My favorite bits of the game and some questions (SPOILERS)

Started by CrespiChickenStrips, Oct 10, 2014, 02:21:05 AM

Author
My favorite bits of the game and some questions (SPOILERS) (Read 1,721 times)

CrespiChickenStrips

With the behavior of the inhabitants, technology in disrepair, the lone deadly Alien that's a bit more of a hunter than the one in the first film, etc. did anybody else get a slight Alien3 vibe?  Pretty cool.

Who saw the Derelict coming?  Not this guy.  And how beautiful/convincingly rendered it was, bravo, seriously!  I was impressed with how authentically Giger-esque the "beacon" was.  I was genuinely in awe/uncomfortable being there.

I feel that the characters were barely developed.  This and the androids are my biggest gripes with the game.  That's the only thing the IGN review got right - the segment of the game full of androids is pretty frustrating and difficult for me to enjoy.

Also, as another thread mentioned, it's a bit of a cop out that there was just a random hive, with only one Alien brought aboard from the Anesidora.  The only explanation is the human egg transformation.  Where would a queen have even come from?  One facehugger, one host, one Alien from the Anesidora.  Regardless, stepping into the hive was the biggest "OH SHIT" pant-wetting moment of the game for me besides realizing that I was going to get to walk into the Derelict.

Why don't the androids leave you alone after blowing the reactor?  Wasn't that APOLLO's major malfunction?

Isn't it kinda funny how CA insisted the game only had one alien, but really it has like A BUNCH, and facehuggers!

I loved this game.  I might play it again very, very soon.

szkoki

they played it well :) it was a nice suprise for me to have more xeno. i really thought it will be a difficulty battle agains Samuels after killing the alien and thats that.

still dont get it whats up with the shotgun not and that other powerful handmade weapon not to harm the alien at all. oh well

Vrastal

Quote from: szkoki on Oct 10, 2014, 03:05:34 AM
they played it well :) it was a nice suprise for me to have more xeno. i really thought it will be a difficulty battle agains Samuels after killing the alien and thats that.

still dont get it whats up with the shotgun not and that other powerful handmade weapon not to harm the alien at all. oh well

I thought sam would be the end encounter, being a weyland yutani android and all. it was a nice change to see a different take on an android. I didnt expect more aliens, but im so happy they were there, and the derelict, so awesome.

im replaying it already

PsyKore

The androids became such a chore after a while. I liked everything about the game but the androids really brought down the experience at times, especially when you wanted to be progressing in the story.

robbritton

(I know the topic heading has SPOILER in it, but this post is SPOILERY, so that's twice you've been told!)

Having now finished the game my only real question is about the launch trailer! Did I miss the cutscene with this ship? Is it just The Torrens on approach? I kept waiting, thinking "I haven't seen that ship yet, someone else must be coming!" and then there was that play of light at the very, very end and I was sure it was coming, and nothing. Am I being unobservant and dense? I wouldn't put it past me!

Other than that I didn't mind. I figure the Hugger on the Anesidora jumped ship on Marlow's ambulance shuttle. If my chronology is correct, the adults were swarming out of the hive at the time, why not some Huggers too?

As for the hive, I was always happy with the idea that a solitary Alien can do eggmorphs, (or just lay little eggs that grow or something) until a Queen can be made, so it didn't worry me. If you want an even easier, in canon explanation, why couldn't the first Alien have molted into a Queen before the game starts? All it has to do is mature and then kidnap a couple of folks, web them, molt and start laying. Never is it stated as fact that the Alien stalking Ripley is the first one that was born. Why can't that one just be a scout from the already established hive? Just grabbing dudes and bringing them back to the bowels of the station. Also, why must it be the same Alien stalking Ripley throughout the game, for that matter? Could be a different one at different times! Ripley would never know! We just assume it's the same one! As far as the Queen goes, I don't think it matters that we don't see it - the Marines completely missed her in Aliens, after all!

Predatorium

I think Apollo rebooted after the purge or something, it was mentioned. Yeah the hive moment and the lv-426 reveals were insane. When I saw that nest man I lost it. So amazing, and so scary. I was like, looking at this chestbursted guy on the wall looking at the blood thinking "that blood looks fresh, perhaps the aliens haven't grown yet" I was just trying to calm myself. Then the facehuggers came oh my.. Best alien game eevvaaahh

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: robbritton on Oct 10, 2014, 10:10:37 AM

If you want an even easier, in canon explanation, why couldn't the first Alien have molted into a Queen before the game starts? All it has to do is mature and then kidnap a couple of folks, web them, molt and start laying. Never is it stated as fact that the Alien stalking Ripley is the first one that was born. Why can't that one just be a scout from the already established hive? Just grabbing dudes and bringing them back to the bowels of the station. Also, why must it be the same Alien stalking Ripley throughout the game, for that matter? Could be a different one at different times! Ripley would never know! We just assume it's the same one! As far as the Queen goes, I don't think it matters that we don't see it - the Marines completely missed her in Aliens, after all!

I floated a similar theory a while back on these very forums:

Quote from: The Eighth ProfessorWhat if this alien was in the beginning stages of morphing into a queen? Could it explain the legs, hunched over posture, large size and excessively long tail?

Although I was speculating that the [then singular Alien (as was very emphatically stated by the Creative Assembly folk)] might be in the process of transforming into a queen and that Amanda would need to #dealwithit before it's metamorphoses was complete.

Of course you raise some valid questions as to why this particular alien seems to have a crush on Amanda and why it is stalking her. It could probably be assumed that it was the same one as it apparently "learns" from the player's actions and because only one alien is ever seen at the same time until the hive level.

robbritton

The occasionally mooted 'hive mind all learning at once' thing could cover that, but I'll admit it's a stretch.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Also loved the big reveals, just amazing.

Spoiler
The derelict and hive both blew my mind completely, just did not see the hive coming at all.
[close]

The reason the androids are still hostile is APOLLO is on WY orders which are in place because there are Aliens about, Ripley trys to shut it down and it states there is still contamination in the reactor code. She goes there, find the nest, blows it, BUT aliens escape, so APOLLO still thinks there is a contamination everywhere, and hence the Joes are still hostile.

A couple of gripes are... well the shitty deaths of like every character.

Spoiler
First guy I thought was actually a good character, dead for Alien reveal... what a waste not to have him be in the hive!
[close]
The every other forgettable guy you mean gets munched.
Waites, at first I thought he survived? But I guess the Joes got him.
Random black dude who survives gets facehugged offscreen, again why not have him turn up a in a hive later or something?
Samueles was the biggest crappy death in the game, I was waiting for the bit where we would need to go back and reboot him to help us :-(
WY glasses girl "muahahah I'm evil" next scene "ugh I'm randomly killed"
The guy from the other ship with the tatoos, he had the right idea, I liked him... nope, bitch slapped and killed.

And to top it all off, Amanda floating off into space at the end.

Apart from that, well I loved every second.

ikarop

(I know the topic heading has SPOILER in it, but this post is SPOILERY, so that's twice you've been told!)

Having now finished the game my only real question is about the launch trailer! Did I miss the cutscene with this ship? Is it just The Torrens on approach? I kept waiting, thinking "I haven't seen that ship yet, someone else must be coming!" and then there was that play of light at the very, very end and I was sure it was coming, and nothing. Am I being unobservant and dense? I wouldn't put it past me!

Other than that I didn't mind. I figure the Hugger on the Anesidora jumped ship on Marlow's ambulance shuttle. If my chronology is correct, the adults were swarming out of the hive at the time, why not some Huggers too?

As for the hive, I was always happy with the idea that a solitary Alien can do eggmorphs, (or just lay little eggs that grow or something) until a Queen can be made, so it didn't worry me. If you want an even easier, in canon explanation, why couldn't the first Alien have molted into a Queen before the game starts? All it has to do is mature and then kidnap a couple of folks, web them, molt and start laying. Never is it stated as fact that the Alien stalking Ripley is the first one that was born. Why can't that one just be a scout from the already established hive? Just grabbing dudes and bringing them back to the bowels of the station. Also, why must it be the same Alien stalking Ripley throughout the game, for that matter? Could be a different one at different times! Ripley would never know! We just assume it's the same one! As far as the Queen goes, I don't think it matters that we don't see it - the Marines completely missed her in Aliens, after all!

It says Torrens in the ship's logo:

Effectz

I really hated fighting the androids,especially the ones in the rubber suits when you hit the powercore and nest.for me it was just boltgun to head,reload and repeat and it was super boring.But i really loved the lighting,sound and the atmosphere of that mission the lighting coming from the powercores looked amazing.

NickisSmart

Where do I begin? This game rocks. All there is to it. A lot less pretentious than Bioshock was. Actually difficult, but once you learn the ropes it's not impossible. I've definitely played harder games. But it's good. So very good.

Androids are straight outta a John Carpenter flick (so's the music). Dynamic music is wonderful. The new content like Seegsen and the ads on the walls expand the universe wonderfully. You reload your gun one bullet at a time. Just amazing stuff.

robbritton

Quote from: ikarop on Oct 10, 2014, 09:16:12 PM

It says Torrens in the ship's logo:

Haha! I am the world's greatest genius! Thank you, can't believe I missed that!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed