Dark Horse Announces New Comic Series, Alien: The Original Screenplay!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 16, 2020, 08:06:38 PM

Author
Dark Horse Announces New Comic Series, Alien: The Original Screenplay! (Read 94,617 times)

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 23, 2020, 05:23:30 PM

Imagine if you have to purchase the hardcover to finish the story... :(

I was actually thinking that may be the case. Lol. It's effectively what we have to do for Hunters III and Thicker Than Blood.

Rambo

I'd be pretty disappointed if they do. And you'd have a tough time convincing me it's not a ploy to force tpb sales in lieu of single issue sales to the same people.

Voodoo Magic

Agreed.

Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 23, 2020, 05:29:24 PM
I was actually thinking that may be the case. Lol. It's effectively what we have to do for Hunters III and Thicker Than Blood.

But the difference is, if I'm recollecting correctly, with Hunters and Thicker than Blood, the remaining individual issues were canceled post Covid19 shutdown. Based on economic and license issues, it all stopped. That's much different than starting a comic series post shutdown with the no intention to release the final issue (if that indeed is what happens.)

Russ840

Russ840

It's not that different really. Why could DH not have released the last 2 issues for the other two series between now and Dec.

If Dark Horse can sell the Trades for the other two series  they should have finished releasing those issues first seen as they were 50% released. Especially if they can bang out a 5 issue series before then that started releasing after the Shutdown.

Based on that. It's the same to me. That's why I wouldn't put it past them.

Although....... I think I can agree that it is a bit Shadier to release 4 issues of the series, knowing that they would not finish it, to bump up trade sales.

Nightmare Asylum

COVID really messed with printing schedules badly. Even Marvel had to cancel a lot of their physical issues and just do digital and then TPBs instead.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 23, 2020, 06:14:15 PM
It%u2019s not that different really. Why could DH not have released the last 2 issues for the other two series between now and Dec.

If Dark Horse can sell the Trades for the other two series  they should have finished releasing those issues first seen as they were 50% released. Especially if they can bang out a 5 issue series before then that started releasing after the Shutdown.

Based on that. It%u2019s the same to me. That%u2019s why I wouldn't put it past them.

Meaning the cancelations can be excused due to the market. Economies have dipped. Comic Shops have closed since Covid19.  Less people are walking into any retail stores with health fears where a lionshare individual comic sales occur (unlike trades transactions where a majority occur online).  And printer's schedules were backed up. You make market decisions and Predator and AvP are not big sellers. I get all that. Who can fault them for that. But starting an Alien individual comic series after the shutdown with no intention to finish it, you can fault them for it.

But watch Dark Horse release the final issue in December and we don't even need to have this conversation.   :)

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 23, 2020, 06:28:11 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 23, 2020, 06:14:15 PM
It%u2019s not that different really. Why could DH not have released the last 2 issues for the other two series between now and Dec.

Based on that. It%u2019s the same to me. That%u2019s why I wouldn't put it past them.

Meaning the cancelations can be excused due to the market. Economies have dipped. Comic Shops have closed since Covid19.  Less people are walking into any retail stores with health fears where a lionshare individual comic sales occur (unlike trades transactions where a majority occur online).  And printer's schedules were backed up. You make market decisions and Predator and AvP are not big sellers. I get all that. Who can fault them for that. But starting an Alien individual comic series after the shutdown with no intention to finish it, you can fault them for it.

But watch Dark Horse release the final issue in December and we don't even need to have this conversation.   :)

Agreed. As per my modified post.

And yeah, I can also see the releasing it alongside the HC. Singles for Dec have not been solicited for yet where as collections always get advanced solicits.

Just to poke the fire a bit more though. They could have released those other issues (cancelled ones) digital only.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 23, 2020, 06:32:43 PM

Agreed. As per my modified post.

And yeah, I can also see the releasing it alongside the HC. Singles for Dec have not been solicited for yet where as collections always get advanced solicits.

Just to poke the fire a bit more though. They could have released those other issues (cancelled ones) digital only.

Very true!

Russ840

Issue 2 is a good read. I love the art. Really enjoy seeing this through someone else's eyes and comparing it to how i imagined to original script when I read it. Especially the pyramid sequence.

Everything is playing out as expected.

Looking forward to issue 3.

Prez

Picked up issue 1 from my local today. A little bit of final history in my hands.

Russ840

Quote from: Prez on Sep 02, 2020, 01:58:47 PM
Picked up issue 1 from my local today. A little bit of final history in my hands.

Issue 2 is out today. Did they not have it ?

Stitch

Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 21, 2020, 08:21:11 AM
https://www.darkhorse.com/Search/Alien

So issue 4's cover and release date is on Dark Horse's website. Not sure how this is going to work.  The release date is Nov 4th.

Well the Hardcover is released on Dec 2nd so....... when is issue 5 going to release ?
Happened with Gears of War: Hivebusters. The issues got massively delayed, and only released digitally I think, for awhile. Then the TPB got released as the final issue came out, I believe.
It also, for a time, was scheduled to be released before the final issue.

Prez

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 02, 2020, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: Prez on Sep 02, 2020, 01:58:47 PM

Issue 2 is out today. Did they not have it ?

Picked that up today  ;D
In Australia our new shipments arrive on Thursday.

bobby brown

fun read. But the artis has to be tracing a lot from Prometheus right?

Facehugger design was a bit lacking.

Russ840

Quote from: bobby brown on Sep 03, 2020, 07:37:00 AM
fun read. But the artis has to be tracing a lot from Prometheus right?

Facehugger design was a bit lacking.

What makes you think that it's traced from prometheus?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed