The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 65,137 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well yeah 40k ripped off a ton (and I mean a TON) of stuff, but it managed to give it its own flavor and "lore" over the decades to the point that it really is its own animal even if you can see the lineage of a lot of its ideas. Like I daresay the depth and breadth of lore, art, and backstory can give any other fictional setting a run for its money. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, you name it. There is just a mind-boggling amount of material about literally every faction in 40k that stretches as far as the eye can see.

Starcraft managed to become its own thing over time, but when it was in development it literally started as a 40k game (just as Warcraft was a Warhammer game) and then the licensing deal fell through, so it turned into a 40k game with the serial numbers filed off.

Like don't get me wrong, I played the absolute shit out of Starcraft and Brood War and read the same original trilogy of novels and enjoyed them thoroughly, and someday I'll get off my ass and actually play Starcraft II and probably have a good time with it, and I was gutted when Starcraft: Ghost got canned (and I still burn a candle for Nova and was thrilled when she got some time in the spotlight in Heroes of the Storm and got her own action figure and everything).

But Zerg are totally (inferior) Tyranids. :P

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Ivan The Insect

Ivan The Insect

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 24, 2022, 01:40:21 AM
But Zerg are totally (inferior) Tyranids. :P

Visually and as a threat I adore the Nids a lot, more than any other swarmer race in fiction (behind the Arachnids but that's a personal thing) but the Zerg operate in a way that's pretty unique to the trope. They are more like cancer than a space locust swarm and there lies their nightmarish potential.
The Tyranids consume entire solar systems and eventually galaxies and leave them lifeless and stripped of any resources... but that's the thing, they're a galactic extinction wave that keeps moving forward, while any planet or system the Zerg take remains theirs forever, they literally consume and assimilate the very planet they infect.

Funnily enough the (movie) Arachnids from SST are the sweet middle ground in this case. They are both sweeping locusts and remain on the planets probably indefinitely (depending on the version and there's a lot, I believe the most overpowered is either the RPG/tabletop Bugs or the Roughnecks ones), they just work way too slow and are after all closer to realistic organisms than the insane powerhouse that are the Nids or the cancerous viral Zerg.

And yeah I was pissed when Ghost went nowhere... It had the right feel and aesthetic of the original game unlike the direction SC2 took. I'm not against SC2 at all but it feels a lot more like WarCraft in space then it did Aliens meets SST and gives birth to a malformed 40k long lost evil twin half-brother.
And yes I know SC1 was labeled as WC in space but hey, irony am I right?

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

A faction has coming out of hiding.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Trazyn is my spirit animal.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Which one of you has the bigger collection?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 06, 2022, 12:14:42 AM
Which one of you has the bigger collection?
Trazyn, but I'm gaining.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is he both cool and good? ???

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Hell yeah he is.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

@Xenomrph Tell me about Space Hulk: Tactics.  Is it both cool and good?  It's on sale right now.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/space-hulk-tactics/bxztb63ntg3p?rtc=1

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Haven't played it. Space Hulk: Deathwing Enhanced Edition, on the other hand, is a real good time. Necromunda Hired Gun (by the same studio) is also a hoot so far.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 04, 2022, 05:49:01 AMHaven't played it.

But are you going to buy it?  Your backlog must grow and it's dirt cheap.

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 04, 2022, 05:49:01 AMSpace Hulk: Deathwing Enhanced Edition, on the other hand, is a real good time. Necromunda Hired Gun (by the same studio) is also a hoot so far.

You didn't say it was cool though.

I just want to be a damn Space Marine so I can kill lots of xenos and heretics.  Won't someone just give me that game?  I don't want to be an Inquisitor or Tech Priest.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 04, 2022, 08:12:24 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 04, 2022, 05:49:01 AMHaven't played it.

But are you going to buy it?  Your backlog must grow and it's dirt cheap.

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 04, 2022, 05:49:01 AMSpace Hulk: Deathwing Enhanced Edition, on the other hand, is a real good time. Necromunda Hired Gun (by the same studio) is also a hoot so far.

You didn't say it was cool though.

I just want to be a damn Space Marine so I can kill lots of xenos and heretics.  Won't someone just give me that game?  I don't want to be an Inquisitor or Tech Priest.
Get Deathwing, it is cool AND good and you get to murder the shit out of hordes of Genestealer cultists and Genestealers.

The level design is fantastic, too.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

But it's a PS4/PC exclusive.  I only have Xbox.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed