Alien3's Runner behaviour

Started by Valaquen, Jun 07, 2010, 07:12:30 PM

Author
Alien3's Runner behaviour (Read 9,068 times)

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2010, 02:02:09 AM
Simply my opinion that the Alien knowing about the Queen embryo prior to encountering Ripley is nonsense.

Because?

SM

SM

Because I don't see any way it could've known.  The hugger beamed a picture of Ripley into it's brain so it'd recognise who the host is?

Also because it doesn't need to know beforehand.  It found out all on it's own.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2010, 02:12:59 AM
Because I don't see any way it could've known.  The hugger beamed a picture of Ripley into it's brain so it'd recognise who the host is?

Also because it doesn't need to know beforehand.  It found out all on it's own.

Well how did the alien know it was inside her anyway?
How does a infant giraffe know how to stand up and run from predators?
Or how does a drone xenomorph know how to collect hosts for the queens eggs?

It could possibly be along those lines. It's born with it's goals set. The whole point is it can sense the queens presence, and therefore it gives a valid and somewhat fitting explanation to why it was killing people before it met Ripley, instead of being confused about the whole thing.

It's not being taught it's born with the natural desire to protect the queen no matter where that queen may be.

SM

SM

QuoteWell how did the alien know it was inside her anyway?

'Smelled' it the same way Ripley8 'smelled' the Alien inside Purvis.  Pheromones or something similar.

I just think what your suggesting unnecessarily complicates things.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2010, 02:29:21 AM
QuoteWell how did the alien know it was inside her anyway?

'Smelled' it the same way Ripley8 'smelled' the Alien inside Purvis.  Pheromones or something similar.

I just think what your suggesting unnecessarily complicates things.

Ripley8 could also sense the queen's presence.

SM

SM

Not really seeing the connection to the current topic.

That could easily be explained by her fragmented memories of Fiorina.  Or she could hear the Queen ultrasonically in later scenes.  Maybe the Fiorina Alien 'heard' the Queen inside Ripley rather than using pheromones.  Could be a number of things.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2010, 02:44:20 AM
Could be a number of things.

Exactly my point, why dismiss the fact the alien could have known about the queen's presence when it's a good reason for why it behaved the way it did before meeting Ripley? It didn't behave any different after their encounter, it's behaviour is a direct result of it's natural drive to protect it's future.

SM

SM

QuoteExactly my point, why dismiss the fact the alien could have known about the queen's presence when it's a good reason for why it behaved the way it did before meeting Ripley?

Because, quite simply, it doesn't need explanation.  The original Alien killed Brett on site.  It also later killed Parker and Lambert.  But not apparently, Dallas.  Go figure.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2010, 02:58:20 AM
QuoteExactly my point, why dismiss the fact the alien could have known about the queen's presence when it's a good reason for why it behaved the way it did before meeting Ripley?

Because, quite simply, it doesn't need explanation.  The original Alien killed Brett on site.  It also later killed Parker and Lambert.  But not apparently, Dallas.  Go figure.

That was a completely different series of events. There was no queen embryo to protect, that alien was thrown into a different situation completely alone.

SM

SM

Since I don't buy that the Alien knew of the Queen prior to meeting Ripley - it's exactly the same situtation until it DOES meet her.  After which an argument can be made it was dealing with threats.

And anyway, as I've said - twice - what was the Alien going to do with live hosts when there's no eggs?

Just to go back to this:
QuoteAnyway, Golic opens the toxic waste dump, he may or may not be killed, and some special effect runs out the door:

heh..

Ahem - in the Workprint - which supercedes the AC in the production timeline - Golic is killed by the Alien off screen.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

While I love Alien 3 theres no denying that the numerous rewrites and the team involved resulted in many logical problems and plotholes in the story and the actions of the creature too. Runner's behavior is one of them. Like aliens always did, the runner's/any alien's priority is to ensure the survival of the species. Even if there would be only 2 people around, it should still gather hosts for the queen. Not only for the purpose of ensuring the survival but also to have new warriors to protect the queen and the hive. The runner showed no intent to do any of that and didnt seem to care about anything else than eating.

Not to mention the prisoners werent the threat anyway. The excuse of the runner killing potential threat doesnt hold up because it would follow Ripley or stay close to her if that would be the case. And it doesnt seem like the prisoners are any threat for it. The prisoners are like lambs going to the slaughter and didnt show him any signs or indications that they would want to kill it untill a couple of deaths already. No one was even aware about its existence

SM

SM

QuoteWhile I love Alien 3 theres no denying that the numerous rewrites and the team involved resulted in many logical problems and plotholes in the story and the actions of the creature too.

The Alien was protrayed in the exact way Hill, Giler and Fincher wanted it to be portrayed.

QuoteEven if there would be only 2 people around, it should still gather hosts for the queen.

Four or five days without food or water being stuck to a wall isn't going to make for especially healthy hosts.

QuoteNot to mention the prisoners werent the threat anyway.

The prisoners are a potential threat to the Queen and her host.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2010, 07:16:45 AM

The Alien was protrayed in the exact way Hill, Giler and Fincher wanted it to be portrayed.

yes, which unfortunately wasnt a very plausible way considering theres no sense and logic behind its behavior. In addition to that its portrayed as a simple movie monster who just kills and eats.

QuoteEven if there would be only 2 people around, it should still gather hosts for the queen.

Four or five days without food or water being stuck to a wall isn't going to make for especially healthy hosts.

And yet others may come or they could leave and look for more life on Fury. There has to be some. They wouldnt even have to look that far and would find more hosts instantly - there seemed to be plenty of oxes there, and who knows what other animals. Doing that is better than just doing absolutely nothing and not even building a hive or take ANY actions to ensure the survival of the species

QuoteNot to mention the prisoners werent the threat anyway.

The prisoners are a potential threat to the Queen and her host.

Then why the runner didnt follow Ripley or at least stay close to her? besides, I dont think it was that stupid not to know that the people around her arent trying to kill her and are on her side

SiL

SiL

Even if the Alien was aware that the prisoners wouldn't threaten Ripley, they would still be a threat to any eggs the Queen would lay.

But think about it for a minute -- How many people does the Alien kill prior to knowing Ripley's got a Queen? Four. One is entirely explicable (It's young and in a vent and there's something looming over it) and we never see what it does with three of them.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2010, 08:34:59 AM
Even if the Alien was aware that the prisoners wouldn't threaten Ripley, they would still be a threat to any eggs the Queen would lay.

Very likely.

QuoteBut think about it for a minute -- How many people does the Alien kill prior to knowing Ripley's got a Queen? Four. One is entirely explicable (It's young and in a vent and there's something looming over it) and we never see what it does with three of them.
As you can see in the caps, their heads are almost blown off

These guys won't be hosts  :P Looking at the Runner's later behaviour with corpses, it likely eats them, or stores them for eating. Thing has a voracious appetite...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed