Prometheus : The Art of the Film (book)

Started by ThisBethesdaSea, Jun 05, 2012, 02:30:54 AM

Author
Prometheus : The Art of the Film (book) (Read 77,618 times)

Zenzucht

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 05, 2012, 04:09:01 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 05, 2012, 02:48:41 AM
unused concept art...

Was there any confirmation that Ridley didnt use Giger's concept art?

Even for Giger-class artist, not all stuff is used.. In almost every movie.

Xenomorphine

Giger wasn't hired to do creature designs, apparently. He wouldn't have been the one to do the concept art for them.

Valaquen

If Giger did anything it was (quite limited) consulting, and he designed 4-5 murals for the film (we see one or two?)

theiss2003

Honestly,
with the obvious poor and completely disappointing creature design in mind (the "proto-alien"-whatever-this-abomination-should-be), just thinking about to put the two words "Prometheus" and "Art" into one and the same sentence should be treated like an act of crime!  >:(
Period.

Zenzucht

Quote from: theiss2003 on Jun 05, 2012, 06:49:59 PM
Honestly,
with the obvious poor and completely disappointing creature design in mind (the "proto-alien"-whatever-this-abomination-should-be), just thinking about to put the two words "Prometheus" and "Art" into one and the same sentence should be treated like an act of crime!  >:(
Period.

Old Ridley should have hired you instead, right?

Blacklabel

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 05, 2012, 06:14:50 PM
If Giger did anything it was (quite limited) consulting, and he designed 4-5 murals for the film (we see one or two?)

What's the source for this? I vaguely remember an interview in wich Ridley said that Giger was working on murals ... but i got the impression that "Rids" simply didnt want to reveal Giger was working on other stuff too.

We'll see.

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 05, 2012, 06:14:50 PM

The limited use of Giger in the film was quite disappointing.  The Mural's aren't really shown in any kind of significant way, they are essentially throwaway.  As for the set, they literally took the "Bio"  out of "Biomechanical".

The only suitably Giger-esque imagery was when the Engineer's cryopod opened up.  The image of this being, integrated with the suit, definitley gave off a strong Gigerian vibe.

I truly hope that Giger's minimal involvement with the picture had nothing to do with refusing to be a "subordinate" to Arthur Max.  If the rumours were true, and there was a fallout, Hollywood can kiss goodbye to Giger.  Again...

Blacklabel

Yeah what was  all that shit about Arthur Max and Giger having a falling out?

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 05, 2012, 07:27:24 PM

Rumour has it that Arthur Max wanted Giger, essentially on the payroll.  Working along side Huante, Page etc. but under Max's supervision.  Its his Art Department afterall.  But Giger is his own artist, works the way he wants to.

Its probably all bullshit.  Giger probably only had a limited window available, Ridley gave him a call, payed him as a "consultant" for a few pieces of work.  End of.

theiss2003

Quote from: Zenzucht on Jun 05, 2012, 06:55:09 PM
Quote from: theiss2003 on Jun 05, 2012, 06:49:59 PM
Honestly,
Period.

Old Ridley should have hired you instead, right?

No. Never said that and never meant that!

Space Sweeper

Quote from: St_Eddie on Jun 05, 2012, 03:50:54 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 05, 2012, 04:33:28 AM
That's what I'm looking forward to most; I'm going to go insane comparing notes on those things.

Space Sweeper, the appalling grammar withing your signature makes me weep!

It should read as "Wishes cannot always come true", not "Wish is cannot always come true"!
Good Christ, sir, have you no idea why I quoted it?

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 05, 2012, 07:31:47 PM
Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 05, 2012, 07:27:24 PM

Rumour has it that Arthur Max wanted Giger, essentially on the payroll.  Working along side Huante, Page etc. but under Max's supervision.  Its his Art Department afterall.  But Giger is his own artist, works the way he wants to.

Its probably all bullshit.  Giger probably only had a limited window available, Ridley gave him a call, payed him as a "consultant" for a few pieces of work.  End of.

I can totally believe that other parties wanted the lion's share of credit on the film over Giger.  Jockeying for position is not new to this franchise, or to Hollywood; it dates back to the first film.

That being said, given Giger's advanced years I can also easily believe it's bullshit and just easy grist for the disgruntled fan mill.  But I've heard it from more than one source elsewhere before, and Valaquen's always struck me as a level-headed guy, so for the moment I assume there's a grain of truth.

ripley161

ripley161

http://www.trictrac.net/jeux/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1591422

Stumbed across this . Pics from the book !? I think French but a few rather interesting pictures  :). SPOILERS

orchidal

orchidal

Damn...awesome link, man.

Does Fifield really go through those different forms?
Or is this all scrapped conceptual materials?

Zenzucht

Quote from: ripley161 on Jun 06, 2012, 02:33:18 PM
http://www.trictrac.net/jeux/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1591422

Stumbed across this . Pics from the book !? I think French but a few rather interesting pictures  :). SPOILERS

I wish somebody said to Fifield: "You look like shit!"... It always makes me laugh, when somebody says it :D

Anyway, that stuff looks pretty disturbing..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed