Why don't they make an Aliens game like this with the entire cast?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Sep 02, 2014, 01:13:15 PM

Author
Why don't they make an Aliens game like this with the entire cast? (Read 2,683 times)

LastSurvivor92

Something true to the movie. NOT like Colonial Marines but a game dedicated to Cameron's style, vision and design. A game that is heartpounding and truly frightening. Kind of like Isolation but on a much grander scale. I think a co-op experience would be cool too.
Would you be up for another Aliens game if Creative Assembly were to develop it?

PsyKore

I'm pretty demoralized for a good ALIENS game to ever come out, to be honest. At the moment I'm just counting on Isolation.

SM

After the voicework of the original cast in A:CM where the guy impersonating Bill Paxton sounded most like the film counterpart, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.  Plus you need to get a lot of likeness permissions.  And Carrie Henn is 38.  And Tip Tipping is dead.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Chronicle on Sep 02, 2014, 01:13:15 PMSomething true to the movie. NOT like Colonial Marines but a game dedicated to Cameron's style, vision and design. A game that is heartpounding and truly frightening. Kind of like Isolation but on a much grander scale. I think a co-op experience would be cool too.
Would you be up for another Aliens game if Creative Assembly were to develop it?

I'm pretty sure you just described exactly what ACM was supposed to be when they first made it.

But on topic, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you mean a remake of the film as a game? Because that wouldn't work, most of the film is just people standing around doing nothing much. If you're talking about making a new story, why would it have the film's cast in it?

gabgrave

I'm sure he means like the movie, in the style of a bunch of Marines dropping into a hot zone that they didn't know was hot till they were up shit creek. With proper squad interactions this time instead of just one guy hanging around and getting in the way. A proper squad based battle like the recent COD or MOH clones did with AI teammates actually supporting you.
If they could do it in the style of the first Bad Company story plot, with wisecracking and jokes galore (A Golden Dropship? They have a Dropship covered in Gold!?), that would be great fun. :D

HuDaFuK

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 03, 2014, 08:29:36 AMI'm sure he means like the movie, in the style of a bunch of Marines dropping into a hot zone that they didn't know was hot till they were up shit creek.

It was the fact he said "with the entire cast" that confused me.

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 03, 2014, 08:29:36 AMA proper squad based battle like the recent COD or MOH clones did with AI teammates actually supporting you.

Actually, COD'ing the game up was one of the worst things about ACM. I'd like like it to be as little like COD as possible. It's an Alien game, not Call of Duty run-and-gun.

gabgrave

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 03, 2014, 08:39:01 AM

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 03, 2014, 08:29:36 AMA proper squad based battle like the recent COD or MOH clones did with AI teammates actually supporting you.

Actually, COD'ing the game up was one of the worst things about ACM. I'd like like it to be as little like COD as possible. It's an Alien game, not Call of Duty run-and-gun.
Naw, I only meant the squad action part, which was done relatively well for the single-player missions in the later game. If you're referring to the shooting humans portion, I totally agree it should be shot dead.

Xenoscream

Squad based (with 4 very distinct classes) would be the way to go, and I believe that's what A:CM was sold as in the early days of development. Would be quite difficult to pull that off successfully though, which is no doubt why they abandoned the idea.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 03, 2014, 10:39:43 AMNaw, I only meant the squad action part, which was done relatively well for the single-player missions in the later game. If you're referring to the shooting humans portion, I totally agree it should be shot dead.

Even if you disregard the human enemies, the gameplay was still very COD, dumbed-down, run-and-gun in style. It was all point-and-shoot. The pointless weapon customisation also screamed of pandering to the COD crowd. I want an Alien game to feel unique, not like a COD rip-off with a new paint job.

Take Dead Space (the first one at least, not played the sequels). It had a much slower-paced gameplay style, yet it was far from boring or devoid of action. And it was scary as hell. That is easily the best Alien game I've ever played, and it wasn't even an Alien game.

gabgrave

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 03, 2014, 11:14:03 AM
Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 03, 2014, 10:39:43 AMNaw, I only meant the squad action part, which was done relatively well for the single-player missions in the later game. If you're referring to the shooting humans portion, I totally agree it should be shot dead.

Even if you disregard the human enemies, the gameplay was still very COD, dumbed-down, run-and-gun in style. It was all point-and-shoot. The pointless weapon customisation also screamed of pandering to the COD crowd. I want an Alien game to feel unique, not like a COD rip-off with a new paint job.

Take Dead Space (the first one at least, not played the sequels). It had a much slower-paced gameplay style, yet it was far from boring or devoid of action. And it was scary as hell. That is easily the best Alien game I've ever played, and it wasn't even an Alien game.

I agree with you, but it's time to let the ACM thing go man. No need to keep bringing it up. Everyone knows that it was stupidly done. You will note that no one else is bringing up anything about ACM game play.

The only point I made was that if there was a new game in the War on Aliens style, I hope it will include a good squad based mechanic for Marines. It would also be nice if we could have a sequence where suddenly shit loads of Dropships, APCs and Marines everywhere, with Col Kilgore making an appearance.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 03, 2014, 02:39:55 PMI agree with you, but it's time to let the ACM thing go man. No need to keep bringing it up. Everyone knows that it was stupidly done. You will note that no one else is bringing up anything about ACM game play.

I brought it up because you mentioned COD-style gameplay. I thought that was one of the biggest problems with the most recent Aliens game, which happens to be ACM. I don't really see how I'm meant to answer your post without mentioning it.

It's not like it's some ten year-old game that I'm still bitter about. It's simply the most recent example we have to compare.

gabgrave

gabgrave

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 03, 2014, 02:45:06 PM

I brought it up because you mentioned COD-style gameplay. I thought that was one of the biggest problems with the most recent Aliens game, which happens to be ACM. I don't really see how I'm meant to answer your post without mentioning it.

It's not like it's some ten year-old game that I'm still bitter about. It's simply the most recent example we have to compare.
I think you're having a mis-comprehension here, since I made it very clear in my posts that its only the squad play for those games, not the whole game play style, that I would like to see. Since we both agree that's not what we want, lets just drop any mention of those series then.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 03, 2014, 02:52:37 PMI think you're having a mis-comprehension here, since I made it very clear in my posts that its only the squad play for those games, not the whole game play style, that I would like to see. Let just drop any mention of those series then.

Do COD games even have squad-based gameplay? Admittedly I haven't played one since the first Black Ops, but none of those did.

gabgrave

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 03, 2014, 02:54:58 PM
Do COD games even have squad-based gameplay? Admittedly I haven't played one since the first Black Ops, but none of those did.
The recent Ghost and Battlefield 4 had this option where you look at the enemies and toggle your squad for supporting fire. I found those parts decently done, since they actively move to flank and attack the people you assign instead of just spraying from cover. It's simple fire assist mechanics, without needing the whole squad micro management thing. Still very run and gun though, I agree. Of course, there's the multiplayer experience too, but nothing worth mentioning that's different from the previous iterations.

SM

I always said if they were so desperate to revisit the locales and characters of Aliens - just make a game adaptation of the film. Similar to the old Leading Edge board game - you start with the hive ambush, but from there on you determine the outcome.  Whoever survives the ambush is available for the rest of the game, and you can do what you like when it comes to mounting defences, making counter attcks into the AP Station - whatever.  They could've even had levels on the Sulaco after you escape Hadley.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed