Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 211,810 times)

DC

DC

Once again.

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

I am honestly surprised anyone is religious on AVPG to be honest.  I am borderline atheist.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Predator Queen on Sep 19, 2013, 06:24:02 AM
I am honestly surprised anyone is religious on AVPG to be honest.  I am borderline atheist.
Wait, first you say that you're surprised that anyone is religious and then you say that you're borderline atheist?  ???

DC

DC

On the forum...

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I know...

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 19, 2013, 06:27:34 AM
Quote from: Predator Queen on Sep 19, 2013, 06:24:02 AM
Wait, first you say that you're surprised that anyone is religious and then you say that you're borderline atheist?  ???
I am not religious per say? I am not really sure how to describe it.

Sabby

Sabby

Your sitting on the fence basically. Or not really concerned with the fence. I think there's been more then one Apatheists in here so far, so your not alone :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOexLf0YVOU#ws

Crying from laughter xD

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 19, 2013, 02:48:10 AM
I've never heard of a "militant atheist". This sounds like a debate I had with mal yonks ago, but I will say that atheists are not violent people like some (key word) religious folks are. There are people who give atheists a bad name but they do not commit acts in the name of atheism.

Yep there are the few that give the rest a bad name unfortunately both religious and atheists :(

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: jeffchow on Sep 19, 2013, 02:32:56 AM
I already explained what a militant atheist was there was no need answer you'll find it was quite accurate and yes you proved my point by not backing yourself up You're getting defensive now admittedly at a high school level
I get it: if someone responds to you in a rational manner then they are defensive. Plus, you accuse others of your own misdoings. Got it.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 19, 2013, 02:48:10 AMI've never heard of a "militant atheist". This sounds like a debate I had with mal yonks ago, but I will say that atheists are not violent people like some (key word) religious folks are. There are people who give atheists a bad name but they do not commit acts in the name of atheism.
A "militant atheist" is a person who doesn't believe in gods or goddesses and writes books about it and who explain why they don't want religious influence in secular settings. Here's their danger level:

Quote from: SM on Sep 19, 2013, 04:56:35 AM
All that's missing is
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/youre-not-the-boss-of-me.png
Snarkiness aside, that is missing, especially with the way the Xtian Right are trying to put their influence on the secular.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 18, 2013, 08:31:10 PM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 18, 2013, 08:23:02 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 18, 2013, 06:20:32 PM
Mental illness and having faith in a religion are two different things.

But they are alike in many ways, namely not being able to tell what's real or not. In a more perfect world, religionists would be sent to a looney bin.

You can't disprove or prove any religion.
Your "in a more perfect world" comment also leads me to believe you're one of "those" Atheists and you judge people based more on their religious beliefs rather than just being tolerant of it and letting it be.

People forget that we are in a war against irrationality and illogic. Why should rational and sexy atheists tolerate religionist fundie terrorists and child f*cking priests? We as a civilization would be better off and 1,000 years more advanced if Christianity and Islam never rooted itself into the trench it's dug itself into.

Sabby

Sabby

Religion is a biproduct of the real problem though, not the actual cause. I realize a lot of Atheists blame Christianity for the ills of the first world, but really, these stem from a lack of education and quality of life.

If we improved the living conditions, happiness and intelligence of the average citizen, Religion would shrivel up. Maybe not disappear, but it would be practiced entirely differently then we see now. It wouldn't be this constant and misguided opposition to social change and scientific facts like it is now, it would just be a 'spiritual' element to people who don't allow it to interfere with their reasoning skills.

That's a world I want, and if anyone wanted to try and twist that into 'lol your so entolrent', then they're f**king idiots grasping at anything they can find.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

You're not gonna get anywhere with people if you're calling them, "f**king idiots."

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 19, 2013, 05:05:07 PM
People forget that we are in a war against irrationality and illogic. Why should rational and sexy atheists tolerate religionist fundie terrorists and child f*cking priests? We as a civilization would be better off and 1,000 years more advanced if Christianity and Islam never rooted itself into the trench it's dug itself into.
Where's your evidence?

DC

DC

QuoteYou're not gonna get anywhere with people if you're calling them, "f**king idiots."

Maybe that wasn't his goal? He was making a point, and it doesn't need your approval. It never needed mine, yet I still approve, I never tried to assert my word as somehow being 'authoritative', now did I? He doesn't need to convince you of anything, knowing you I wouldn't bother . . .

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

But they are alike in many ways, namely not being able to tell what's real or not. In a more perfect world, religionists would be sent to a looney bin.

Your "in a more perfect world" comment also leads me to believe you're one of "those" Atheists and you judge people based more on their religious beliefs rather than just being tolerant of it and letting it be.

Before Christianity or Islam other religions existed, Paganism for example. If Christianity and Islam didn't exist there would be another form of them in its place. So the argument that if those 2 particular religions didn't exist we would be better off is invalid.
Religion isn't the problem with the world, its the people that use it as an excuse to cause conflict that's the problem.
I know more people who keep their religion to themselves and have no problem with other's choice in religion or their lack of choice in one for that matter.
The only people I've met who advertise their beliefs (or lack there of) and that I've felt have looked down on me or other because of mine are Atheists. A little more than half of the ones I've dealt with have been nice people to talk to, and have carried on friendly debates about God vs Science (etc), I've also met the ones that have been nothing more than a snobby attitude, pretentious douche bags.

The way you say religion is a problem for the world I could say Atheism is a problem for society. Neither argument really works because it isn't the beliefs as a whole that are the problem, but rather the individual and how they choose to act.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 19, 2013, 06:12:10 PM

Before Christianity or Islam other religions existed, Paganism for example. If Christianity and Islam didn't exist there would be another form of them in its place. So the argument that if those 2 particular religions didn't exist we would be better off is invalid.
Religion isn't the problem with the world, its the people that use it as an excuse to cause conflict that's the problem.
I know more people who keep their religion to themselves and have no problem with other's choice in religion or their lack of choice in one for that matter.
The only people I've met who advertise their beliefs (or lack there of) and that I've felt have looked down on me or other because of mine are Atheists. A little more than half of the ones I've dealt with have been nice people to talk to, and have carried on friendly debates about God vs Science (etc), I've also met the ones that have been nothing more than a snobby attitude, pretentious douche bags.

The way you say religion is a problem for the world I could say Atheism is a problem for society. Neither argument really works because it isn't the beliefs as a whole that are the problem, but rather the individual and how they choose to act.

I share your views on this JWP.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed