Origin of the Xenomorph

Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 02, 2018, 02:10:12 PM

If you could choose, how did the Xenomorph come to be?

Engineers created them
David created them
Space Jockeys or 'Alpha' Race created them
Yautja created them
Naturally occurring species originating from Xenomorph Prime
The cosmos manifesting itself as a universal wave of extinction to keep technologically advanced races in check
Author
Origin of the Xenomorph (Read 6,619 times)

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Perhaps it was degraded by AVPR and some elements of the prequel series but here's to hoping that new entries will only dignify the franchise.

Vertigo

Vertigo

My opinion, the origin should always be left mysterious, to keep the alien enigmatic and unknowable.

But, having an origin worked out in the canon's 'bible' for writers to work around without creating inconsistencies. This would hopefully avoid situations like Prometheus and Covenant, which seem to retcon what Alien presented (or at the very least massively subvert our understanding of it).

My favourite/pet origin? Naturally occurring species, co-opted by Jockeys and engineered into a planet pacification/terraforming tool (hence the resinous hive structure having a little similarity to the Jockeys' architecture, and why it alters atmospheric composition - by the time the aliens had conquered a planet and died off, it'd be ready for the Jockeys to move in).
Jockeys lose control of aliens after they acquire unwanted traits via the DNA reflex (eg. a second reproductive method, longer egg lifespan, resistance to egg suppression fields).

That way they're both a pinnacle of evolution and biological weapon. I also like the idea of the aliens being terraformers because it makes them a dark reflection of the atmosphere processor they occupy in Aliens.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Quote from: Vertigo on Oct 06, 2018, 09:45:45 AM
My opinion, the origin should always be left mysterious, to keep the alien enigmatic and unknowable.

But, having an origin worked out in the canon's 'bible' for writers to work around without creating inconsistencies. This would hopefully avoid situations like Prometheus and Covenant, which seem to retcon what Alien presented (or at the very least massively subvert our understanding of it).

My favourite/pet origin? Naturally occurring species, co-opted by Jockeys and engineered into a planet pacification/terraforming tool (hence the resinous hive structure having a little similarity to the Jockeys' architecture, and why it alters atmospheric composition - by the time the aliens had conquered a planet and died off, it'd be ready for the Jockeys to move in).
Jockeys lose control of aliens after they acquire unwanted traits via the DNA reflex (eg. a second reproductive method, longer egg lifespan, resistance to egg suppression fields).

That way they're both a pinnacle of evolution and biological weapon. I also like the idea of the aliens being terraformers because it makes them a dark reflection of the atmosphere processor they occupy in Aliens.

It would probably be for the best to leave it a mystery I agree. A canon 'bible' definitely would be a good idea as well but instead it's probably just Fox telling writers to put certain things into the stories.

That's an interesting theory, so would you say the Space Jockeys genetically altered Xenomorphs to prepare worlds for colonization and then created the Engineers on some of these worlds? Then the Engineers synthesized the black pathogen from Xenomorphs and with a form of this, combined with their own DNA, seeded Earth and maybe other planets with life.

But I don't see Xenomorphs conquering a planet and then just dying off. They would lie dormant until found. Or perhaps when a world is completely overrun and covered in Hive structures there's a next step to the life cycle that we haven't yet seen?

The Old One

The Old One

Brethren Moons?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The Old One

The Old One

As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say "Dats De joke."

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 07, 2018, 05:08:03 AM
That's an interesting theory, so would you say the Space Jockeys genetically altered Xenomorphs to prepare worlds for colonization and then created the Engineers on some of these worlds? Then the Engineers synthesized the black pathogen from Xenomorphs and with a form of this, combined with their own DNA, seeded Earth and maybe other planets with life.

But I don't see Xenomorphs conquering a planet and then just dying off. They would lie dormant until found. Or perhaps when a world is completely overrun and covered in Hive structures there's a next step to the life cycle that we haven't yet seen?

Cheers! The idea is that they were originally intended to be short-lived, so once they'd run out of hosts, after a few years they'd just leave behind a biomechanoid landscape devoid of any potentially threatening life. But somewhere along the way, they consumed a host species which gave them new traits that interfered with this cycle, such as the ability to lie dormant or increased longevity of the eggs.

(I'd been thinking that they could have originally reproduced by eggmorphing, with each generation being a genetic clone of the last one, but they acquired the Queen dynamic from an insect-like host. The Queen's real value being that it can create batches of eggs with genetic variation, making them evolving creatures again rather than the static genotype that the Jockeys engineered. This would explain why they have two reproduction methods and why the aliens' design changes in every film.)

I hadn't really been thinking about the Engineers, but your idea seems like it reconciles Prometheus pretty neatly.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 07, 2018, 07:20:06 AM
As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say "Dats De joke."
That's Rainier Wolfcastle's line!

The Old One

The Old One

@Vertigo

You're describing the differences between the Neomorph and Alien in your theory I'd argue.

The Alien is the Neomorph but sustainable and superior.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

It seems that there are a lot of people on here that are prominently comic fans and enjoy the origin that is inferred in them. Not that I don't love the comics but I'm still unsure on how I feel about this certain origin explanation.

I also remember another naturally occurring theory, that some Yautja believe, though I cannot remember in which piece of media it pops up in. But they believe that Xenomorphs appeared/evolved on multiple planets simultaneously. This may be related to their belief of the "Black Warrior - the Yautja representation of the Grim Reaper. It is seen as an eternal adversary to any Predator, but it is also seen with great respect among the Yautja society and it guides the honored Yautja to their version of heaven".

SiL

SiL

That's mentioned in AvP War. Machiko says it, then says it's bullshit and just hides the fact the Predators are largely responsible for spreading them through the galaxy.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2018, 01:38:01 PM
That's mentioned in AvP War. Machiko says it, then says it's bullshit and just hides the fact the Predators are largely responsible for spreading them through the galaxy.

Novelization or does it get a mention in the comic as well?

judge death

judge death

David can be counted out from what we seen in the novels and also in the alien movies and predator movies.
My explanation and vision:

In Prometheus we already see xenomorph like creatures worshipped by the engineers and from the murals its pretty clear the xenomorph already existed long time ago and that the black goo or Xenomroph virus as I see it is over 2000 years old.
In covenant David found designs and also xenomroph eggs that he started to reverse engineer and came up with his own kind of xenomorph after much testing and killing the colony of that planet, suing them as testing ground for his experiments. The species there was a creation of the engineers who they saw as a succesfull creation hence living in paradise, which David turned into hell.

The eggs we see in the movie are different compared to xeno eggs, they are shaped differently and colored differently if you check, rather than round eggs they are oval like.

The facehuggers move faster and impregnates their victims way faster, pretty much only a touch is enough apparently, xenomorphs needs 16-18 hours to impregnate the host.

The adult xenomorph is less biomechanic and more organic and thinner legs and arms and its pikes on its back is shaped differently and not to mention it behaves way different than the original xenomorphs and way dumber and much more aggressive, hell one tried to attack a robot arm, thinking its a living thing..... Also it crawls more on 4 legs than walking as big chap did.
Dont get me started on what we learn in the games and comics where its confirmed xenomorphs existed long before David tried to make them.

In predator 2 which is canon we have a xenomorph way before Coventant and also in the AVP, although some see it as a spinnoff but to me all alien/predator materials is canon, making it hard to fit everything together but its possible.
In the latest the predator which is canon as well we have a alien tail and confirmation predator 2 happened, more interesting is we also learn:
The predator species is made by the engineers as well, in the movie the yautja have exact same dna as humans and after all they do have the same build as a human, bipedal and human shaped. We humans have the same dna as the engineers and we know the engineers traveled all around the universe creating life, some successful species and some they marked for extinction.

My vision of the alien origin:
I agree with other fans and angry video game nerd that the derelight spaceship was on its way to some other planet and use the eggs as a weapon against some other creature we havent seen, this would expand the lore and its universe and recreate the mystery of them. Ridley scott himself said that the ships cargo, the eggs was its weapons.
To me it was the space jockeys we saw in the derelight space ship, a creature that is far older than the engineers who see them as their gods and try to look like them, it would explain the height and size differences and why their tech is so different, and why the space jockey have eyes and tounge and teeth visible and is clearly a fossil which Giger confirmed it to be.
The engineers used dna from the xenomorph to create their black goo/alien virus and also travels around the universe seeding planets, some planets where they see the creatures as worthy, will let them live in paradise like style with roman/egyptian looking architecture with a ship or docking station watching over them. Why we see the population of that colony on covenant waving and welcoming the juggernaut ship in the flashback.

In my vision the space jockeys died out a long time ago, they and their ships were biological beings, the ships alive and they grew like plants for their purpose, something which is alien to us and way different compared to the engineers who are too human for my taste. The space jockey in alien then did grow out in the chair as its role was to be the pilot.
The engineers are the space jockeys creation and looks up to them so much they design their ships and costumes to look like their creators. Trying to go in the same footsteps and create life on planets and xenomorph like creations, they see the xenomorph as another god, maybe as their devil?
They are far from excinct and as Ridley say will be back in the next movie, have to see what David has planned for them.
They however created us humans and the yautja, most likely other species as well.

End of my rant but this would expand the alien universe a ton and restore the mystery of it and where the xenomrophs comes from and fix problems with prometheus and covenant.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

But didn't Ridley Scott confirm that David did indeed create the original xenomorph?

judge death

judge death

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 23, 2018, 07:02:38 PM
The EU is inconsequential. Although I appreciate the interpretation of the Alien, SJ & Prometheus' "Engineers" as separate entities.

Alien, Predator and AVP- separate licenses. Not beholden to each other.

If David "recreated" the Alien, he did it without awareness that it had been created/found before.

The Eggs and Facehugger are purely aesthetic improvements, functionally
nothing contradictory if the Facehuggers remain on people's face for pleasure, not function.
Well from the movie and novel and other indications he did know about it and was attempting at recreating it for his own purpose, after all its the perfect organism.

I would disagree about the different look have no meaning and is the same xenomorph, would be like to say a zebra is the same thing as a horse. A different race or breed of xenomorph or as I suspect Davids first prototype and will use the time on covenant to perfect it. They like I said breed faster and differently and is way dumber as adults as well and have different look and movement.

What ridley say I wouldnt take as written in stone he changes his mind all the time, heck in 2003 he said they were the space jockeys ships weapons and the derelight spaceship was on its way for a bombing run, then you have Camerons vision and the other movies, and then the comics. David created his own version of the xenomorph which Ridleys word could mean but the original creator nope, the novel also says differently.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed