NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 854,543 times)

windebieste

windebieste

Ah.  Completely agree with the Fun element.  You got me there.  My concern is the whole OCD component that also appears to accompany the phenomenon as well.  I know when I have a few $$$ in hand that I am happy to burn, it doesn't get spent on beer or pizza - I'm straight onto Ebay to see what I can pick up (sometimes) for cheap. 

There's nothing quite like the buzz of having a new action figure enter your life - regardless of whether it's the first one - or the fiftieth - of that particular sample.  New or used.  Rare or this month's mass market release.  It doesn't seem to matter.

I will admit it.  The whole army building thing is very weird.  One figure just isn't enough and I KNOW what that feels like; but I have trouble explaining the passion to outsiders, people who just look at me weird when they see my collection of weird toys and strange stuff. 

20x 1979 Kenner Alien action figures.  About half of all that I own.  That's also not including the Tsukuda, Halcyon and Gentle Giant derivations of the figure also in my possession.

Fun is the only real justification; more so it's the only one you need!  That and an understanding and appreciation of the weird OCD that fans generally experience to varying degrees.  People around here don't mind at all.  Other places understand as well.  Having an understanding (or at least tolerant) significant other, is a blessing.  At least my 'vice' doesn't involve gambling, hard drugs or any other potentially damaging or dangerous habit.  It's kind of weird but mild compared to some things others consider to be Fun but I find mystifying.

So I get it - I just don't fully understand it myself and I'm a practicer of it.  LOL. 

-Windebieste.

georgeromero

georgeromero

You guys are crazy, for buying an x amount of a same figure. I'm just kidding. Nothing wrong with that.

Windebieste, your last post is what I agree with. It all starts with fun and continues for God knows how much. Excitement and hunting are the most fun parts of being a collectioner. I enjoy most Sci-fi and horror movies, games and comic books. Owning characters from those franchises is full of positive feelings, including nostalgia. I don't play with that much with my figures but whenever I am in my room I stare at them and think of how cool they look. Sometimes I pose them in different poses and etc.

As for other people, most people are judgemental in some ways. Since your average guy/gal (no offense) can't appreciate the beauty of figures they can come to varying views and conclusions towards collecting. But we do what we enjoy and there's nothing they say that will change it. Instead it would be better if people learned to accept others' hobbies or whatever and respect it.

Yesterday I was talking to my cousin and the subject was toys. I could see it in his eyes if it were up to him he would be against me collecting and spending money on useless stuff. That's what most people think on collectors!
Guess what? I don't give a damn about it anymore. I am also grateful for having a wife who also shares similar tastes. That and she's also into collecting fun stuff.

Another thing. I have missed some cool toys this year and the only way I can afford them goes like this. Instead of taking a vacation I have decided to spend my money on action figures. How crazy is that? Is that normal? I guess not. Instead of thinking whether I should do or not I'll just go for it. Money can be earned again no matter how though it is to do these days. It's much better choice than having regrets later thinking 'why I skipped these'.

I may have gone off topic but that's what I think of this matter. Have fun collecting my fellow collectors!

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

LAWNMOWERMAN, I believe there's an international law that states you are required to open those commandos immediately, and take some awesome pics for us. Please respect the law. :D

I have two of the commando, and would gladly buy at least two more! Army building is lots of fun, I agree completely.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I used to have the NECA Aliens Warrior, Original Alien, AVPR Warrior and Predalien.  Threw them out or gave them away, though.  Done with collecting stuff.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: georgeromero on Jul 03, 2016, 01:04:21 PM
You guys are crazy, for buying an x amount of a same figure.  I'm just kidding. Nothing wrong with that.

YES!!!1!! 

I never denied it.

Then again there's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of 'crazy'. :P

-Windebieste.

drsmuts

drsmuts

Series 8 has hit the UK it seems. Hopefully my Ripley and WY commando will be on my way to me in the next few days!

Still no news on Newt potentially reaching these shores. My guess it will be the same figure in different packaging with tweaks to the contents.

lightsyder

lightsyder

I think newt is sdcc only, right?  Or does neca release them later outside the US?

windebieste

windebieste

I'd be very surprised if they don't issue a full public release edition.  Newt is a popular character and NECA have a decent track record of releasing such items.  I think it's an entirely fresh sculpt, too, so it would make sense to maximise return on the investment with greater market penetration by having a general release of the figure.  So yes.  I'd say it will happen.  Maybe it will have alternate packaging to differentiate the SDCC version with the mass market releases. 

In the end, who really knows?  We'll just have to wait for an announcement.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Randy has been saying on Twitter that as it stands it's SDCC-exclusive but he is looking for other ways to release. Something to do with their contract.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

I've been looking into getting a few NECA Aliens figures. I was thinking of starting with either the re-release of the '79 Alien they did a few months ago, the Alien Isolation Xenomorph, or the Alien vs Predator set based on the old Kenner line {I still have the original figures that set was based on}

Any recommendations?

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

I think you can't go wrong with any of those. NECA makes the best figures. My personal preferences are the marines and other human characters. I have a Hicks, Hudson and Dallas still in the packaging and a WY Commando on the way.

I wanted to pick up another Hicks but the price more than doubled since I got the original a year ago!

Do you guys keep yours in the package or open them to make displays and stuff, or both?

Master

Master

I open all of my figures and keep em nicely displayed (or I will in near future  :laugh:)

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

That's cool I was thinking of doing that too, I need more figures first lol. There's some cool homemade displays in here...

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Deathbearer on Jul 06, 2016, 10:00:56 PM
I've been looking into getting a few NECA Aliens figures. I was thinking of starting with either the re-release of the '79 Alien they did a few months ago, the Alien Isolation Xenomorph, or the Alien vs Predator set based on the old Kenner line {I still have the original figures that set was based on}

Any recommendations?

You really can't go wrong with any of those.  The reissued Big Chap is very good - the coloration of the dome may be your deciding factor there.  The 'ALIEN: Isolation' figure, Stompy, is wonderful; and if you've played the game, it is a great representation of the Creature.  As for the 'AvP' tribute set, it will look great alongside your existing pair of figures as a companion set. 

They are all good figures you are considering.  You'll have to make your mind up but my preference is for Stompy.   The figure is largely derived from the Big Chap, anyway.   He's a terrific figure and let's face it - there's only one Stompy.  Once sold out, he'll be a true collectible. 

That is, unless he is re-issued by NECA or made by some other company - and I see chances of that being relatively low.

-Windebieste.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Thanks for the advice. I really want all of them, but I'm not made of cash so I gotta pace myself. Big Chap has gotten redone like twice so I'm not too worried about obtaining him. Looks like it's either Stompy {had no idea he had a nickname. Now that I have a PS4 I can finally play Isolation :3} or the Kenner tribute since I have some major nostalgia for that set.

I will never take them out of their boxes. It is a sin. Also NECA can be kind of dodgy on quality control. Seen too many stories of shit breaking to risk freeing them from their plastic prisons.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed