Why is Alien: Resurrection hated so much?

Started by Magegg, Jan 06, 2013, 05:24:32 PM

Author
Why is Alien: Resurrection hated so much? (Read 29,052 times)

Samus007

Quote from: SM on Jan 07, 2013, 10:45:33 PM
Quote4) That dreaded basketball scene. Makes no damn sense, and is pointless.

It's an intro of the Betty crew to Ripley.

Quote5) Stupid ass Marines who make stupid ass decisions

Whom?

Quote9) The ladder scene after the water escape... Why in the world does the, up to this point bad ass black dude from CSI, decide to kill himself?!!? He got sprayed with acid a little bit, and then decides to cut his strap loose, give up on life, and die.

He couldn't support himself and was a liability to Viress and the group.  Which is made fairly obvious in the film.

Quote16) Why the shit did the Aliens eggs close again when grenades fell into them!?!? Did the egg think to itself, "Oh, my facehugger has returned to me, I better close back up!?!?"

Danger from grenades; lack of hosts; take your pick.

Quote18) The scene when Ripley rips out a RUBBER alien jaw... I mean, i know it's dead, but wtf!?!? In 3 previous movies it is pretty much established that the jaw is not a rubber tongue. Who knows, maybe the jaw is a mouth penis and gets turned on when it sees prey.

Gee, you think?

Danger from grenades? So, the eggs know what grenades are going to do to them? The eggs read a manual on that?

And "Gee, you think?" Think what? That its a soft tongue penis? Cause I dont want to think that. It was never like that in the previous films, ever. It was always a "steel rod" but in this movie it became a moving tongue. Example of that, now that I think about it, isn't just when the Alien is dead, but when it's playing mouth love with that annoying scientist guy (Wren) thru the glass.

As for that basketball scene, there could have been a zillion and one better ways to introduce Ripley to the crew of the Betty. The whole scene was just silly and poorly written.

As for Christie... his death scene was NOT "fairly obvious" as you say. It was stupid, and to back that claim up I give you this... http://www.cracked.com/article_19898_5-heroic-movie-deaths-that-didnE28099t-actually-help-anyone_p2.html

EJA

A: R is one of the reasons I hate Joss Whedon.

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: EJA on Jan 08, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

I used to feel that exact same way, but I started to get more respect for him after reading that A:R wasnt entirely his fault. Here is one of his quotes: "It wasn't a question of doing everything differently...it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong...They did everything wrong that they could possibly do...it wasn't so much that they'd changed the script; it's that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

That plus Firefly and The Avengers are great. (Buffy and Dollhouse are stupid though).

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

"I'm sorry sir, but eat my f**k!"

Whedon's great but that script was fairly awful.

ScardyFox

Quote from: Samus007 on Jan 08, 2013, 07:19:12 PM
it wasn't so much that they'd changed the script; it's that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

It's the same thing really. Who cares how it was delivered - the whole script was shit. I'd rather eat my own face, puke it in a cup and sip on it all night then ever watch that again.

Magegg

Magegg

Christie's death was great, and it was also one of the most realistic I watched.

Seriously, people tend to ignore something called pain gateway, maybe they thing if you're sprayed with acid on the face you will be OK, but IRL having that on your face would be painful enough to make you faint if you're not attended inmediately.

Christie had no more potential, it was clear he had to die that way, since he was a rogue and a ruffian, actually his death redeemed him since he kind of sacrificed himself when we all saw he was an outlaw with a questionable moral compass.

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 08, 2013, 06:24:07 PM

Its a ridiculous spoof. I cant present my points yet cause Im at work but Ill compile my short list explaining why this is the movie I hate the most of every movie out there later

Actually, I loved the directing style, it was filled with irony and all that. The spider shooting and all that, the odd-mannered scientist, was genius :D A very European/French sci-fi action flick, it felt so refreshing to give us that instead of just another dry and boring American film... But nonetheless, it still retained some of the American seriousness for the Ripley scenes, very well done IMO.

ScardyFox

In short pain can send you into a state of shock. I can explain it in detail if need be.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: EJA on Jan 08, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

I used to feel that exact same way, but I started to get more respect for him after reading that A:R wasnt entirely his fault. Here is one of his quotes: "It wasn't a question of doing everything differently...it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong...They did everything wrong that they could possibly do...it wasn't so much that they'd changed the script; it's that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

That plus Firefly and The Avengers are great. (Buffy and Dollhouse are stupid though).

I absolutely love Whedon. Firefly/Serenity, The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods, and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog are all amazing, and I really want to check out Dollhouse and Much Ado About Nothing. He is by far one of my favorite writers, and honestly one of my greatest inspirations in the film industry.

That being said, while I do enjoy Alien Resurrection, the film has quite a few problems, and regardless of whether or not the lines were said has he intended them to be said, his script was far from perfect  and he should receive at least part of the blame (though, to be fair, a perfect script would be quite hard given that he was tasked with resurrecting Ripley, something that should never have happened).

Predaker

The quality of A:R is just so subpar compared to the films that came before it. I don't have anything personal against Whedon or the actors, they are all good at what they do but overall this particular film was very disappointing to watch (especially as a fan of the original trilogy.)

EJA

EJA

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently...it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong...They did everything wrong that they could possibly do...it wasn't so much that they'd changed the script; it's that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It sounds like he's trying to blame others for what he created.

Incidentally, I used to like Whedon, mainly for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but then I realized that Buffy was a load of overrated crap. The only thing of his I can stand to watch now is The Avengers.

Magegg

A film can have worse production values than other, and still be better in different ways.

SM

QuoteDanger from grenades? So, the eggs know what grenades are going to do to them? The eggs read a manual on that?

If you don't like that explanation, then put it down to lack of hosts, like I said.

QuoteAnd "Gee, you think?" Think what? That its a soft tongue penis? Cause I dont want to think that.

Stiff shit?  People whine about the sexuality being taken out of the Alien - here's something that puts it front and centre again and we get "Whaaa - it was never like that before!!"  Gee, do you think it might have something to do with no one ever studying the inner jaw of a dead Alien before.

QuoteAs for Christie... his death scene was NOT "fairly obvious" as you say.

He gets spat in the face and loses his grip.  Vriess grabs the ladder, but can't support them both and the dead Alien, and is about to fall.  It's all there for those able to pay attention.

Everything else you've complained about is opinion which I can't argue with.

QuoteThe quality of A:R is just so subpar compared to the films that came before it.

I can't see how its any worse than Alien3.

Samus007

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2013, 10:25:25 PM
QuoteDanger from grenades? So, the eggs know what grenades are going to do to them? The eggs read a manual on that?

If you don't like that explanation, then put it down to lack of hosts, like I said.

QuoteAnd "Gee, you think?" Think what? That its a soft tongue penis? Cause I dont want to think that.

Stiff shit?  People whine about the sexuality being taken out of the Alien - here's something that puts it front and centre again and we get "Whaaa - it was never like that before!!"  Gee, do you think it might have something to do with no one ever studying the inner jaw of a dead Alien before.

QuoteAs for Christie... his death scene was NOT "fairly obvious" as you say.

He gets spat in the face and loses his grip.  Vriess grabs the ladder, but can't support them both and the dead Alien, and is about to fall.  It's all there for those able to pay attention.

Everything else you've complained about is opinion which I can't argue with.

QuoteThe quality of A:R is just so subpar compared to the films that came before it.

I can't see how its any worse than Alien3.

I'm not buying into the lack of hosts thing. But I get where you are coming from. I still hate it.

" Gee, do you think it might have something to do with no one ever studying the inner jaw of a dead Alien before." Well, like I said, the one in the window was not dead, and his jaw was waving around. --- And It's an opinion, my opinion, that it's lame.

That Alien hanging on to Christie was barely hanging on at all, just like what was pointed out in the article I linked you. Again, IMO, that scene is stupid.

SM

The jaw of the one in the cage was nothing like the floppy dead one Ripley pulled out.  At all.

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2013, 11:41:31 PM
The jaw of the one in the cage was nothing like the floppy dead one Ripley pulled out.  At all.

Dude, it was moving, from side to side. unlike any previous movie. I mean, yeah, it wasnt as floppy as the dead one, but it was moving around a lot more then the previous films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed