What made you unhappy today?

Started by First Blood, Jan 18, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Author
What made you unhappy today? (Read 589,450 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Reminded again of why I don't do fast-food. I feel like I've been poisoned.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Been up since 3am with stomach pains.  :'(

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Will you take the day off?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I was actually planning on. But I don't know how I'm supposed to call in under my new job role/structure, and I don't actually know my bosses proper names to email them to ask, and my legacy work PC died last week and my quickly put together replacement won't let me remote onto it...so...I'm going to work. I should have brought home my new work laptop last week like I planned...At least my stomach has stopped hurting, and it's just tiredness now.  :-\

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you find out how to call in sick today?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I did find out but I'm not in pain today, just tired. Fitful night of sleep, but otherwise fine.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

I'm changing focus from strawberry gardening to growing fig trees, after frustration and burnout from always trying to find a better berry and it not being better, or no availability of the kind I want to try.
Strawberry growing is taking any two restaurant menus that have way too many dishes on the menu, and then having people swear by a dozen or so varieties as being the best, then after timely research you find the best handful through reviews, but they aren't sold by anyone, or 99.9% of their availability is on another continent, or you find a plant nursery with the variety you want that is less than 200 hundred miles away, but won't ship. Or the plant is only permitted to be grown by certain growers, who then sell their "gourmet strawberry" for $5 or more a berry (Japan is an offender of this kind).

Of the 20-30 varieties I've tried, most strawberries are generic and vary only slightly in acidity and tartness and sweetness and least important, appearance. Once in a while, you come across one that has a different flavor, or more flavor than typical, with some tasting almost like a different fruit than the others. In addition to regular garden strawberries, I have tried alpine, musk, and pine berry. The latter three were utter disappointments, especially for the reputation they (seem to) hold. Their biggest flaw is that they are just not a tasty red berry. Pineberry having no special flavor, being small, and the plants unproductive. Alpine and musk are just not easily produced in the quantity needed to best enjoy their flavor, but even then I think I would not appreciate them the way I could a regular strawberry. Hood and Sonata where the best garden types I have tasted.

At this point it is not worth being a strawberry enthusiast because I have been burned multiple times now by locating and growing strawberries that were supposed to be "the ultimate," and were only barely average or were a below average experience. To take it even further, I'd have to locate suppliers for these supposed premium heirloom types, which is virtually impossible for my part of the world, and I have to remind myself that no fruit is life changing (despite people constantly implying that in their reviews of a strawberry).

In my opinion, with figs, as long as you don't grow brown turkey, you can't grow wrong, and the fruit is every bit as enjoyable or more than the best strawberry ever could be, so this is what I'll be working on. I have two trees currently, a 6 foot unknown green type, and a negronne just starting. With figs, you either live where they grow wild and abundantly so they're not a big deal, or like me you live where you can technically grow them but can almost never buy fresh ones (and when you can, they are never as good as home grown), or you can't grow/get them at all. The fig itself that we eat, oddly enough, is a flower, while strawberry is not a berry and the good part is only an accessory fruit. I suppose it is a sense of incompleteness that is making me unhappy, since I have to quit before tasting a truly large range of strawberries, but I remind myself I was never going to get to try the japanese kinds, or the special plants used in cultivation with often unique characteristics.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Your knowledge on this subject is very impressive. I hope the fig crop is successful for you.

Baron Von Marlon

Have you tried growing the devil's lettuce?
I've heard it's very relaxing.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jun 24, 2021, 05:21:09 AM
Have you tried growing the devil's lettuce?
I've heard it's very relaxing.
Not legal to grow here. Sold everywhere, though.

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Jun 24, 2021, 05:06:29 AM

Your knowledge on this subject is very impressive. I hope the fig crop is successful for you.
My knowledge seems tiny when I see someone involved in breeding them make a comment, or someone that's gotten to try many heirloom types. I do wish I kept my notes on all the types I tried, as I do not remember what most of them were called.

If I am not too lazy about it, I may get around to posting pics. I have one breba and a dozen or so smaller than pinky nail figs coming in right now, and a cherry tomato bush the size of a loveseat. All the other things are out of season and so not too interesting to photograph.

Picked up a book on mushroom growing, so if I do not have the same sourcing issue I may have a new hobby. I have only attempted this once in the past with a mushroom grow kit, though nothing happened despite following the directions to the letter. And I currently don't have a raspberry bush, so there's one more thing.
__
And with figs, apparently several dozen types can be grafted on to one tree to only take up the space of one tree. I can feel my enjoyment of the horror genre kicking. :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Both conventions I'd booked into this year pushed back again. Understand why, obviously, but still kinda bleh.  :'(

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Haven't felt 100% since my covid vaccinations and I'm wondering if its related or just coincidence.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Hope you feel better soon and it's just a case of the latter. My family has been blessed no one has had any serious reaction to the vaccine. Even members with health issues.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Jun 24, 2021, 01:27:53 PM

Hope you feel better soon and it's just a case of the latter. My family has been blessed no one has had any serious reaction to the vaccine. Even members with health issues.

Much appreciated Dg, thanks, and good to hear!

SiL

SiL

Which one did you get? How long ago?

Astra Zenicca(sic) is meant to make you feel most lousy after the first dose and Pfizer, the second.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed