The Green Knight

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Feb 13, 2020, 03:59:17 PM

Author
The Green Knight (Read 5,100 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured.

Spoiler
The "vision" was the Last Temptation of Sir Gawain. He learns his lesson and accepts his potential death, so he may very well survive like in the poem.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

"Look, I'm just a king. I like being king. I love being king! Now it's clear you, Gawain, don't give a shit about being king. But what you do seem to care about is gigantic wandering bodies. And as I don't really have anything to contribute in the gigantic wandering body arena, I'm gonna go back to Camelot. If you don't mind."

nanison

nanison

I am highly interested in this but judging from the reviews this seems to be some high art film I will probably don't "get". Is there actually any action at all in here?
I don't mind slow films but if there is not going to be a good build up and payoff I might end up disappointed.
So to those who have seen it, is there action?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

It's not an action movie.

nanison

nanison

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 01, 2021, 07:11:33 PM
It's not an action movie.

Well yes I already figured that, it doesn't need to be. But it doesn't need to be endless dialogue either. :-D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

It's not really wall to wall dialogue, more atmosphere building and strange situations.

nanison

nanison

I will watch it eventually. I kind of enjoyed "a ghost story" too but I don't get much out of those kind of films.
Strange situations and atmosphere are good, still hopeful about the film

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Each "strange situation," in this case, ultimately boils down to a relatively simple good choice/bad choice morality test that helps to show Gawain for who he is and who he strives to be to the audience, boiling down to his final and most significant test at the end of his quest. I don't think it should be so dense that it turns off a great many people, but then, what do I know?

What I do know is that I want to see this again, and can't wait to own a copy. Crossing my fingers that it is packed with extras, because this is a world that I want to spend a lot more time in.

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1422287856714780681

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I went to see this at the local Alamo Drafthouse, and there was an intro to the movie by Lowery. He talked about his influences, including The Dark Crystal, and mentioned that he and the crew watched Age of Resistance religiously during production. :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Smart man, Age of Resistance is phenomenal. 8) Ralph Ineson and Alicia Vikander actually overlap between that and The Green Knight.

I know he also started conceptualizing the idea of doing a film about a knight on a quest (which eventually culminated in him adapting Sir Gawain and the Green Knight into this film) after finding his old childhood Willow action figures and setting them up in a sort of diorama in his yard. :D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yep, he also mentioned having to leave the theater early because the baby vomiting freaked him out too much as a kid. :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

The Green Knight will be screened online for one night only:

https://screeningroom.a24films.com/

Andrea90

Andrea90

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 10, 2021, 07:11:52 PM
The Green Knight will be screened online for one night only:

https://screeningroom.a24films.com/

When? I can't see it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Aug 18 at 9pm EST.

But it appears to be for US only?  :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed