the story or character development in any way and doesn't change a thing if it was omitted.  I guess you would support its removal as well? 

-Windebieste.

You might have to change the ending a bit or people would wonder what happened to Bishop's bottom half.  :laugh:

Spoiler
Jones snuck aboard and did it.
[close]

windebieste

Possibly.  Could always go all 'George Lucas' on it and digitally edit it.   ;D  Besides I wouldn't edit out that scene because it is the Climax of the piece.  Nonetheless, it's still superfluous and disposable in terms of story telling. 

But the point I am illustrating is restoring those deleted scenes did add important details to the movie.  Notwithstanding the cuts don't actually change any narrative, sure, they aid in World Building (No.  I don't mean the WY variety.  lol.) and help to flesh out the universe the movie takes place in as much as other contextual relevancies.

It's not like the DC adds a dozen extra exterior shots of the Sulaco in orbit above LV-426.  Now, that would be useless as such an inclusion would not only offer nothing new to the story; but it delivers nothing in the way of character background or any additional context whatsoever.  Both of which are added in the DC with the inclusion of the deleted scenes. 

-Windebieste.

The Alien Predator

I agree, I really enjoyed the extra scenes. We get a really nice glimpse at colony life and how harsh the frontier is. Despite our advanced technology, this is still by no means Star Trek. It's a gritty worn and torn used future. It definitely gave us a bit of world building by showing us a bit more on what was established in Alien that it's just people trying to survive and earn a living.

I liked the extra scenes in Gateway, we get some more glimpses of the scenery as well as some extra stuff on Ripley. Sure, this stuff's not really needed, but it does add some more icing on the cake.

Could've done with some more Arcturian poontang though...  :P

Elmazalman

Anyone here know why Cameron didn't also add those deleted snippets from the Anthology Blu-Ray box set into the D.C.?

I know why the Burke cocoon scene never made it but the other stuff was decent.

SM

The Special Edition was his preferred version.

QuoteI really enjoyed the extra scenes

I enjoy them too.  But if the films works without them, they're entirely redundant.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Dec 03, 2016, 02:11:59 AMConsidering the film worked perfectly without them I'm don't believe any are especially important.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 02, 2016, 10:13:29 PMSome of the stuff it adds is kinda redundant...

Never denied that. Doesn't mean I can't prefer the film with them in.

Quote from: Elmazalman on Dec 03, 2016, 04:09:46 AMAnyone here know why Cameron didn't also add those deleted snippets from the Anthology Blu-Ray box set into the D.C.?

Most of the other stuff was really just single lines here and there. I really can't remember anything that would've added to the film by its being included.

Although it always makes me laugh how Spunkmeyer says, "I'm too old for this shit," a year before Danny Glover made it famous. Shane Black is obviously a hack :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

DC had the pre-Aliens colony scenes and the derelict scene which I enjoyed, but for the rest TC I prefer. Mostly because I can't stand the stock footage in the sentry scene

Elmazalman

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 03, 2016, 10:39:57 AM
Quote from: SM on Dec 03, 2016, 02:11:59 AMConsidering the film worked perfectly without them I'm don't believe any are especially important.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 02, 2016, 10:13:29 PMSome of the stuff it adds is kinda redundant...

Never denied that. Doesn't mean I can't prefer the film with them in.

Quote from: Elmazalman on Dec 03, 2016, 04:09:46 AMAnyone here know why Cameron didn't also add those deleted snippets from the Anthology Blu-Ray box set into the D.C.?

Most of the other stuff was really just single lines here and there. I really can't remember anything that would've added to the film by its being included.

Although it always makes me laugh how Spunkmeyer says, "I'm too old for this shit," a year before Danny Glover made it famous. Shane Black is obviously a hack :P
I like the extended moment in operations when you can hear the Aliens battering the defences.
Quote from: Omegamorph on Dec 03, 2016, 11:07:55 AM
DC had the pre-Aliens colony scenes and the derelict scene which I enjoyed, but for the rest TC I prefer. Mostly because I can't stand the stock footage in the sentry scene
I once did an edit of this scene as an experiment;I removed all the recycled hive Alien footage - it worked much better just hearing the inhuman shrieks without seeing the creatures.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Elmazalman on Dec 03, 2016, 11:42:19 AMI like the extended moment in operations when you can hear the Aliens battering the defences.

That's in the Special Edition. The bit that got snipped is when the battering ominously stops a little later on.

Elmazalman

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 03, 2016, 12:03:31 PM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Dec 03, 2016, 11:42:19 AMI like the extended moment in operations when you can hear the Aliens battering the defences.

That's in the Special Edition. The bit that got snipped is when the battering ominously stops a little later on.
I know.I wish they kept the whole sequence in - creepy moment.

SiL

Never even realised it wasn't in the TC.

I prefer the theatrical cut. I also prefer the T2 TC. There are moments in the extended editions I do like, but on the whole they just feel too stretched.

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Dec 03, 2016, 12:55:54 PM
Never even realised it wasn't in the TC.

I prefer the theatrical cut. I also prefer the T2 TC. There are moments in the extended editions I do like, but on the whole they just feel too stretched.
I like the extra bit where 'Wolfy' is seemingly decapitated - nasty!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed