When do you think 'Alien' will be remade?

Started by War Wager, Oct 21, 2008, 01:12:03 PM

When will Alien get a 21st centuary rape?

1 (2.9%)
3 (8.6%)
5 (14.3%)
2013 +
26 (74.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author
When do you think 'Alien' will be remade? (Read 16,785 times)

Carnal Calligraphy

Quote from: Xhan on Oct 22, 2008, 08:02:03 PM
Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Oct 22, 2008, 10:07:48 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 21, 2008, 11:04:06 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Oct 21, 2008, 09:14:59 PM
Oh, it'll get remade, and with a cast of 20 somethings that look like this:

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/texaschainsawmassacre_cast.jpg

OMG teh alienz r cumming aftir uz!
Is that from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake? Because to be fair that remake was actually pretty good. I watched the original and the remake back to back, and the remake holds up pretty well.
Another good remake is John Carpenter's 'The Thing'.

That said an 'Alien' remake would still be a horrible idea.

To be fair, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre had 20 somethings that didn't quite look like that, but were the 1970's equivalent to "that".

You're still rather likely to see a shift pertaining to perceived demographic representation and how that would affect monetary returns. It's a commercial product first and foremost, and Fox has been open and upfront that profitability comes before anything else, particularly in the last four years.

Oh I agree with that. I'm just trying to envision why there would be a crew of only 20 somethings mining mineral ore. They'll probably rewrite it so that they're going to an intergalactic rave or something.

Deathbearer

If that happened a part of my soul would die

B-Rad G

I hope they never remake it.

Nobody

Welcome to the club my new best friend

Vakarian

I Hope To Christ They Never Do A Remake  >:( :D

Foundationman2

Seriously, a remake wouldn't be bad. I'd like to see them expound on the whole Jockey thing. Maybe not give the origins, but show the ship crash and a space jockey's chest being tore open. Nothing revealing, but just giving a little bit more to the picture.

The only thing I see wrong is that if they made one, Weaver wouldn't be in it, so the whole line of movies would be screwed up. Big problem.

That Yellow Alien

It wouldn't matter. A remake is just that, a REMAKE. Nothing in it would count towards the past films.

SiL

Quote from: Foundationman2 on Oct 23, 2008, 08:49:45 PM
I'd like to see them expound on the whole Jockey thing. Maybe not give the origins, but show the ship crash and a space jockey's chest being tore open. Nothing revealing, but just giving a little bit more to the picture.
That's ... that's the definition of gratuitous. Why do we need to see it? It's not that hard to imagine in your head. Showing it wouldn't add anything.

SM

Wouldn't really be a re-make then either.

Xhan

re-imagining, or my personal favorite; re-inventing. oxys for morons.

SM

"Re-imagining" - I like this old thing, but it's like old and stuff, so I'll take the basic concept cos I'm incapable of forming an original thought, change the stuff I don't like and make squillions from the like minded.

Foundationman2

Quote from: SiL on Oct 23, 2008, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: Foundationman2 on Oct 23, 2008, 08:49:45 PM
I'd like to see them expound on the whole Jockey thing. Maybe not give the origins, but show the ship crash and a space jockey's chest being tore open. Nothing revealing, but just giving a little bit more to the picture.
That's ... that's the definition of gratuitous. Why do we need to see it? It's not that hard to imagine in your head. Showing it wouldn't add anything.

It wouldn't add anything, however it is a very important and pivotal part of the Alien franchise. If you made a civil war movie and left out the war part of it because you could "imagine it" in your head, would that be considered gratuitous to show the war action?

SM

The Jockey thing is neither important nor pivotal.

Alien is about a group of people trying to survive against a seemingly unstoppable creature.

It's about what's happening on the ship/ colony/ prison/ another ship.  The first three times we find out the heroes employer is working at cross purposes.

Revealing the origins of the Jockeys and how they came to be on LV-426 changes nothing.  There is no great monomyth saga.

Carnal Calligraphy

The mystification of the Space Jockey was one of the great Lovecraftian themes Alien implemented. The fear of the unknown. If you were to, for some reason, show the Jockey alive and being bursted, you would humanize them and that theme would be lost.

SM

Yup.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed