The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 190,820 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Sabby on Jan 23, 2014, 10:24:23 AM
Does anyone know any good examples of Cosmic Horror? I did love when Lovecraft involved space.

Book, or film? If it's film you're looking for Alien is probably the best example (but it is safe to assume you've seen that ;) ).

Event Horizon is pretty cool too, and I'd also recommend Hellboy (though that one doesn't take place in space, it most certainly involves a cosmic horror).

A few other films that'd I'd recommend that deal with Lovecraftian themes but don't really go into space are The Mist and John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy (The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In The Mouth Of Madness). You could also throw The Cabin In The Woods in there (though that one is much more in theme than in design, and it treats the style in an odd way-- I love it though, one of my favorite movies ever).

Sabby

Sabby

Thanks for the suggestions :) I actually found a really good example of what I'm after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZuv3TFt7Ig

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 23, 2014, 02:35:56 PM
Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Jan 22, 2014, 09:46:34 PM
Finally watched In The Mouth Of Madness. Can't believe I'd not done so before.

Isn't that film incredible? My girl and I watched it a few weeks back and we enjoyed it; trippiest film we'd ever seen.

Absolutely. I really enjoyed the parts with reality breaking down or looping, and I'm always down for some Sam Neill. Great stuff, 8.5/10.

Quote from: Sabby on Jan 23, 2014, 03:36:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :) I actually found a really good example of what I'm after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZuv3TFt7Ig

Hellboy has some serious touches of that in places. Also strongly recommend Event Horizon if you've not seen it. And of course, one could make a case for Prometheus fitting in here.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Jan 23, 2014, 06:59:30 PM
ellboy has some serious touches of that in places.

Spoiler
[close]

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Spoiler
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Heh, link came from OZ's blog. Awesome. Anyways, Sabby, if you haven't already seen Hellboy I highly recommend it. The sequel is fantastic as well, but it deals with more of a mythological/folklore based style of horror than the Lovecraftian elements of the first.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: ShadowPred on Mar 16, 2013, 02:44:44 AM
I've been told that my new art style was badass enough for people to suggest that I do drawings based on Lovecraft's stories, and uh...I decided to have a go at the creatures that are talked about in The Whisperer in Darkness:

Spoiler
[close]

^^^ I decided to redraw the Mi-Go, or whatever it's called that I drew a while back.

Here it is:

Spoiler

and:

[close]

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

....that is just so BAWSE!

8) 8) 8)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Holy shit, that's really cool. The coloring in the first one is great, but I think I find myself drawn into the atmosphere of the black and white one even more. Nice work man.

Any particular story you read to inspire you to draw that?

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 25, 2014, 02:30:54 AM
Holy shit, that's really cool. The coloring in the first one is great, but I think I find myself drawn into the atmosphere of the black and white one even more. Nice work man.

Any particular story you read to inspire you to draw that?

Well it came from Whisperer in The Darkness when I read it, but these new drawings are just a revised and much clearer version of the one I drew back in 2012. Thanks for the kind words as well.

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jan 25, 2014, 02:30:06 AM
....that is just so BAWSE!

8) 8) 8)

f**k yes it is.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

...now draw MECHACTHULHU.

(and his cyborg sidekick Monster X)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 25, 2014, 02:32:08 AM
Well it came from Whisperer in The Darkness when I read it, but these new drawings are just a revised and much clearer version of the one I drew back in 2012.

Nice. Guess I know what the next short story I'm reading will be ;D

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jan 25, 2014, 02:32:21 AM
...now draw MECHACTHULHU.

(and his cyborg sidekick Monster X)

LOL, I was pleading to Cvalda for this idea to go through!

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 25, 2014, 02:33:29 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 25, 2014, 02:32:08 AM
Well it came from Whisperer in The Darkness when I read it, but these new drawings are just a revised and much clearer version of the one I drew back in 2012.

The very first one I read too, damn good.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

:D MechaCthulhu bound to be popular with lil kids. X)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 25, 2014, 02:33:29 AM
The Whisperer in Darkness if my fav Lovecraft story. Even if the main character is kind of an idiot.

Too bad the HPLHS movie adaptation didn't measure up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed