Alien3's Runner behaviour

Started by Valaquen, Jun 07, 2010, 07:12:30 PM

Author
Alien3's Runner behaviour (Read 9,069 times)

SM

SM

QuoteIn-universe, I guess we're going for it was a really aggressive creature.
Outwith the movie, we're going for it was a messy production.

No, outwith the movie they were going for really aggressive creature too.

Mus

Mus

Quote from:  #6.0If the Runner was not killing people, the movie would have been boring. So the Runner had to act unnaturally for film sake.

There wasn't constant slaughter in Alien either, nevertheless there was tension. Try fleshing out the characters and I might actually care when someone is in danger. When I watch 3, the only emotion their deaths may evoke is bloodlust. That makes it boring.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: #6.0 on Jun 10, 2010, 11:57:11 PM
If the Runner was not killing people, the movie would have been boring. So the Runner had to act unnaturally for film sake.  :-\
Uh, nobody is disputing that... For the most part, the aliens in all the films were killing or snatching up everyone they could.

Darkbladepred2.0

Darkbladepred2.0

Quote from: Mus on Jun 11, 2010, 11:43:57 AM
Quote from:  #6.0If the Runner was not killing people, the movie would have been boring. So the Runner had to act unnaturally for film sake.

There wasn't constant slaughter in Alien either, nevertheless there was tension. Try fleshing out the characters and I might actually care when someone is in danger. When I watch 3, the only emotion their deaths may evoke is bloodlust. That makes it boring.

I must actually agree with this, at least as far as to say most of the characters in A3 weren't really all that fleshed out, and the fact they were mostly bald and english didn't help distinguish them from one another. Dillon and Ripley were of course likable, but we knew Ripley was toast the moment we knew about the queen inside her. Not a lot of tension there.

Though I still stand by my previous statement that the direction and sound design and even cinematography of the film make it worth watching.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Mus on Jun 11, 2010, 11:43:57 AM

There wasn't constant slaughter in Alien either, nevertheless there was tension. Try fleshing out the characters and I might actually care when someone is in danger.

Agree about that part. The idea is that youre scared wheter alien;s going to get you. Wheter its killing you or cocooning you to be a dog meat later on doesnt make a difference. Like in the first two movies, youre just on the edge of your seat worrying for it not to get anyone. Having alien eat everything creates only problems, which we already discussed in detail in this thread. I thought that his lack of intelligence might be due to the fact that he came from a dog who is significantly less intelligent than a human being, but then again an alien is still an alien and basic instincts have nothing to do with intelligence. It knows it hasd to reproduce and do everything to ensure the survival of the species

SM

SM

Quotebut we knew Ripley was toast the moment we knew about the queen inside her. Not a lot of tension there.

Eh?  She's the lead character and therefore we assume she has script immunity.  So we assume she'll be able to get out of her predicament.  Which she nearly does.

As for fleshing out other characters - whom?  Dillon, Clemens and Aaron are to a degree.  The others don't need much fleshing out.  They only need to stand out - which they largely don't.

Darkbladepred2.0

Darkbladepred2.0

Maybe I'm the only one, but given how dark the film had been so far, I had very little hope that Ripley would survive such a predicament.

maledoro

maledoro

I have to agree with SM, as I had heard that Ripley was going to die in this film, but I had also suspected that it might not be so. After seeing in the cinema the "preview" that said that it was going to take place on Earth (and later learning it would not), I figured I would just disregard things I heard until I had actually watched the film. (Later, after hearing about the changes made before, during and after filming, I can see that the audience were not the only ones left in the dark as to what would happen!)

grands0nz0rz

grands0nz0rz

Quote from: St_Eddie on Jun 07, 2010, 09:27:59 PM

...the alien is a retard, plain and simple  :P

well its host was a dog. :P

(registered only to lurk around but couldn't resist this one. sorry.)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: grands0nz0rz on Jun 25, 2010, 11:18:39 AM
well its host was a dog. :P

(registered only to lurk around but couldn't resist this one. sorry.)
An Ox, dammit!  ;D I only watch the AC   :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

No duh,
This Ox alien is.

brennan4

brennan4

My theory as to why it had to kill everyone is it couldn't make cocoons (no dorsal pipes, which I think create cocoons. Bit of a stretch, I know.)

Major Alan Schaefer

Jumping in late here. I watched the film yesterday and its true the Runner did everyone it ran into, but from what we've seen that doesn't matter for the egg morphing process since Brett was dead when he was being turned into an egg. Now to get away from that use...I believe that in the first case of the people it killed was since it attacked large groups of people it was trying to remove threats rather than expand its hive. Once the Queen was known of the runner decided to kill everyone off to protect the Queen. I also agree with Sil when he was earlier saying that the Runner had no reason to keep the prisoners when they were more of a threat than an asset until the Queen was born and laying eggs.

p1nk81cd

p1nk81cd

The runner seems to have a very aggressive and brutal nature maybe due to it being born from a animal host instead of its usual human host 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed